Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a couple weeks ago about my troubles get a set of Michelin pro-race tires on Campy Vento wheels. I finally got them on. I figured that once I road them a while, they would stretch. NOT

I've put about 200 miles on the tires. This morning, sneaking out for 25 miles before work, I flatted about 7 miles from home. I had a heck of a time getting those tires off. It took me 30 minutes of prying, praying, cussing, spitting and brute strength to get those Michelins off the rim. I broke a tire lever in the process. Once I got them on, I wasn't taking any more risk. I headed home. Ruined the ride.

I am in the process of ordering some new tires....I dont' know which yet. But some tire that's easy to get off/on my Campy's. I have four sets of new to like new Michelins which will be reserved for my OP's and Neuvations only. My hands still hurt from prying off those damn tires.............

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Bummer.

I'd go Maxxis Columbere. It took 5 minutes of cursing to put them on my 06 Ventos when they were new. Now that they've stretched, I took them off to test how it would be. 30 Seconds and one tire lever later, they came off. They are good tires too.

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
does anybody use Soma tire levers? they've got a steel core which would prevent one of the issues you're having. i still carry steel and plastic levers. sorry you're not happy with the michelins...

PaulCL said:
I posted a couple weeks ago about my troubles get a set of Michelin pro-race tires on Campy Vento wheels. I finally got them on. I figured that once I road them a while, they would stretch. NOT

I've put about 200 miles on the tires. This morning, sneaking out for 25 miles before work, I flatted about 7 miles from home. I had a heck of a time getting those tires off. It took me 30 minutes of prying, praying, cussing, spitting and brute strength to get those Michelins off the rim. I broke a tire lever in the process. Once I got them on, I wasn't taking any more risk. I headed home. Ruined the ride.

I am in the process of ordering some new tires....I dont' know which yet. But some tire that's easy to get off/on my Campy's. I have four sets of new to like new Michelins which will be reserved for my OP's and Neuvations only. My hands still hurt from prying off those damn tires.............

·
Registered
492 Posts
I use Conti GP3000 on Eurus and mount them the first time with yellow Pedro's levers. Once on they're an easy to off/on. I'm going to try the GP4000s next. Hope they do as well.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bought some Vittoria's

Went to Probikekit.com They had Vittoria EVO's for $29 without any shipping charges. While online, I bought 3 tires (always need a spare), new set of tire levers and a Campy chain. I don't need the chain now, but will need it in about 1000 miles. Might as well bite the bullett all at once. I know the Vittoria's will go on/off the rim easily since I tried an old, worn out Corsa on the rims initially.

So tell me...at $29 per tire...why did I ever start buying Michelins' in the first place??? I used to use Vittoria Corsas only until they were discontinued. Then I got into Michelins. Since the dollar has rallied, the price of the Vittorias has come down again. Yeah!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am glad it's not just me who had trouble mounting a set of michelin pro race 2. I pinch flatted 2 tubes before finally getting them on and my thumbs ached for a few days. I will run them until I need a new set and hopefully they become easier to install and remove as time goes on as they stretch out a bit.

phx

·
Registered
529 Posts
Agree with Vittoria's

I have two sets of Campy wheels and the Vittorias (and Gommaitalias) went on without a problem or too much effort.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
My suggestion is to get rid of the Campy rims. I have a set of wheels with them 7 it's damm hard to get any tires on the $^& things.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
My suggestion is to get rid of the Campy rims. I have a set of wheels with them 7 it's damm hard to get any tires on the $^& things.
I was wondering why nobody blames the rims. The tires are standard and are the same as they have always been. It's the rim makers that have ignored getting the tire on/off in their haste to make lighter rims. - TF

·
Does it matter?
751 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
I was wondering why nobody blames the rims. The tires are standard and are the same as they have always been. It's the rim makers that have ignored getting the tire on/off in their haste to make lighter rims. - TF
I was thinking it might be a Frech/Italian Issue :). But that can't be. I have no problem putting Michelin Prorace tires on my Ambrosio Excellence rims.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Kwantani said:
This will fix your problem. It fixes mine. Yes, it'll take out/install Michelin tires on any rim, faster than you say bingo!

http://www.crankbrothers.com/speedlever.php
These are great. I've had one for years, but it's still a PITA to get tires on a Campy rim. Even with this excellent tool, I have to use soapy water as a lube.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
cwg_at_opc said:
does anybody use Soma tire levers? they've got a steel core which would prevent one of the issues you're having. i still carry steel and plastic levers. sorry you're not happy with the michelins...
Yes they are good levers. However, I cracked off the tip on one of the four I had bought taking a Michelin tire off to put Conti's on my wh-540 Shimano wheels for the same reason. Sorry this was a campy thread...;)

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Mersault said:
I was thinking it might be a Frech/Italian Issue :). But that can't be. I have no problem putting Michelin Prorace tires on my Ambrosio Excellence rims.
Excellence are OK, but try a Balance. Another rim where you would walk home on a cold day. - TF

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
cwg_at_opc said:
I used a pair this morning to remove a set of Nokian studded tires and install a pair of Ritchey Tom Slicks on a pair of Sun Rhyno Lite rims. These rims are very wide. The tires are very stiff. I broke a pair of levers when I first installed the studded tires in December. In fact, I had to resort to the rim gauging screwdriver.
I was worried that the steel core of the Soma levers didn't extend all the way to the tip, which is where I break tire levers. But they worked perfectly. However, if you're a weight weenie, the levers will negate any weight savings you achieved with carbon waterbottle cages.

·
Registered
260 Posts
ergott said:
Try the Veloplugs. They should be easy to find. You can read more info here.

http://velocityusa.com/accessories.php

-Eric
What's your experience using them?
I can't say I'm happy with them after put them on 2 set of wheels (yes, it's Velocity rim on my Xero XR1). Half of them fell off while I try to install the tire and tube!! I've to glue them to the rim, still it did not stay on the rim hole very well. Imagine you're trying change out flat on the road side and the plugs kept falling off !
It's looks good on paper, but while you changing flat, last thing I need is to worry about is something else falling off from the rim.

Kwan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts