Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts

Best I can do to link the video itself.

Edit: Someone crashed me out like that in the past. Yes, intentional. If I ever see the guy, I will maul him and take the assault charge. Put me out for a year.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for linking the video.

Crash happens at around the 3:20 mark, but you'll want to start watching around the 3:00 mark to watch the run in.

Apparently the DA is looking into this and see if this is possibly a felony. The downed rider is in bad shape, has head injury according to the various reports I've read. That's so f*up! This guy James Doyle needs to be sued and banned for life if he's got such a bad rap.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
After watching it again...

If I was the guy who was recording... I wouldn't have been able to stop myself from taking the ******* out for revenge.

And furthermore, the dude seriously needs to be beat with a baseball bat in the head. He needs to be beaten into unconsciousness and suffer for as long as possible. He should be paralyzed, have his tendons severed so he can't walk again.

Some bullshit loss of license or whatever is not even close to good enough. This man needs a real lesson taught to him.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After watching it again...

If I was the guy who was recording... I wouldn't have been able to stop myself from taking the ******* out for revenge.

And furthermore, the dude seriously needs to be beat with a baseball bat in the head. He needs to be beaten into unconsciousness and suffer for as long as possible. He should be paralyzed, have his tendons severed so he can't walk again.

Some bullshit loss of license or whatever is not even close to good enough. This man needs a real lesson taught to him.
you got it. The guy doing the filming called out James Doyle's name immediate. It was as if he was expecting the move from Doyle to happen. Perhaps he's seen this bs before. I just hope that Johnny guy is ok, because a head injury is serious stuff, especially if all you're doing is racing for peanuts to begin with.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Reading the comments on the link in the original blog post, it has happened before, many times.

Apparently there is more video of the rest of the race where the guy is barking out names at other riders, basically in a rage.

Dude is a hazard to anyone near him on a bike.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Yeah, there needs to be a special little circle of Dante's hell for a douchebag like that.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
if he's such a widely-known dirty rider, seems like something could be done to adjust his riding style...

possibly get a dozen concerned individuals to hold an 'intervention' in a dark alley and help him see the error of his ways.

why would other racers tolerate someone who intentionally causes severe harm to riders?

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
If I was the victim, I'd ask the police what they thought of it.

If that guy indeed has a reputation for that kind of stuff, sounds to me like he needs to get his top tube sawn through next ride he shows up at.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
That type of thing happens dozens of a times a race. It's odd that would cause the guy to go down, but apparently he was caught totally unaware.

It's an aggressive move, but I wouldn't say outright he was trying to make the other guy crash. He was just being unnecessarily aggressive.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
If I was the victim, I'd ask the police what they thought of it.
And they would say what?

Police don't know anything about nor having anything to do with bike racing. That's a pretty silly idea.

This would be up to the officials and USAC only. As it should be.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
That type of thing happens dozens of a times a race. It's odd that would cause the guy to go down, but apparently he was caught totally unaware.

It's an aggressive move, but I wouldn't say outright he was trying to make the other guy crash. He was just being unnecessarily aggressive.
what was James Doyle trying to do there? Was he trying to go around Johnny? Doyle had a whole right side of the road to go around.

Johnny guy is also a trackie too so he's not new to being bumped, but wet road probably contributed to the crash

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
According to that blog, the police are investigating it as possible aggravated assault. In part because of some things that were said before and after. He basically admitted he crashed the guy out on purpose. I believe someone has that on GoPro.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
According to that blog, the police are investigating it as possible aggravated assault. In part because of some things that were said before and after. He basically admitted he crashed the guy out on purpose. I believe someone has that on GoPro.
I also read somewhere that Doyle even brag about crashing the guy out but then Doyle removed his post.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I saw this video a week ago and read the discussion on a FB page. As I watched the video multiple times and read posts, and then read a blog about Doyle, my opinion changed. It went something like this:

1. What a stupid move, very aggressive, I've seen this before, unintentional crash
2. Still a stupid move, but could have been intentional based on the fact that he was going to pass earlier and was squeezed out - thus frustrated and going to make it through the hole the second time for sure
3. Can't tell if intentional or not - would really love to hear any conversations between Doyle and other racers leading up to the crash
4. (read a blog stating that Doyle's MO on group rides and races is to squeeze through tight spots in the gutter) - seems like he was just trying to pass - poor decision - lowered shoulder so as not to get pushed into the curb
5. (read posts indicating that he has done this before and possibly bragged about crashing the other guy) - looks like he used the excuse of squeezing through to deliberately crash the other racer

My point is that this could have been a bad decision or it could have been a premeditated attempt to crash out another racer. The most important detail is intent. I've definitely been nearly pushed all the way into the curb in a corner, but it was purely an accident. I've also been nearly pushed into the curb in a corner, and I wasn't totally sure it was an accident. Very similar circumstances, but with different racers and different personalities.

I was really curious to see what people here would say about this video.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
what was James Doyle trying to do there? Was he trying to go around Johnny? Doyle had a whole right side of the road to go around.

Johnny guy is also a trackie too so he's not new to being bumped, but wet road probably contributed to the crash
He was trying to pass. I don't know why he'd pass on the left and not the right. Maybe there was a right turn coming up and he didn't want to get chopped? I don't know.

Wet road would have had nothing to do with that. His handlebars got hit. Normally you'd move your handlebars away and use your body to absorb a bump, which is why it seems he was caught off guard since he didn't do that.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
It doesn't seem absurd to me.

If there was malice and intent, it an assault. It doesn't matter that he was riding a bike, or even racing at the time.

I would honestly like to see the guy spend some time in a courtroom (civil and/or criminal), pondering his future.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 52 Posts