Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Id like to congratulate my boy Frank Schleck on an awesome victory today in the Amstel Gold. Looked like a painful and wet race. Im glad he finally got his most deserving win. And also id like to give honorable mention to Boogerd for finishing on the podium for the 5th year in a row.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
did Mikey Boogerd cry as usual?

hambinator said:
Id like to congratulate my boy Frank Schleck on an awesome victory today in the Amstel Gold. Looked like a painful and wet race. Im glad he finally got his most deserving win. And also id like to give honorable mention to Boogerd for finishing on the podium for the 5th year in a row.

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,977 Posts
Yes, what a beautiful race. Frank Shleck made his move, dangled up front for a while and won.

Wesemann, my what a ride. Holy effort there. The man is pure guts. How long did he ride solo and ride up front?? He seems crazy pulling the lead group like that but I think he just likes riding in the wind. As flaky as that lead group was, Wesemann was 100% determined. The group hesitated and Steffen shot out like a cannon.

Bettini is interesting. He clearly wanted to work for the win but everyone around him was was flaky. "There's too many gamblers in the group." said Ligett. Speaking of gamblers, that Boogerd is a loser. Runner-up that is. Never once did he work up front even as the race slipped away. He is the exact opposite of Wesemann.

francois

·
Registered
238 Posts
francois said:
Yes, what a beautiful race. Frank Shleck made his move, dangled up front for a while and won.

Wesemann, my what a ride. Holy effort there. The man is pure guts. How long did he ride solo and ride up front?? He seems crazy pulling the lead group like that but I think he just likes riding in the wind. As flaky as that lead group was, Wesemann was 100% determined. The group hesitated and Steffen shot out like a cannon.

Bettini is interesting. He clearly wanted to work for the win but everyone around him was was flaky. "There's too many gamblers in the group." said Ligett. Speaking of gamblers, that Boogerd is a loser. Runner-up that is. Never once did he work up front even as the race slipped away. He is the exact opposite of Wesemann.

francois
I guess the rule for the season has to be if a CSC rider goes in the last 20K, get on his wheel fast. What has happened to QS in the last two races? Are they all on break or just sleeping through the race?

Flecha looked completely cooked, that guy needs a break in a bad way. I really wish he had gone to CSC with Cancellara instead of to Rabo.

·
Registered
446 Posts
No doubt

Dwayne Barry said:
And then had the nerve to act as if he deserved better maybe even the win as he was crossing the line in third.
I thought the same thing. He didn't do squat, followed wheels all day and then when others made the race, and he sucks wheel and takes the sprint for third...

I'd love to know what the peloton thinks of him...

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
botto said:
did Mikey Boogerd cry as usual?
No he was smiling and kissed Schleck smack on the lips.

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,977 Posts
Asiago said:
I thought the same thing. He didn't do squat, followed wheels all day and then when others made the race, and he sucks wheel and takes the sprint for third...

I'd love to know what the peloton thinks of him...
He is a coward. Riders like that make cooperation in a chase group difficult. It only takes one or two wheelsuckers for a chase to break down.

Bettini kept looking back as if to say... "you guys want to lose??" He also sat up in frustration and waved riders to move up front.

At the bottom of the final climb, Wesemann launched as if the group was standing still. That's cause they were.

francois

·
Registered
530 Posts
Great win for Schleck. I had to read the live report after the fact (2 kids + Easter) but after the way Frank rode last year it's exciting to see him break through in a big one.

Nice tactics by CSC, too. Seemed to me the presence of Kroon had the whole chase group freaked out, with the exception of Wesemann who is becoming one of my favorite riders.

As for Boogerd... well... perhaps he didn't want to be the sap who leads out the winner once again, so wheelsucking it is. Francois, you say he's a coward, and I say at the least he lacks most of the guts that his teammate Erik Dekker has. Even in the foolish accidental leadouts of his past he behaved as though he didn't implicitly believe he could win. That TdF mountain stage is the one time I can recall that he threw it all to chance.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
dammit Gregg!

I had a whole lengthy post idsappear into the ether with another 'please log in' though I was already logged in. PHUUUUUUCK!

anyhow Wessemann was awesome, the ability to attack after being in a break(s) was inspiring, especially since after he was caught he seemed to have figured he was toast and was thus working for his teammates. He either had super legs or the heads of state playing "Not me, you go get him" worked against them in both sckelck and stephan's favor.

Schelck awesome, in his last few big races he's

attacked and gotten 2nd ( Zurich)
attacked and gottten 3rd ( Lombardy)
attacked and got caught by the peloton ( M-S-R)

so kids got a good set of stones. Boogered in retirement should pay attention. better to roll the dice and win or come close with panache than to suck wheel to a career of near misses.

nice work Frank, congrats, now Go Jens!

·
Registered
38 Posts
francois said:
Wesemann, my what a ride. Holy effort there. The man is pure guts. How long did he ride solo and ride up front?? He seems crazy pulling the lead group like that but I think he just likes riding in the wind.

Speaking of gamblers, that Boogerd is a loser. Runner-up that is. Never once did he work up front even as the race slipped away. He is the exact opposite of Wesemann.
I agree 100%!!!

How can anyone respect Boogard as a professional when he never does any of the freakin' work?!?! He never does any work. Has he ever placed in a race where he shared in the pulls and then attacked like a real champ? I believe the answer is no. He is one of the few pros I watch and hope crashes. He ruins the race for honorable men.

Afterall, the only win at Amstel for Boogerd is when he was a leach on Armstrong's wheel in the '98 AG where LA clearly did all of the work for the break and Booger stole it at the end.

Cowards like him get riden into the ditches in the 1-2-3 races!

Wesemann is the man. What an effort.

·
Banned
53 Posts
24Hours said:
How can anyone respect Boogard as a professional when he never does any of the freakin' work?!?! He never does any work. Has he ever placed in a race where he shared in the pulls and then attacked like a real champ? I believe the answer is no.
Moron,

Don't base your beliefs on watching one or two races. Boogerd has been at the top of the game for over a decade now, and is ESPECIALLY known for always working in the break. If anything, he always does too much work and gets **** for that. This time, like Amstel 99, there was a fast teammate just behind him, both times management thought he would come back and be a surer bet in the sprint. Also, Boogerd broke his foot a few weeks ago; it's a miracle he even was in the race, AND in front! That and his limited ability compared to, say, Superman, the Hulk or Merckx, made him not react on EVERY move of the others. If you saw the final, you should have noticed that Boogerd brought back a lot of escapes or was the first to react. Then after a while you have to gamble on another rider to do the work. Judging by his sprint up the Cauberg however he could have taken one more pull perhaps, after the Keutenberg towards Schleck ideally. On the other hand, he's not the most explosive of all and to jump from the group on the flat or downhill would probably have gotten him nowhere.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
yes oh genius yes

please give some examples of Boogered working too hard.

this years Amstel, sits at back of group, makes no effort to bridge and pips everyone left for 3rd. so foot musta been okay. I'm callin'BS on your 'miracle' crap.

last years Amstel, doesn't do a break sits in lead group gets pipped by DiLuca

year before Amstel,same as above gets pipped by Rebellin. when has he done a 'move' to get away?

Dekker was told to wait for Boogered by his DS, Dekker told him to get bent and beat LA honestly on the sprint. Clearly the most success recently that rabobank had in their home race was by telling the DS to take a hike. Michael, if told to wait, should have followed Eric's example as following the DS has done nothing but produce a string of 'also rans'.

by the time Boogered did anything it was too late. again, Bettini was race favorite, therefore marked, he made a go of it. Got brought back but at least he TRIED to get a win.

watch Boonen in R-V-V and P-R, both races he was the animator and the agitator. In one race it worked, in the other it isolated him, but again he TRIED to do something special.

this was Boogered last race on home soil, he should have tried something as well. he didn't so he will be remembered as he always was, the guy who played it safe and came in as a 'close but no trophy'.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
thx Francois

and I'd like to give Props to my mom for the memory. came by it naturally.

once again Schleck's last 4 Major races
attackand close
attack and close
attack and swept up
attack and won

that's what we call panache. I'm a fan. Now regarding guys who attack Go Jens in L-B-L and watch ole Vino not doing his share.

·
Registered
773 Posts
are there any websites showing rerun clips of the race? I missed OLN's Cyclysm and it's rerun today due to school.

I've checked eurosport.com but they dont have it and I don't wanna pay for cycling.tv premium service cuz college students are poor 'cept when it comes to their bikes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.