Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 328 lb. Clydesdale who originally started riding for fitness and weight loss. About a year and 3 months ago, I picked up The Abs Diet book from the current new books at the public library, and read it. Liking what I read, my wife and I decided to try it. It is a 6-week diet, but the dietary habits you start there can be continued. I was seeing results, losing weight slowly, but surely.

Then I got a new job, as the sales manager at a local bakery, you know, the old family-owned kind that makes Krispy Kreme and Dunkin' Donuts taste stale. (No offense meant, if you happen to work at those locations) Needless to say, trying to stay on that diet and working there wasn't likely. So, I decided that when I was good and tired of all the fattening and sugary products we sell, I would get back on the Abs Diet.

Has anyone else tried it?

BTW, do not confuse this with the Atkins Diet. I do not consider that a viable diet, especially in the absence of carbs. If I don't have carbs, I can't ride!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what the Abs Diet is all about. Like everyone else who's for real, I have a hard time disciplining myself to not eat unhealthy treats. I exercise, but still struggle with weight gain, and yet I am in better shape than many of my skinny friends. Thanks for the profound insight!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I wouldn't even bother running that by us on a message board. My 2 cents, go see a nutritionist.

When I was younger (like highschool younger), I worked the night shift at a "family owned" doughnut shop. You don't have a chance working where you are working...you have made it clear you don't have the willpower to stay away from the baked goods. I'm not blaming you, the stuff is amazing. I'm literally drooling right now thinking about the doughnuts we used to make, nothing compares to the family recipe stuff. But really man, 328 lbs whether you feel in shape or not can be trouble. That's a lot of work for a heart to do to get blood to everything. You're going to need a serious life style change if you want to make things work in the weight loss department, and I would say it would have to start by seeing a nutritionist and putting some feelers out to see if you can find a job somehwere that you won't be faced with so many temptations.

It's a catch 22. If you lose the weight, you'll feel better and be happier...but who in their right mind is going to buy from a bakery with a skinny sales manager:D

You got a wife and you got a bike...the way i see it those two things alone make it worth the sacrifice it will take to drop some lbs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I did the Abs Diet about a year and a half ago. I used to weigh 220 before I started. I lost over 20 pounds in the first 6 weeks and continued the plan. Now I weigh about 180. I don't do the diet really strictly anymore, but I still eat every couple hours and I eat healthy for the most part. I'm a big fan of that diet and I highly recommend it.

The one thing I have to say is that if you are going to do the diet, be really motivated to lose weight and stick to the diet. There is no reason not to stick to the diet. The food they recommend tastes great and you even get a cheat meal every week. They recommend doing weight lifting and not doing cardio, but when I did the diet I was running a lot. I got up to 3 to 5 miles a day, 4 days a week. I did that in addition to lifting weights 3 days a week. I push this diet to everyone who mentions to me that they want to lose weight. It is not a gimmick diet, and is a healthy lifestyle change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.