·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
turns out to be Danish :yesnod:

CSC announces their Tour team, with oddly enough, no Danes :frown2:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun19news2

cyclingnews said:
Team CSC's Tour de France line-up 2006 has been officially announced. Led by team director Bjarne Riis, the Danish squad will be composed of the following riders: Ivan Basso, Carlos Sastre, Fränk Schleck, Jens Voigt, Giovanni Lombardi, Stuart O'Grady, Bobby Julich, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde.
Ain't globalism the Shizzle! :smilewinkgrin:

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
To be fair, CSC is actually an American company, which sponsers the team through it's Danish branch. Much like the former Liberty team.

I'm glad to see Zabriskie made though.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Einstruzende said:
To be fair, CSC is actually an American company, which sponsers the team through it's Danish branch. Much like the former Liberty team.

I'm glad to see Zabriskie made though.
i'm not complaining.

who knows, if things work out in their odd little way, then CSC, Phonak, and Davitimon-Lotto might have more US riders than Discovery does this year :)

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
adaml said:
Thats a pretty stacked team when Fabian Cancellara doesn't make the team. I guess they needed climbers instead. That whole team looks pretty good.
Taking Giovanni Lombardi and Stuart O'Grady seems a little strange, considering that they want Basso to win the overall. I wonder if they are going to let O'Grady go after the green jersey, too. Personally, I would have taken Cancellara over the aging Lombardi.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mohair_chair said:
Taking Giovanni Lombardi and Stuart O'Grady seems a little strange, considering that they want Basso to win the overall. I wonder if they are going to let O'Grady go after the green jersey, too. Personally, I would have taken Cancellara over the aging Lombardi.
IIRC I read or heard something on belgian TV that Lombardi is a kind mentor/big brother figure for Basso. He's also there as CSC Road Captain, like Eki for USPS/Disco.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Ivan Basso, Carlos Sastre, Frank Schleck, Jens Voigt, Giovanni Lombardi, Stuart O’Grady, Bobby Julich, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde.

It looks like a team designed to do a lot of high-tempo riding and take control of the race. Sounds familiar.

·
Registered
839 Posts
So who are all of the American riders?

Landis
Leipheimer
Julich
Hincapie
Zabriskie
Vande Velde
Horner
Rodriguez
...?

·
limit screwed
807 Posts
Horner, Rodriguez.

I suppose Guido Trenti of Quickstep also has American citizenship as well.

Edit: I thought Trenti as part of Boonen's lead out would be racing, but according to VN he isn't on the Tour roster.

G

·
fornaca68 said:
Ivan Basso, Carlos Sastre, Frank Schleck, Jens Voigt, Giovanni Lombardi, Stuart O’Grady, Bobby Julich, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde.

It looks like a team designed to do a lot of high-tempo riding and take control of the race. Sounds familiar.
Yes and I agree. This worked real well in the Giro where Basso's rivals where mainly climbers. I don't think it will work as well in the TdF. The sprint teams will be pushing tempo on the (many) flatter stages. And TMob could take advantage of this on mountain stages by letting CSC lead until the selection is made (with the possibility that Disco's protected riders will all be doing a their 'Vino' impersonations this year).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.