Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wife has a beetchin road bike. wife wants to start commuting 8 miles to work, gym along our safe American River Bike path. Wife doesn't want to spend a ton of money, wants to carry a computer, gym clothes, work clothes, be comfy, but most importantly have a bike she can lock to the post and not stress about.

So after a couple hours at Performance, another 45 minutes at REI for new shoes and pedals........

here it is. Schwinn something-or-other....

Probably makes more sense than the road/touring frames I'm riding to work. soooooo jealous.....

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Practical bike, practical wife

They both look good, too ;-)

Well done; smart choices all around.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Perfect choice. I wish I had the American River MUT around here. That's a great early morning, fun ride. I grew up about a mile from it in Fair Oaks. Used to ride up to the dam all the time. We sometimes come down in the winter to ride from Old Sac up to the Dam and back. Easy metric century.

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave Hickey said:
I have a new appreciation for these types of bikes…

totally. she has a sweet Felt road bike. She just told me straight up, "I'm NOT using this for weekend training rides, touring, racing, etc. I'm using it to ride to work and lock it to a post."

Now that I've been riding it around the block, makes perfect sense. As soon as she goes away on biz I'll take it for a 60 mile ride to the Davis Farmer's Mkt. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Another thumbs up...

The practical commuter is such a wonderful thing to have... though you're likely to get laughed at by the "serious," crowd... but screw em.

I see a lot of really cool commuters around Boston/Cambridge... stripped of paint, or with a brush paint job. Bolt on skewers, so the wheels don't necessarily need locking, flat bars so the brakes are always *right there*... but well tuned, and with fresh brake pads. They're ugly, simple, practical... and have more character than any new shiny thief bait would ever have.

What's really the cooler bike? A bike that's clearly built for riding, with no pretense, or some ultra-shiny, CF/ano-, latest-greatest, wonder widget style bling bling thing that gets ridden by a pretentious poser who brought it to the MUT on top of his SUV... ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.