Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I've been on a Little Richard kick lately. I'd go as far to say that his first three studio albums rival anything ANYONE did in the fifties.

Raw, dirty rock.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
this thread needs some old school lovin.

kids these days... they don't even know or care that the hooks they are ripping off are older than their grandma.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,268 Posts
Some of the best rock and roll ever made.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
He does a great interview on the Chuck Berry's 60th Bday concert film, where he talks about how pissed off he was at having his songs made famous by other (white) people when he couldn't get airtime...

(If you're a Chuck Berry fan, I'd *highly* recommend checking that out)

·
Registered
11,066 Posts
some of the earliest music I can recall listening to as a child were 45s of Harry Belafonte (Shrimps Boats are a Comin') and Little Richard (Good Golly Miss Molly).

I still remember thinking then that LR was a bad mofo and HB was kinda wuss.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'd have to say that the architect of Rock and Roll was Earl Palmer, his drummer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Palmer

"His playing on "The Fat Man" featured the backbeat that has come to be the most important element in rock and roll. Palmer said, "That song required a strong afterbeat throughout the whole piece. With Dixieland you had a strong afterbeat only after you got to the shout last chorus. . . . It was sort of a new approach to rhythm music." Reportedly, he was the first to use the word "funky", to explain to other musicians that their music should be made more syncopated and danceable.[3]"

·
I luv riding in WA
1,148 Posts
Creakyknees said:
this thread needs some old school lovin.

kids these days... they don't even know or care that the hooks they are ripping off are older than their grandma.
Did someone say old school lovin? Risque lyrics for the day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts