Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being in Europe I suspect that not all of the interviews that have taken place have been published or aired here.

If anyone has actual direct reports or video links could you post them here please?

If you have an opinion either way please refrain from posting in this thread as it is intended just to elicit information. So just first hand stuff please.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
ultimobici said:
Being in Europe I suspect that not all of the interviews that have taken place have been published or aired here.

If anyone has actual direct reports or video links could you post them here please?

If you have an opinion either way please refrain from posting in this thread as it is intended just to elicit information. So just first hand stuff please.
You can educate yourself on Lemond-Armstrong feud by listening to public opinion:

On the Continuing Feud between Lemond and Armstrong

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
ultimobici said:

the govt in investigating landis's claims.

that's all there is. the govt hasn't made their case. there is no more information to be found.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bas said:
the govt in investigating landis's claims.

that's all there is. the govt hasn't made their case. there is no more information to be found.
No what I'm after is a timeline of what has happened between Lemond & Armstrong, without opinion or slant. Just what actually was reported or TV & radio interviews with Lemond or Armstrong in the 99-2005 period

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
News always involved slant and opinion. Just the act of selecting what, out of millions of things, to report involves an opinion about what's important.

From what Lemond has said recently more has been reported in the Euro zone than in the US over the years. I think the biggest incident was screwing over Lemond's bike biz dealings with Trek after he started speaking out about LA's supernatural abilities.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
terzo rene said:
News always involved slant and opinion. Just the act of selecting what, out of millions of things, to report involves an opinion about what's important.

From what Lemond has said recently more has been reported in the Euro zone than in the US over the years. I think the biggest incident was screwing over Lemond's bike biz dealings with Trek after he started speaking out about LA's supernatural abilities.
So from the 99-2006 period we got the same info that was in the US?
I have see reference to various TV interviews & programmes that haven't been screened here, mainly due to the total apathy of the UK sports media. That's probably what I am missing.
Reported speech is so easy to slant, whereas actually seeing the person answer questions allows the viewer to have a better chance of getting the correct inferences.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Wouldn't be at all surprised if the UK coverage was similar to the US. Even reading several cycling news sites every day for most of the LA years it was like Lemond had vanished for the bulk of that time. He really only started to show up on the radar again when the Trek lawsuit got going and especially after the Landis testimony and associated circus.

Besides don't you know all the US and UK news has to be approved by the same powers that be before anything can be put on air?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
terzo rene said:
Wouldn't be at all surprised if the UK coverage was similar to the US. Even reading several cycling news sites every day for most of the LA years it was like Lemond had vanished for the bulk of that time. He really only started to show up on the radar again when the Trek lawsuit got going and especially after the Landis testimony and associated circus.

Besides don't you know all the US and UK news has to be approved by the same powers that be before anything can be put on air?
"News" may be similar especially as Cyclingnews has become more US orientated.
But we don't get GL on mainstream TV or in the papers unless it's BIG BIG LA news time. So stuff all since he retired. The most cycling documentary or interviews we can hope for is Olympic or Tour stuff. It's centred on our track squad or Sky or Wiggins or LA, but not necessarily in that order.

ITV4's coverage has Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen fawning over LA, while thinking up ways to use the words pain, suffer & pain over and over and over.

·
always right sometimes
1,832 Posts
ultimobici said:

I would like to know more too. What I want details on is HOW EXACTLY did Lance Armstrong RUIN LeMonds' bicycle biz?? What did Lance do exactly or say??

I understand the Trek Lemond bicycle connection, but did Lance threaten to walk away from Trek if they continued to push the Lemond brand bicycles in their stores nationwide??

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rydbyk said:
I would like to know more too. What I want details on is HOW EXACTLY did Lance Armstrong RUIN LeMonds' bicycle biz?? What did Lance do exactly or say??

I understand the Trek Lemond bicycle connection, but did Lance threaten to walk away from Trek if they continued to push the Lemond brand bicycles in their stores nationwide??
I was working in a Trek & Lemond dealer from 1998 to 2004. There was a total lack of promotion from around 2002 for Lemond bikes compared to almost saturation level for Trek with Lance.

I can understand that Trek would want to capitalise on USPS & Armstrong's success, but it was unusual that at the same time the Lemond brand appeared to be deliberately allowed to wither and die. Don't know what it was like in the US though.

·
always right sometimes
1,832 Posts
ultimobici said:
I was working in a Trek & Lemond dealer from 1998 to 2004. There was a total lack of promotion from around 2002 for Lemond bikes compared to almost saturation level for Trek with Lance.

I can understand that Trek would want to capitalise on USPS & Armstrong's success, but it was unusual that at the same time the Lemond brand appeared to be deliberately allowed to wither and die. Don't know what it was like in the US though.
Clearly "something" odd happened. Here in S. California, LeMond bikes were selling really well....at least I saw them everywhere on the road.....still do in fact (just old ones).

Then...bam...seems like the brand just vanished. Posssibly Trek just got tired of doing biz with LeMond?? Again, I want details on this whole ordeal. So many members have said something to the effect of "Lance ruined LeMond's bike biz....". Well...how?

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
rydbyk said:
Clearly "something" odd happened. Here in S. California, LeMond bikes were selling really well....at least I saw them everywhere on the road.....still do in fact (just old ones).

Then...bam...seems like the brand just vanished. Posssibly Trek just got tired of doing biz with LeMond?? Again, I want details on this whole ordeal. So many members have said something to the effect of "Lance ruined LeMond's bike biz....". Well...how?
You could always google it:

http://www.startribune.com/business/17390774.html

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/02/news/treklemond-lawsuit-settled_103631

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rydbyk said:

This is my take on the "ordeal".
The Lemond-Trek licensing arrangement dated back to 1995, after GL had retired. Trek were effectively trading on past glory to sell the brand, but it didn't matter because Lemond was the only Tour winner from the US and he was theirs.
Barely four years later, with Armstrong's glorious return from almost certain death to win the Tour, Trek had a bona fide poster boy with which to plug their main brand Trek. It was only natural that they would pay more attention to a current rider promoting their house brand, rather than Lemond who hadn't raced since 94 and hadn't won since 90.
Lemond, as far as I can tell, didn't raise any complaint publicly at the time. But upon the link to Ferrari being revealed he voiced his concerns about the relationship. His words seem more like those of an older brother worried about the ramifications at this stage to me, not ones accusing LA of anything.
I can imagine that by 2001/2 with 3 Tour wins to his name and fast becoming a global brand, LA had considerable clout with the USPS team. Trek needed LA more than LA needed them. He could have walked into any bike company in the world and named his price for the chance to supply USPS. Can you imagine Mike Sinyard turning the chance down?

·
always right sometimes
1,832 Posts
ultimobici said:
This is my take on the "ordeal".
The Lemond-Trek licensing arrangement dated back to 1995, after GL had retired. Trek were effectively trading on past glory to sell the brand, but it didn't matter because Lemond was the only Tour winner from the US and he was theirs.
Barely four years later, with Armstrong's glorious return from almost certain death to win the Tour, Trek had a bona fide poster boy with which to plug their main brand Trek. It was only natural that they would pay more attention to a current rider promoting their house brand, rather than Lemond who hadn't raced since 94 and hadn't won since 90.
Lemond, as far as I can tell, didn't raise any complaint publicly at the time. But upon the link to Ferrari being revealed he voiced his concerns about the relationship. His words seem more like those of an older brother worried about the ramifications at this stage to me, not ones accusing LA of anything.
I can imagine that by 2001/2 with 3 Tour wins to his name and fast becoming a global brand, LA had considerable clout with the USPS team. Trek needed LA more than LA needed them. He could have walked into any bike company in the world and named his price for the chance to supply USPS. Can you imagine Mike Sinyard turning the chance down?
You are probably fairly accurate in your interpretation of what occured. Based on the assumption that LeMond bikes had a fairly good reputation, I am surprised that the brand did not continue elsewhere...possibly under the umbrella of another big bike co., or possibly Greg and friends...

I am guessing that Trek had the rights to the LeMond brand and Greg did not even have an option of taking his bike name elsewhere...??

If so, it seems like it could have been beneficial for Greg to purchase the name back from Trek (who felt it was a "dead" label anyways) and go on with the biz...afterall, the brand WAS selling really well for awhile here it seems..

If what you are saying is accurate, I can't see why Greg would be upset with Lance for "ruining his business"....seems like he should be more upset with Trek...not Lance. I understand why Greg does not like LA for other reasons...but not this...

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
rydbyk said:
I am guessing that Trek had the rights to the LeMond brand and Greg did not even have an option of taking his bike name elsewhere...??
Trek entered into a sub-licensing agreement with Greg Lemond, allowing Trek to use the Lemond name on bikes manufactured / assembled by Trek. As far as I know, the trade name "Lemond" was never and is not now "owned" by Trek. Lemond's company called "Lemond Cycling" is still viable.

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
rydbyk said:
Based on the assumption that LeMond bikes had a fairly good reputation, I am surprised that the brand did not continue elsewhere...possibly under the umbrella of another big bike co., or possibly Greg and friends...
This page on LeMond's personal web site suggests that they're at least thinking about it.

I own a LeMond -- a 2005 Buenos Aires, one of the steel/carbon "spine" bikes -- and other than being a little too big for me, it's a great bike. I'd love to have the opportunity to buy a new, all-steel LeMond.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts