Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a week in which Astana wins 3 stages but gifts away 2 stage races (P-N and T-A), Lance flaps his gums before his favorite periodical, L'Equipe -- WTF??? -- taking a jab at one of his teammates AND now effectively saying the Giro is training and he wants to be in peak condition for the TdF. Seems to me he previewed the 60-km ITT stage near the Cinque Terre and thinks he can't do it???

From cn.com ...

Lance Armstrong took aim at the performance of his teammate Alberto Contador in an interview with French newspaper L'Equipe. "Contador has a lot to learn," Armstrong said. "He is the best in the world. The only negative thing, and I say this with great respect, is that he is too nervous. He is too strong to be so nervous. He has a good team manager and a strong team. Why get nervous?"

Armstrong added that he wants to peak for the first day of the Tour de France. This year's race starts with a 15-kilometre time trial in Monaco, which Armstrong previewed last week.

"I want to be strong in the Giro but not at my peak. I want to be at 90%. The goal is to do a good Giro, finishing in the top 10 or top 5 or top 3, if everything goes well."

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Mmm hmmm.... Mmmhmmm...

He's raced the Giro, oh wait, no, that was George Hincapie.

Interesting indeed. I knew he was gonna target the Tour for sure, but I did think the Giro was also his goal.

Then again, the Giro mountains tend to be crazy so maybe he can't do it. Of course, I actually hope he can still tear it up on the climbs and leave others in the dust, save for Contador, Basso and a few other great climbers in the GC perhaps. (Not talking about pure climbers who only go for the KoM)

If this is the case, the Tour would indeed be interesting - co leadership with Alberto is a given. Who becomes rider primero, well, the first tough stage would determine that. IMO, it's gonna be great. Why? This way, Alberto and Lance (or whomever else for that matter, i.e. Levi) would really go for it on the mountains and there would be racing against each other, despite also working for one another.

It'll be a race to prove who's the best in their team and once that's set, the rest will then work for that guy. Really cool indeed because I really wanted to see Levi, Lance and Alberto go all out for a day or 2 and determine who's the strongest at that time.

It's a given the 3 of them, and possibly Kloden and Zubeldia as well, would be all in the main threatening group on the big/last climb so this would be really fun to watch who would reign supreme.

3 leaders, 2 super domestiques, 3 if you add Popo. I can't wait indeed.

Looks like I may well get cycling.tv this year!

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
come on, uzzie. you cant have three leaders. it flies in the face of teh definition of leader. and i think we all know who the leader will be when it comes time for le tour. i just hope conti is prepared, mentally and physically, for the giro. he is the reigning champ, so that should help. but he was promised, before and after LA came back into the fold, that le tour would be his. now all that is changing? based on what? i hope not losing PN, becasue we all know how i feel about that...

how is this for a one-word analogy:
backslider

·
Registered
336 Posts
Most of the "Drama" is created by he media that is reporting it. But hey, jump on in!

Should be a fun year.

Brian

·
Albert Owen
1,041 Posts
Astana: All Chiefs and no Indians. There is no way Armstrong and Leipheimer will work for Contador and no way Contador will work for them. The contest will be Astana USA v Astana Europe. I suspect that the team isn't nearly strong enough to work two leaders effectively. When the chips are down there will be several stronger and more unified outfits working for a single leader.
This is going to be a great year!!!!

·
Still waiting......
1,321 Posts
It will all be okay and Astana will be one big happy family for all the GT's. Remember, the important thing is the cancer message, not the actual races.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
fornaca68 said:
So after a week in which Astana wins 3 stages but gifts away 2 stage races (P-N and T-A)
A quibble perhaps, but I would not say Astana gifted T-A to Scarponi. Kloeden simply couldn't hold the pace of Scarponi and company. His team was weak, and maybe that's what you mean, but Lovkvist's team was pretty strong and that didn't keep him on the podium. As his pre-stage remarks indicated, Kloeden had correctly identified Scarponi as the man to mark, but he simply couldn't mark him. Getting beaten by a stronger rider is not giving the race away. I agree Contador gave P-N away. As I say, merely a quibble.

Certainly the shortcomings of the Astana helpers has to be cause for concern for the team.

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
fornaca68 said:
So after a week in which Astana wins 3 stages but gifts away 2 stage races (P-N and T-A), Lance flaps his gums before his favorite periodical, L'Equipe -- WTF??? -- taking a jab at one of his teammates AND now effectively saying the Giro is training and he wants to be in peak condition for the TdF. Seems to me he previewed the 60-km ITT stage near the Cinque Terre and thinks he can't do it???

From cn.com ...

Lance Armstrong took aim at the performance of his teammate Alberto Contador in an interview with French newspaper L'Equipe. "Contador has a lot to learn," Armstrong said. "He is the best in the world. The only negative thing, and I say this with great respect, is that he is too nervous. He is too strong to be so nervous. He has a good team manager and a strong team. Why get nervous?"

Armstrong added that he wants to peak for the first day of the Tour de France. This year's race starts with a 15-kilometre time trial in Monaco, which Armstrong previewed last week.

"I want to be strong in the Giro but not at my peak. I want to be at 90%. The goal is to do a good Giro, finishing in the top 10 or top 5 or top 3, if everything goes well."
It really amazes me that when a newspaper prints stuff like that, the words "sensationalist" or "tabloid" never enter these discussions. However if they dare question the "cleanliness" of our heroes those same two words are thrown out every second sentence.

I guess all that's missing to complete this sideshow are the names Rasmussen, Landis and Ullrich. Maybe we the fans should petition the ASO to let them ride and provide us with some much needed spectacle.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
weltyed said:
come on, uzzie. you cant have three leaders. it flies in the face of teh definition of leader. and i think we all know who the leader will be when it comes time for le tour. i just hope conti is prepared, mentally and physically, for the giro. he is the reigning champ, so that should help. but he was promised, before and after LA came back into the fold, that le tour would be his. now all that is changing? based on what? i hope not losing PN, becasue we all know how i feel about that...

how is this for a one-word analogy:
backslider
Well, ok 3 is a stretch I have to admit.

But, let me clarify - Lance and Alberto. Stronger man becomes the overall guy. Fair? Seems to be.

Levi as chief lieutenant. He'll shelter either Lance or Alberto most of the time, take limited pulls (none on the flats) and be a semi-protected rider.

Wait, Contador is racing in the Giro?? :idea:

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
albert owen said:
Astana: All Chiefs and no Indians. There is no way Armstrong and Leipheimer will work for Contador and no way Contador will work for them. The contest will be Astana USA v Astana Europe. I suspect that the team isn't nearly strong enough to work two leaders effectively. When the chips are down there will be several stronger and more unified outfits working for a single leader.
This is going to be a great year!!!!
Yes they have a lot of Chiefs. But Kloden is basically their Chief Indian now if you don't realize.

Leipheimer has worked for Contador on 2 occasions last year. He'll do the same. Why? A consummate professional who keeps quiet and works for the team. He'll want to lead and he'll make his case by riding well in any race he's the leader in the lead up to the tour.

At the Tour, he'll try to be as close as possible to the main group, take lesser pulls maybe etc. If he can go from there, then he'll get his chance.

As for Armstrong working for Contador, he could, but not before the stage where he loses (if he does that is) time to Contador and is out of the equation for the top step perhaps. Even then, he'd still be the protected rider up till the latter stages.

It's kinda similar to Levi at the Vuelta last year. He was the protected rider, but he worked for Contador. This time, well, Lance would probably work less than Levi did at the Vuelta last year.

Once again, I'll highlight last year's Vuelta to say that the team is stronger now and they could well work for 2 leaders. They practically did anyway last year. This time, with the addition of Zubeldia, they have one heck of a mountain goat in their arsenal too. Oh and, Popo can work on the flats or hills for that matter.

2 leaders, up till one blows up maybe. If not, then well, 2 leaders. 1 chief lieutenant in Levi. One second lieutenant in Kloden. 2 super domestiques in Zubeldia and Popo. Noval, Chechu and Vaitkus perhaps to round it up.

·
Burning Fists of Love
6,899 Posts
oh man, that could be good

uzziefly said:
Mmm hmmm.... Mmmhmmm...

He's raced the Giro, oh wait, no, that was George Hincapie.

Interesting indeed. I knew he was gonna target the Tour for sure, but I did think the Giro was also his goal.

Then again, the Giro mountains tend to be crazy so maybe he can't do it. Of course, I actually hope he can still tear it up on the climbs and leave others in the dust, save for Contador, Basso and a few other great climbers in the GC perhaps. (Not talking about pure climbers who only go for the KoM)

If this is the case, the Tour would indeed be interesting - co leadership with Alberto is a given. Who becomes rider primero, well, the first tough stage would determine that. IMO, it's gonna be great. Why? This way, Alberto and Lance (or whomever else for that matter, i.e. Levi) would really go for it on the mountains and there would be racing against each other, despite also working for one another.

It'll be a race to prove who's the best in their team and once that's set, the rest will then work for that guy. Really cool indeed because I really wanted to see Levi, Lance and Alberto go all out for a day or 2 and determine who's the strongest at that time.

It's a given the 3 of them, and possibly Kloden and Zubeldia as well, would be all in the main threatening group on the big/last climb so this would be really fun to watch who would reign supreme.

3 leaders, 2 super domestiques, 3 if you add Popo. I can't wait indeed.

Looks like I may well get cycling.tv this year!
OMFG, can you imagine what the climbing stages could be like?

Well at least the peleton can rest easy while they try to kill each other.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
ummmm, lemond vs hinault?

uzziefly said:
But, let me clarify - Lance and Alberto. Stronger man becomes the overall guy. Fair?

Levi as chief lieutenant. He'll shelter either Lance or Alberto most of the time, take limited pulls (none on the flats) and be a semi-protected rider.

·
Registered
523 Posts
All this speculation and not one mention in the selected quote from L'Equipe did Armstrong say Contador wasn't the team leader. In fact, he said Contador is the strongest in the world. Armstrong said he wants to be at his peak. So be it. I would think any participant in the Tour would want to be at his peak at some point during the race.

·
Bike Rider
238 Posts
All the makings of a great Tour.

I don't suppose all the other riders and teams are going to mail it in, regardless of how many chiefs Astana has...................

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah multiple team leaders, you figure out whoever is the strongest gets the team support.. That worked SO GREAT for T-mobile/Telecom, yeahh!! Oh wait.....

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Wildstar87 said:
Yeah multiple team leaders, you figure out whoever is the strongest gets the team support.. That worked SO GREAT for T-mobile/Telecom, yeahh!! Oh wait.....
Worked OK for them in 1997.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts