Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three things on my ride yesterday:

1) A car wanting to get around a car making a left turn into a parking lot got a little too close to me for my comfort. I hollered and waved and the car went on its merry way. Probably wasn't critically close but uncomfortable never the less.

2) Short distance later a black Humvee passed me with its right turn signal on. Instead of turning in front of me (which there was plenty of time to do so) it waited until I passed. I saw the driver wave and I waved back. His courtesy was much appreciated.

3) Toward the end of the ride I was on a residential street and I heard a car coming up behind me. I was hugging the right side but passing a parked car. The passing car did not move to the left even the slightest amount and was way too close to me. I could have reached out and touched the door handle. I don't think he was singling me out because he did the the same thing to a person getting out of a car just up a ways from where I was passed. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say it was a little inattention on the driver's part.

All this to say: Be careful out there and show appreciation to those who are thoughtful and courteous.

That's all.

John

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I would interpret these happenings somewhat differently:

1) HTFU

2) Driver with annoyingly poor judgement (if there was, as you say, plenty of time to make the turn in front of you.) I hate when drivers yield to me when they shouldn't, often causing hazardous or ambiguous situations.

3) Driver with good judgement knowing where the the right side of his/her vehicle was. (also HTFU)

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I would interpret these happenings somewhat differently
Me too. But only as they relate from my own perspective.

I think my feelings of risk are more dependent of my own emotional state than actual events.... in many cases. If I feel strong or rested and not pressured for time I have less of an aversion to risky situations than when I am tired or feeling hurried. Although on occasion I have taken risks based on the pressure of a schedule.

When I am trying to squeeze in that fast ride at the end of a long day, as the storm clouds roll in, and the setting red sun blinds my view of the road ahead, and I know I am already late for dinner. That is when other people seem to make the most aggravating and endangering mistakes.

·
Not a climber
1,312 Posts
The second has happened to me a few times. It can get a bit sketchy, but I chalk it up to someone that saw you, passed you thinking they had time to make the turn, and misjudged your speed or whatever and decided to let you pass before turning. Be happy there are people out there that think more around cyclists. As opposed to the others that have right-hooked me numerous times every single ride because they pass you and don't give a damn to look back and see that you are still beside them when they turn.

G

·
I would interpret these happenings somewhat differently:

:snip:

2) Driver with annoyingly poor judgement (if there was, as you say, plenty of time to make the turn in front of you.) I hate when drivers yield to me when they shouldn't, often causing hazardous or ambiguous situations.
My thoughts exactly. As a cyclist I must assume that someone who has passed me with apparent intent of turning right (whether they are signaling or not) has not seen me. I have no idea if they're yielding to me, or if they're even aware of my presence at all.

Most of the time in this situation If the car who just passed me is not being followed closely by another car I will move into the vehicle lane behind them and either wait for them to turn and/or pass them on their left depending on traffic.

If I don't have an opening to do this I stop, often very abruptly. 95%+ of the time the driver was "yielding" to me and this pisses them off (and elicts honks from the guys queuing up behind them) but my cautiousness in these scenarious has saved my @ss from a nastcrash more than once.

I always do wave thanks to drivers who see me and, knowing they will be turning into a driveway soon, don't pass me at all but wait and turn behind me. If they were planning on yielding to me anyway then waiting behind me instead of passing and stopping doesn't cost them any additional time, and doesn't put me in a stressful /potentially dangerous situation.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say it was a little inattention on the driver's part.
Why give him any benefit at all? He was not paying attention while operating a 3 thousand pound machine. Regardless of whether or not he had intention to harm, he was neglecting his duties as a driver, and was in the wrong. I don't care if his kid just threw a bowl of Cheerios at his head: when driving a vehicle you have a responsibility to other road users.

·
have droids, will party
582 Posts
It's a picture of Chewbacca mounted on a giant squirrel killing Nazis with a crossbow. I thought it fit quite nicely in this thread.
Wow... The most obvious oversight in this whole thread lies within that picture...

Chewbacca is not killing nazis with a crossbow, he's killing nazis with a bowcaster!

I hope this never happens again. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.