Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie who has been bit hard by the road bike bug. I test rode a 2009 Fierte and preferred it over a Trek Medone 5.2. The 5.2 was sweet on the eyes vs. the black or white Fierte. The LBS had a CDA in Red/White/Blue -- team color of ? (as I mentioned I am new to the game, so give me a break). The CDA was orig. a different color and the LBS had it repainted by Serotta. The CDA is $500 more than the Fierte? Is it worth it? What is a good base price for the 2009 Fierte? Thanks for your insight!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
bondbike said:
I am a newbie who has been bit hard by the road bike bug. I test rode a 2009 Fierte and preferred it over a Trek Medone 5.2. The 5.2 was sweet on the eyes vs. the black or white Fierte. The LBS had a CDA in Red/White/Blue -- team color of ? (as I mentioned I am new to the game, so give me a break). The CDA was orig. a different color and the LBS had it repainted by Serotta. The CDA is $500 more than the Fierte? Is it worth it? What is a good base price for the 2009 Fierte? Thanks for your insight!
Is it a GS or SE model?

The CDA is custom so it totally depends upon what weight rider and riding style the frame was designed for. Also, if is an SE model it comes with an F3 fork which is better than the standard S fork. An e-mail to Serotta with the serial number will get you the dimensions and the weight and style information. Then compare the geometry of the two bikes and decide. If you give Serotta your weight, riding style, etc they will be honest and tell you which is the better buy. Also try the Serotta forum for a second opinion. PM me(dekindy) over there if you do and I will make sure you get help. This is probably not necessary but sometimes threads fall through the cracks.

The CDA is triple butted so if it was built to the size and specs of your liking then the $500 difference would be more than worth it. If the design is way off then the Fierte is a great all-arounder and if budget is limited you might be better served by spending the $500 on better wheels. The CDA may be built using standard geometry and for an average rider in which case the Fierte may be a better buy.

Can you ride both? Ride the exact same wheels if you do for comparision. My Fierte came spec'd with Shimano 550's which is a base model and rides hard. The steel ride was not apparent until I got better wheels. The difference was night and day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts