Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets have a contest - no prizes, just for fun. Tell your best commuting story from today or the last few days. I usually see at least 1-2 funny/ridiculous things each week commmuting.

Today!

It has been relatively nippy here in San Diego this week. Starting off at 6am in the dark the temps have been (insert groan here) a nippy 38 degrees. I know, I know. Anyway, one problem I have when it is chilly and really dry out is that for some reason it makes me have to pee pretty quickly on my commute. About 40 minutes into my commute I pass my first convenient bathroom. There is a port-a-potty setup in a park in Carlsbad along the coast route.

As I pull up to the port-a-potty, I see that someone has stuffed some clothes/rags at the gap between the bottom of the door and the ground. I'm thinking NO WAY. Impossible that someone is sleeping in this thing! Ya, its chilly out, but this would be me absolute last resort.

But yes, I open the door and there is some dude totally wrapped up in rags.

Totally made my morning and luckily it was not a potty emergency. I was able to make it to another restroom about 2 miles further up the coast.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
I rode to work and it was damp and cold and overcast but because I was on my bike it was still pretty enjoyable.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
Some guy on a full squishy Gary Fisher 29" MTB tried to keep up with me when I passed him this morning. He passed me back, which lasted all of about 10 seconds before he was cooked. Those knobbies didn't help his cause.

The best story I had was last summer, when some dude was laying across the MUT, with his feet off the side, and his head in the center of the travel lane, doing sit-ups. I thought of bunny hopping his neck, but decided against it.

Even though it's still chilly here in the mid atlantic, (30 this morning, 22 yesterday), the MUT is getting more crowded.

·
Mess O'Potamist
2,224 Posts
It was a crisp 50 when I left my house this morning and the sun was just starting to come up. Another blue bird day with nary a cloud in the sky. My office is moving across the valley so I've made a pact to ride to the current office as much as possible in the next two weeks.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Some mild Santa Ana crosswinds made me feel like I had a flat tire about every fifty feet. Ah, but then it gave me a nice tailwind for the final few miles. 30 mph over a couple of those miles. That was fun.

Then there's the usual almost-get-runovereth moment somewhere along the way. So special.

·
Mess O'Potamist
2,224 Posts
Last week I was riding home and caught a bus leaving a stop just perfectly and caught 35mph draft past a golf course where some guys were just getting ready to tee off. They stopped to cheer me on.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Yesterday, some newbs coming the opposite direction on the MUT jumped into my lane to do a double pass of a stroller and a jogger. It was a bonehead move, because I was pretty close, quickly bearing down on them. There was no way they could have pulled off that move at their current speed of 6 mph. I have no problem pulling as far to the right as possible to give other riders some room in a situation like that, but they had these cruiser type bikes with really wide handlebars and the bikes swayed on every pedal stroke. They wanted my whole lane, and they intended to take it. I guess they figured I would brake or pull over or turn around or fly above them, but no such luck. I didn't slow. I didn't even flinch. The first guy realized his error, desperately stood up to crank the pedals, and barely made it. The second was a lot smarter and dived back into the gap between the jogger and stroller. I cracked a smile.

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,068 Posts
This morning was pretty cold for late March at 32 degrees, but the winds, after a couple of gale force days, were calm. Riding along the Potomac River, the pre-dawn light showed up the perfectly calm surface of the river as a sheet of glass. Beautiful.

And then I saw her: In front of me looking out over the water. She slowly turned to face me as I approched, waving me to stop. Walking up to me slowly, she stopped, placed her left hand on my bar tops, her right hand on my shoulder as she leaned close to whisper in my ear----"Meet me in Montauk".

And then she was gone.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Had to touch a foot to the ground. A driver blew his horn at my failure to stay to the right of the right turn lane when was going straight. Survived another cummute. Yesterday's big north wind was gone. Hope it comes back for the ride home.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Best thing about my commute this morning was that I took my lights off for the year. We're already up around 13 hours of daylight, one of the nice things about living at high latitudes, and it only gets better.

Of course, another week or two, and the snow and ice might retreat enough that I might even be able to get out the road bike. One of the downsides of high latitudes... :thumbsup:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
It was raining hard and I desperately needed clean clothes at work. I needed to bring the dirty clothes home. I took 4 pair of slacks, 6 shirts, socks, underwear, etc.to work. I drove the car. It kinda sucked.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts