Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using Bebop peddles. I like the design, but replacing cleats is super expensive and needs to be done too frequently. Also there is just too much motion between the peddle and the cleat.

Solution: I am looking into getting a new set of peddles. I have my eyes on a couple sets of Look peddles, but honestly I don't know much about them.

So I am looking for suggestions for peddles with respect to price and performance (i am alloting about 80-90 dollars for this). What do people think?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Look is good

First, it is "pedal", not "peddle". Look makes good pedals. They have consistently good ratings. Their cleats can be expensive, too, but are less than some other manufacturers. I use Time pedals, which I love, but the cleats can be expensive as well.

Jimi_Lee said:
I am currently using Bebop peddles. I like the design, but replacing cleats is super expensive and needs to be done too frequently. Also there is just too much motion between the peddle and the cleat.

Solution: I am looking into getting a new set of peddles. I have my eyes on a couple sets of Look peddles, but honestly I don't know much about them.

So I am looking for suggestions for peddles with respect to price and performance (i am alloting about 80-90 dollars for this). What do people think?

·
Registered
35 Posts
To err is human, but...

Jimi_Lee said:
Sorry, my spelling is absolutely horrendous. I blame it on being an engineer
I work as a software engineer and have always prided myself in my writing. This of course includes spelling.

There are so many acronyms used in modern technical fields of science and engineering that not paying adequate attention to spelling is tantamount to not being able to communicate properly.

Sorry but I don't see the connection between bad spelling and engineering. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Sorry but I don't see the connection between bad spelling and engineering
More and more, eloquent and correct use of language is considered a fine art, completely divorced from technological pursuits like engineering. Trouble with that is that old people like me still read job application forms and pass judgement on the applicants. I would toss an application form containing "designed and tested break peddles for GM" onto the reject pile immediately - not so much for bad spelling at first writing, but for obvious lack of attention to detail.

·
Registered
813 Posts
i really like speedplays. I've had problems with look style pedals when i crashed and even set to the "loosest" setting, my knee got severely tweaked everytime.

With speedplays, theres more float and i feel that disengagement would be easier.

I havent crashed with the speedplays yet to actually test this theory (knock wood).

jeremy

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I meant that as a joke playing on the stereotype of engineers being socially inept and, as a whole, poor in the social skills. Normally I will carefully proof what I write before allowing others to read it so that I can eliminate silly misspellings such as "peddle" instead of "pedal." Maybe I erred when I failed to proof read a message that I posted on public forum that I took to be light hearted. I apologize for promoting this stereotype.

sheesh

·
Registered
11 Posts
kinda lame

Maybe just help the guy decide on some pedals and save the mentoring for another forum. I personally ride twin-ti eggbeaters, mostly because I divide my time between rode and mountain. I also commute on my bike so it's nice to keep everything the same. Oh, and thankyou for the valuable lesson on the importance of spelling.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Jimi
A lot hinges on what you get up to when riding.

If you get on a bike, ride long, hard hours and seldom get off to walk anywhere, you're better off looking to what the professionals use - Look, Time, Shimano.

If you take life at a leisurely pace - for example, your favourite ride is a steady cruise to a coffee shop - the mountain bike type pedals and shoes that allow efficient riding plus easy walking may suit you more.

As I split my time between easy going riding with wifey and deluding myself that I can still ride far and hard, I've gone for Crank Brothers pedals - a mix of the their basic Eggbeaters and Candy platform pedals. With those, I can ride any of my bikes in either mountain or road shoes. My favourite Crank Bros combo is their "Candy" pedals, with either their 'road cleats' on my road shoes or regular MTB shoes and cleats.

Before settling on Crank Bros pedals, I used a mix of Shimano SPD and Performance house brand MTB pedals. Neither impressed me enough to 'stick around'. They worked fine in most respects, the little details got to me in the end. My brief shot at Look pedals - not enough riding improvement, plus I felt I was taking my life in my hands (or feet!) off the bike - just too slippery to walk in.

Pricing - Eggbeaters and Candy pedals are often on sale at many places - Performance, Nashbar, Excel & Colorado Cyclist. Well within your bracket.

At least the "IMspeak" crowd aren't around this week - they tend to make me fall over laughing at their version of 'English". Who would hire any of them is beyond me.

Regards

Dereck

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I ride Looks, but haven't tried the Keos

Some of the older pedal styles from Look are now being phased out, nothing wrong with them, just that Look is making the Keo style its main effort. You can find new A 5.1s, etc. for about the amount you want to spend, including the cleats. They have adjustable float of 0, 3, 6, and 9 degrees.
Also, there is a Keo version for less than $100 if you want to go with the latest designs, but float comes from using the different cleats.
If you do get Looks, you might also want to get a set of Kool Kovers to protect the cleats when you are off the bike. They also make walking in your shoes a lot safer on slick surfaces.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for your help. I have definitely been researching into the different flavors of Look pedals but still have no idea what the difference between the models really are. Do the different styles, ie PP models, Keo, A _.1s, all have different cleats to go with? I read all sorts of stuff about the "Look creaking." Also on the lower end models, I have read that people have been pulling out of the pedal. Are these really an issue? What experiences have people had with these pedals?

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
For many years, all Look pedals were of the exact same design. The differences were in quality and weight only. The cleats that came with the pedals you bought also worked with all other Look pedals. There were two types of cleats: black for no float, and red for float. The infamous Look-squeak was mostly caused by the red cleat as it moved around on the pedal. Late in the game, Look added Teflon to the cleat contact surface to silence the squeak. It worked, sort of.

Not too long ago, Look brought out the Keo pedal. While the Keo pedal and the Keo cleat look and work similar to the old Look pedal and cleat, they are not interchangeable. The old Look cleat does not work with Look Keo pedal, and the Look Keo cleat does not work with the old Look pedal.

I'm on old Look pedals and don't know the details of the Look Keo system. Someone else will have to chime in here.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My beef with the Look pedals is cleat wear.It seems the red cleats anyway, wear down and get loose quickly and when they do the poorly designed slotted screws get loose and begin to grind up the pedal surface.They are also prone to creaks and squeaks.I'm not sure the perfect pedal exists,but after trying most of them I still prefer the old discontinued Time pedals with brass and aluminum cleats.For casual use or MTB I like the Shimano SPDs as well as the Crank Brothers.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Kool Kovers and replacement Screws handle most of the problems

you mentioned. I ride the Non-Keo Looks on all my bikes. A 5.1 on 2, CX-6 on 2 and PP357s on the rain bike. My red cleats with teflon last a long time, mainly because I always put on the Kovers as soon as I step off the pedals after a ride. If you don't use covers when off the bike and do any amount of walking in them then, yes, you will wear them out quickly.
I'll agree that the screws that come with the cleats are pretty bad. For that reason, I replace them with stainless steel screws with a phillips head and also because I wear shims under one cleat to balance out my differing leg lengths so I need longer screws for one shoe. I put a little grease on the threads when I insert them and check them periodically for tightness. I've ridden Looks since they first came out..... still have a pair of the plain black ones in the parts bin, and don't recall problems with screws wearing out the pedal platforms.

·
Registered
237 Posts
cdhbrad said:
you mentioned. I ride the Non-Keo Looks on all my bikes. A 5.1 on 2, CX-6 on 2 and PP357s on the rain bike. My red cleats with teflon last a long time, mainly because I always put on the Kovers as soon as I step off the pedals after a ride. If you don't use covers when off the bike and do any amount of walking in them then, yes, you will wear them out quickly.
I'll agree that the screws that come with the cleats are pretty bad. For that reason, I replace them with stainless steel screws with a phillips head and also because I wear shims under one cleat to balance out my differing leg lengths so I need longer screws for one shoe. I put a little grease on the threads when I insert them and check them periodically for tightness. I've ridden Looks since they first came out..... still have a pair of the plain black ones in the parts bin, and don't recall problems with screws wearing out the pedal platforms.
I tried the Kool Kovers once and found they come off the cleat and get lost easily with ordinary walking on pavement and fall off very easily in grass/dirt.I don't remember the price of them but they were pricey.Very UN-KOOL.Where did you get the Phillips head screws that worked?I must admit the exposed loose screws caused little damage to the aluminum pedal surface.Do your Kool Kovers fall off or wear quickly themselves?Thanks-Jim

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From what I have seen on the web, the 'Kool Kovers' are between 10 and 14 dollars. Cleats can be had for about 15-20 when I look on performancebike.com and ebay. You can pick up the phillips screws, or any other type of screws for that matter, at a local hardware store. This was a really big tip when I was a consistent mountain biker and broke or lost a fair number of screws.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I don't have the same problem with the Kovers, I do try and be sure that they are securely around the front and rear lips of the cleats before I start walking and sometimes you have to be sure the edges of the Kovers are secure around the cleat. Kovers are only about $10 or so compared to $18 for cleats. I keep mine in a jersey pocket and haven't had any problem loosing them. I guess I have used them so long its just part of my ride routine.
I get the screws at a local hardware store that sells Metric stainless steel screws. I think they are a 6mm, but I can never remember, so I take a Look screw with me and check it in the gauge they have for sizing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.