Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read here that basically any bike for around 1k will be comparable regardless of manufacturer.

I've been MTBiking for a few years now and I'm ready for the road. I'm checking out Trek, Cannondale and Specialized all around the 1k range.

I guess my question is there has got to be SOME differences in what these 3 have to offer, no?

I'm pressed for cash, so I need to make the right decision.

What would you do in my shoes?

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Talk with LBS and see what they have to say. Read every review I could find on the bikes in question and then when all else fails, FIT. Fit on a road bike is much more important on a road bike than a mountain bike. I would have a tough time telling you if my saddle on my MTB was a 1 cm off but I can tell in the first few peddle strokes of my road bike. Fit is the key to comfort, comfort is the key to happy riding. If they can all be fitted, get the color you like the best. My .02 cents worth.

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
I hope the experience you've had as an MTBer has afforded you the knowlege of a good LBS in your area to give you the attention required for a good fit. I've seen my experience echoed on this forum quite a bit and I'm not sure you can trust the intentions of a lot of shops when you are looking at entry level road bikes or a little above. I'd broaden my horizon a bit. Throw Giant, Bianchi and Felt into the mix as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, the very good LBS is a personal friend of mine who only sells Cannondale, Trek, specialized, and Cervelo. This is why I haven't considered Giany, Bianchi, etc. the deal/service I get from him will cinch my decision.
please advise- I've wittled my choices down to a Cannondale Synapse or the specialized Roubaix.

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
In that case I say Roubaix because they have cooler paint jobs and the taller headtube suits me better :p. Have you given either a ride yet?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I'd definitely try to get a used bike at $1000... you should be able to get a nice frame w/10spd 105/Ultegra and decent wheels.

If you want to race, the Cannondale CAAD9 6 will have a MUCH nicer frame than any other new bike in that range (the 5 has much nicer parts--and maybe your friend can get you that for closer to $1000). If you prefer comfort, look at the Cannondale Synapse 6. Trek isn't competitive at that price range--the 1.5 is over $1000 and has Sora shifters(!?!). The Roubaix series starts at quite a bit more than $1000--but the Allez Elite isn't bad. I'd still lean towards a Cannondale for the price.

I wouldn't buy Sora, but Tiara wouldn't be terrible. 105/Ultegra/Rival would be better--but unlikely to get new from a shop, even if the owner is your friend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was ready to pull the trigger and I get a call from a friend of a friend wanting to sell a TREK 1000 in great shape (used as a #2 bike) for $300!
since I've never road ridden (MTB only), I'm thinking this may be OK to start?
Thoughts??

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I'd definitely rather start with a crappy $300 bike than a crappy $1000 bike. Unless your bike shop friend can get you something with 105/Ultegra/Rival... you might be best off with a $300 starter to get you into the sport. Make sure it fits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.