Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
14,487 Posts
Aeroryder said:
Hello, I am going to start road biking, and I was wondering the best way to start?(groups, races, and such.) Also, I am only 14. Thanks,

Ak.
Do you already have a bike?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just start out by yourself or someone you are comfortable with pick a route without much traffic. Lots of new things to get use to riding a new bike so it would be to much to jump into a group ride. Make sure you have the stuff for changing a flat and know how to use it. Cell phone is always handy if you get into trouble a ways from home.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I agree that getting into group riding is something you should hold off on until you've got some miles in and have built up some bike handing skills. Just start riding, enjoy the newness of the experience, build up to doing longer and longer rides and focus on having fun.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Lots of videos on YouTube for how to change a flat, and that's a really good skill to have when you hit the roads. The founder of Terry Bikes (for women) has some really good videos as well but not this specifically. Check out the ones on maintenance, and the one called What's In Your Saddlebag talks about changing flats a little bit.

·
Registered
513 Posts
At 14, you've still got growing to do, so don't buy any bike too expensive. I bought my Trek 6500 when I was 14 (17 now) and bought it fairly big to grow into it, but now it fits me a little small, but I like the feel much better a little small.
Road bikes aren't so lenient as far as sizing.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Ride the bike anywhere and have fun. See what happens. It's that easy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
mondayC has really good advice....you'll be growing a lot in the next couple years so you might even start with something used that fits or is a little big....save your pennies while you use it and when you're around 17/18, you'll have a good amount for a really good bike that will fit and you can use for a long time. Just remember to get a helmet now......

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just bought my Road Bike yesterday. 54cm.

Btw, I'm only 15. =) First of all, if you never ridden with clipless pedals, like me, you should take a LONG time to practice them. Incase you fall down and bruise your ego getting all embrassed, you might say to yourself, screw this from just one fall. Take baby steps.

1. Practice your Clipless Pedals. ALOT
2. Just ride around the neighborhood a bit to "break-in" your bike. Don't ride your bike hard when its new.
3. Be confident on hills! Keep a pace. Don't be too cocky, like hills are nothing.

Oh I forgot to say, since I bought my bike with my father, he requested to get a bit bigger bike than the exact size for me right now since I am still growing. My nuts are like around an inch from the top tube. (Maybe less) I see I will be riding this bike for many years to come, so when I do grow a bit more, I can just adjust the saddle, handlebars, etc.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Id say go get alot of time in. Get used to the pedals, when I first got mine I balanced myself against the kitchen counter and clipped in and out untill I was confident. Unfortunately most tip overs come from simply forgetting that youre clipped in. Other than that finding a nice residential area where you can ride laps without much bother from cars is a good thing. also, remember not to go out too far.... nothing is worse than making it 25 miles out and blowing up.... because youre still 25 miles from home. when I started I made a loop in my area that although it would take me 50 miles around I was never more than 10 miles from my house. If you have friends that ride Id say go out with them, they'll be able to teach you things and more importantly stop bad habbits from forming. the worst part about riding alone when you start is that you can form some bad habbits that'll be hard to break. So ride alone, and with friends. more importantly have fun.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Oh yeah, once your get your bike and pedals, try falling down.

It's a great experience to see your reflex's try to get your foot out of the pedals.

So keep on clipping out and in, and keep falling. Once your used to what to do when your tipping over, GO RIDE!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ugh I have no friends that ride road bikes, which means I will be going solo. Well I am so excited about riding a lot, and getting a new bike(and equipment), I just want to get it NOW, but my family is low on money, and I only have a few hundred bucks on my own. My dad is going to help out, but not until he gets another client to work with, which could be almost until spring. Do you know if there are any times in the year that bike equipment go on sale? And thanks for all the help.

AKK

·
Registered
70 Posts
Aeroryder said:
Ugh I have no friends that ride road bikes, which means I will be going solo. Well I am so excited about riding a lot, and getting a new bike(and equipment), I just want to get it NOW, but my family is low on money, and I only have a few hundred bucks on my own. My dad is going to help out, but not until he gets another client to work with, which could be almost until spring. Do you know if there are any times in the year that bike equipment go on sale? And thanks for all the help.

AKK
Mee too. I have a uncle who road bikes, and another uncle who bikes with their children. I am pretty much going to go solo myself, since they both do have a job and are pretty busy. Maybe once in a while I will ride with my uncle who road bikes. I don't think I would use my road bike against my other uncle and his children, yet I have no other bike. Just aint fun.

Solo ftw.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I Am Getting A Specialized Allez Double In The Morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.