Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
il miglior fabbro
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it's something I've just become aware of, but I'm heartened at the way cycling is helping worthy causes. Last weekend, 3,000 cyclists raised $14-million for cancer research hereabouts; there's an AIDS-related ride on the agenda; a cross-Canada fundraiser in the works and, it seems, countless other cycling events tied to fundraising.
If I won a lottery, I'd quit my job and become a full-time cycling fundraiser.
fwiw

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
One thing that you should always look at carefully is how much of the funds raised actually get to the chairty and how efficient the charity is in getting those funds to their end users.

There are exceptions of course but the bike world has a long history of promoters (who didn't win the lottery) making a nice living while actually giving very little if anything to their named cause.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
bigbri said:
Maybe it's something I've just become aware of, but I'm heartened at the way cycling is helping worthy causes. Last weekend, 3,000 cyclists raised $14-million for cancer research hereabouts; there's an AIDS-related ride on the agenda; a cross-Canada fundraiser in the works and, it seems, countless other cycling events tied to fundraising.
fwiw
Agreed! On all counts. Lost my little brother to Leukemia when he was 4, and I was 8 (back in the mid-60s). That I can ride my bike and raise thousands of dollars in donations to the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society via Team in Training is a glorious thing indeed.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
Jdrf

bigbri said:
fwiw
I agree completely, but I'm biased. I have been using my cycling as a fundraising forum for Juv. Diabetes for years (check at the link in my tag). Each and every year, I am amazed by how many people do the rides, how much people give and the enthusiastic volunteers (self serving comment since I'm one of them). I chair a local committee for JDRF and could easily spend much more time fundraising versus time that needs to be spent with the family and on the job.

For those who have never done a MS150, a JDRF ride (www.ride.jdrf.org), and ADA ride, and AIDS ride...you owe it to yourself and your community to give it a try. There is something special about the feeling you get crossing that finish line, being cheered by hundreds of volunteers and friends, knowing you just did a great thing for your community. OK....the commercial is over.

·
Unlabeled
3,729 Posts
bigbri said:
fwiw
I think that it's a bizarre and ineffective way to allocate resources to charitable causes. The disease with the best organized bike ride (or slickest telethon for that matter) gets the most money. That said, I have ridden in Tour de Cure for diabetes 3 times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.