Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Chief Road Officer
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go to a bootcamp every day and Thursday is run day. So I’m running my 5k this morning at 6:15 and it’s quite dark. There are a two of runners a couple hundred yards ahead of me and I’m watching their blinkies move along. Their blinkies stop moving at one point and I can see them kinda stooped over under a streetlight like they’re looking for something and then they start running again. A minute later I get to where they were stopped and just past the streetlight I feel this big whoosh and feel talons trying to grip the top of my bald head. I see my shadow from the streetlight behind and there’s this enormous bird flying off. I think I yelled wtf or something else profane and paused a few seconds to look around and started running again. Ten seconds later it hits me again and pulls my croakie and glasses over the top of my head. I was able to grab them before they came completely off. I yelled some more profanities and looked around in the dark some more and then started running again, thinking I gotta get the hell outa here. Fifteen seconds later it happens a third time with talons scraping the back of my neck. At this point I started walking backwards looking at the sky flailing my arms over my head. I got what I figured was a safe distance away and started running again without being strafed. I got back to our bootcamp center and found that the people who I’d seen running ahead of me had also been attacked. The women said maybe she should start wearing a hat and I said maybe I should start wearing my helmet when I run. Now I got a bunch of scratches and gouges on my head and neck and a story to tell. It was a large bird and I’m guessing it was an owl. I don’t know.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Wow. Glad you're okay, other than the scratches.

I get dive-bombed by red-winged blackbirds when I ride on the rural roads, but nothing like what you've described. I'm guessing your bird is protecting a nest nearby. You might try scouting out the area in the light of day. If you find it, you could maybe adjust your route for a while.

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
Maybe when you get liberty you go feed the birds. A mix of bread, lead shot, and Alla-Seltzer. Won't be nice but it would solve the problem.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
I go to a bootcamp every day and Thursday is run day. So I’m running my 5k this morning at 6:15 and it’s quite dark. There are a two of runners a couple hundred yards ahead of me and I’m watching their blinkies move along. Their blinkies stop moving at one point and I can see them kinda stooped over under a streetlight like they’re looking for something and then they start running again. A minute later I get to where they were stopped and just past the streetlight I feel this big whoosh and feel talons trying to grip the top of my bald head. I see my shadow from the streetlight behind and there’s this enormous bird flying off. I think I yelled wtf or something else profane and paused a few seconds to look around and started running again. Ten seconds later it hits me again and pulls my croakie and glasses over the top of my head. I was able to grab them before they came completely off. I yelled some more profanities and looked around in the dark some more and then started running again, thinking I gotta get the hell outa here. Fifteen seconds later it happens a third time with talons scraping the back of my neck. At this point I started walking backwards looking at the sky flailing my arms over my head. I got what I figured was a safe distance away and started running again without being strafed. I got back to our bootcamp center and found that the people who I’d seen running ahead of me had also been attacked. The women said maybe she should start wearing a hat and I said maybe I should start wearing my helmet when I run. Now I got a bunch of scratches and gouges on my head and neck and a story to tell. It was a large bird and I’m guessing it was an owl. I don’t know.
This is the kind of thing that happens right before a zombie apocalypse.

I am surprised the bird came back after you had your defenses up. I'd have been scared

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Nesting season, they are protecting their chicks/eggs.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
Alfred Hitchcock lived there.

·
Registered
962 Posts
seeing the post, i was hoping for 8 miles high.

if it had been an owl, you'd be dinner, and regurgitated as a pellet.

owls are scary awesome.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
I grew up near Bodega. I have passed all the major scene items hundreds of times in my life
I was a kid when I saw that movie. It scared the crap out of me.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I was a kid when I saw that movie. It scared the crap out of me.
if you are ever in the SF BAy Area take a trip up to Bodega. (about an hour from SF). The movie was shot int 2 places, the town of Bodega which is a short ways from the coast and Bodega Bay. The town is where the Church and schoolyard are. It hasn't changed much at all, you can go there and get skeered all over again.

Google View, Spring 2014

Attachments

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
To an old guy like me, the topic suggested this....

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
In a real boot camp, you run every day.

Glad ur OK.
Unless you are in the Air Force. Then you power walk every day and get a smoothie.

·
Chief Road Officer
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah! I bin there! Was driving with my wife from Sebastapol to the coast and I recognized it immediately.

·
Chief Road Officer
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In a real boot camp you're twentysomething years old and your knees haven't been ravaged yet.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,921 Posts
I have quite few owls in my woods around the house they are quite comfortable with me coming really close to them.

(this picture is full frame, no crop at all)

I can't imagine an owl attacking a human unless possibly it has a chick on the ground.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts