Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen it? Robert Wilson directed, Wom Waits did the music, and from what I believe, William Burroughs adapted the play from Faust, and kind of thres a bit of autobiographical sutff in there as well (wouldn't be Burroughs if it weren't a bit autobiographical).

I'm planning on going to see it in LA, probably sometime next month. What did you think of it if you've seen it? Or, what have you all heard about it?

http://act-sf.org/blackrider/

joe

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Haven't seen the performance, but I've got the soundtrack, which is first rate. It's not adapted from Faust, but from a German folk tale. Two important differences are that Faust brought his own damnation without any tricks in the gift from Mephisto, while the hunter in the Black Rider is brought down by tricks. Second, Faust goes for knowledge and forswears love while the hunter in the Black Rider is after love. The links to Burroughs's own life are inescapable (he shot his own wife to death in a drunken William Tell stunt) and his introduction of drug themes ("The First One's Always Free") underscores this.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Fredke said:
Haven't seen the performance, but I've got the soundtrack, which is first rate. It's not adapted from Faust, but from a German folk tale. Two important differences are that Faust brought his own damnation without any tricks in the gift from Mephisto, while the hunter in the Black Rider is brought down by tricks. Second, Faust goes for knowledge and forswears love while the hunter in the Black Rider is after love. The links to Burroughs's own life are inescapable (he shot his own wife to death in a drunken William Tell stunt) and his introduction of drug themes ("The First One's Always Free") underscores this.
Yeah I have that soundtrack--I just can't listen to the song that Burroughs sings though. Too painful.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
Yeah I have that soundtrack--I just can't listen to the song that Burroughs sings though. Too painful.

Love the avatar... "I have no idea what's goin' on......"

Also, I wonder how the actual singing compares to the album. I haven't heard that particular Waits album yet, and maybe I'll have to hold off on getting it till I see The Black Rider.

joe

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
Love the avatar... "I have no idea what's goin' on......"

Also, I wonder how the actual singing compares to the album. I haven't heard that particular Waits album yet, and maybe I'll have to hold off on getting it till I see The Black Rider.

joe
Weren't you the one who's a big Elivis Costello fan? Heard his new one this weekend called My Flame Burns Blue with the 52-piece Metropole Orkest. Cool sounds:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E0OF0W/sr=8-1/qid=1144856918/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8545728-7435144?%5Fencoding=UTF8

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
Weren't you the one who's a big Elivis Costello fan? Heard his new one this weekend called My Flame Burns Blue with the 52-piece Metropole Orkest. Cool sounds:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E0OF0W/sr=8-1/qid=1144856918/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8545728-7435144?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Yeah.... Big Costello fan. It's sick, really.

I've got that album, and it's fantastic. Of course, i think that everything that he does is fantastic.

He wrote lyrics to Hora Decubitus which I was kind of turned off by at first, because I'm also a pretty big Mingus fan. But after hearing it I was completley awed. It was great, and he didn't take away from Mingus' composition.

Another favorite from that album is That's How You got Killed Before, which is an old song, I think from Dave Barthololamew, and it's great.. really gets you movin.

joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts