Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...are ripping around overhead right now.

Just thought you'd want to know.

·
Great White North
1,139 Posts
Saw them a few weeks ago in Michigan. Always a good show.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
Our airshow is this weekend without a headline act, you stole them from us.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
I love them. I used to live in Annapolis. Even if I didn't go downtown for one of the shows, they'd fly right over my house and scare the bejeezus out of our dog.

As a tax payer, I'm willing to let them keep the Blue Angels.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
The family goes to the beach every year.
One of my rides it out to the Pensacolo NAS where the BA's are stationed.
They when landing and taking off it appears to be just above the tree tops.
Loud as all get out too. Scared the crap out of me the first time.
I now ride out there just to watch the practice.

They have a killer museum there too, pretty decent bar food to boot.

The BA's are BA.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
Pancho's Balls said:
And this costs taxpayers how much?
"The 3000 hours of simply training the single Commanding Officer of the Blue Angels used up 3,600,000 gallons of jet fuel just in the training phase (3,000 hours X 1,200 gallons/hr)!

How about the costs in fuel for the other 15 officer pilots? The 1,350 training hours for the 15 other officer pilots on the team (although only six perform at a time) consumed 1,620,000 gallons for each one's 1350 hours of training (1,350 hours X 1,200gallons/hr X 15). Multiply that by the 15 pilots and you get 24,300,000 gallons of fuel just for the training. At today’s costs of jet fuel, $7/gallon, for every new Navy pilot who aspires to become a Blue Angel, the costs to US taxpayers, just for training, would be $11,340,000 per pilot. "
http://www.zcommunications.org/some-sobering-thoughts-about-the-blue-angels-air-show-by-gary-g-kohls
Waste o' money...

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Henry Porter said:
"The 3000 hours of simply training the single Commanding Officer of the Blue Angels used up 3,600,000 gallons of jet fuel just in the training phase (3,000 hours X 1,200 gallons/hr)!

How about the costs in fuel for the other 15 officer pilots? The 1,350 training hours for the 15 other officer pilots on the team (although only six perform at a time) consumed 1,620,000 gallons for each one's 1350 hours of training (1,350 hours X 1,200gallons/hr X 15). Multiply that by the 15 pilots and you get 24,300,000 gallons of fuel just for the training. At today’s costs of jet fuel, $7/gallon, for every new Navy pilot who aspires to become a Blue Angel, the costs to US taxpayers, just for training, would be $11,340,000 per pilot. "
http://www.zcommunications.org/some-sobering-thoughts-about-the-blue-angels-air-show-by-gary-g-kohls
Waste o' money...
divide that by the # of spectators they see every year...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Blue Angels > Thunderbirds. Both great shows and great recruiting tools, though.

The numbers posted above are a little misleading - 3000 hours are his total time flying, not just training to be an Angel. Those hours include primary training, formal training in their specific airframe, combat time, etc., not just training to be part of the show. In essence, their whole flying career to that point is "training" to be part of the team.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Henry Porter said:

Waste o' money...
hmm......

1200 gallons an hour? Seems a little high. I don't think a hornet burns that much. The external fuel tanks on a legacy hornet are only 380 gallons. I think it may burn closer to 500 or 600 gallons an hour in cruise.... but I could be wrong. I know a T-45 doesn't burn 1200 gallons an hour.

...and the "...15 other officer pilots on the team...." math doesn't work very well either. There are only seven Blue Angel jets.... the other officers don't fly hornets. I think there are three officers in Fat Albert, and the other officers mostly fly a desk....

While costly, I agree, I have no problem with my tax money being spent to train warriors who defend my freedom. The public relations aspect of the Blues and the Birds is money well spent, imo. They typically do three years with the team, and then go back to a squadron, defending my and your freedom.

What DOES make my insanely mad is the money spent to fly Biden and Pelosi around. He's an idiot, and she has a plane on reserve EVERY week of the year, mostly to fly her back home to california. Oh, and not only is my tax money paying for the gas to fly her back and forth, we are also paying for the alcohol consumed on her plane....WTF?

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
both are grossly expensive

false advertising campaigns
sucker guys into the forces w/ promises and dreams of being a Top Gun
spend their career w/ a broom sweeping the tarmac

my office is near Miramar, we get buzzed every year and can watch from the roof

·
Good for you!
419 Posts
Henry Porter said:

Waste o' money...
Wow, I don't know where to start with how inaccurate and misleading this is...

Without going into the flawed fuel burn numbers let me just address the flight hours: the above presumes that the "training hours" were all JUST to become a Blue Angle. The hours listed aren't far off the mark for the average team member however those are cumulative hours of experience gained over numerous squadron tours and deployments in support of our national interests.

No, I didn't sleep at Holiday Inn last night, Yes, I am a Naval Aviator.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
wagsea6b said:
Wow, I don't know where to start with how inaccurate and misleading this is...

Without going into the flawed fuel burn numbers let me just address the flight hours: the above presumes that the "training hours" were all JUST to become a Blue Angle. The hours listed aren't far off the mark for the average team member however those are cumulative hours of experience gained over numerous squadron tours and deployments in support of our national interests.

No, I didn't sleep at Holiday Inn last night, Yes, I am a Naval Aviator.
Well, those experiences still are training for the blue angels just as every patient I see will prepare me for the future. Plus that writer didn't even figure on the cost of the planes themselves.

Nor the cost to the environment.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Henry Porter said:

Waste o' money...
Dear Henry,

Would you please bend over and place your BS numbers back into the the body orfice from which you retrieved them from?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts