Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man these carbon drop bars seem to be a lot more expensive than my ENVE mtb bars.

I'm looking for some carbon bars that somewhat reasonable in price, aren't too stiff and aren't too flexy. I'm not a crit or road racer (as of now) so I'm basically looking to improve comfort via taking some of the road buzz out and be nicer to hold onto.

These bars may also transfer over to a CX/Gravel rig in the future too... and I do gravel race a bit.

I don't know much about drop bars yet, I think the ones I have now on my 2011 Speedster S20 are compact drop? Not sure on the width, how is that measured? I might want to go slightly wider.

I've already moved to a 25mm Conti 4000s II up front from a 23mm which has helped a lot. Just looking for a lil more.

Where are some good sites to look at bars?

I do a lot of long rides on my road bike and comfort up front is what I kinda struggle with at time. After many miles those bumps start to sting.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
The $200 or whatever it would be might be better spent on a good bike fitter. Maybe you have extra sensitive hands but generally speaking stinging hands is not at all 'normal' for any distance even on rough surface if your bike fit is okay.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Why carbon? You get much less for your money, unless you are hot for wing-shaped tops.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My bike fit feels good, I'm pretty happy with it. I've already gone down to 80mm stem (I think) and raised it up one spacer. Maybe there's still too much weight on them? I ride mostly on the hoods and down in the drops.

I like the feel of carbon, if it's going to help mute the harshness then I would it would be worth it.

I am kinda hot for the wing tops lol...especially if they are gonna be nice and fat for me to grab onto, I may actually start using the tops. And if the drops are nicer to grab then I'm even more interested.

Last Saturday on my 66 mile ride my hands were a bit uncomfortable and I was getting a bit of nerve buzz. Granted though I was using my winter gloves since it was low 30s so I didn't have any gel padding which is more of the cause.

I do know though as I start to approach 65-70 miles, my hands may start to suffer if road has been rough. I'm just trying to maximize my hand comfort.

I have learned that my hands like larger diameters to grab onto. I tried some foam grips on my mtb once and immediately hated them because the dia felt so much smaller and it created sharp pressure points. After realizing that I went and found some meatier grips that have been super comfy, the larger dia just feels so much better.

I would imagine this applies a bit with the road bars, maybe I need to double up on tape or something. The new tape feels kinda thin.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Some bars are measured outside to outside, others center to center, depends on the manufacturer I think.
You've switched to 25's which is a good start, best bang for the buck may be cushy bar-tape and making sure your air pressures are appropriate.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
My bike fit feels good, I'm pretty happy with it. I've already gone down to 80mm stem (I think) and raised it up one spacer. Maybe there's still too much weight on them? I ride mostly on the hoods and down in the drops.

I like the feel of carbon, if it's going to help mute the harshness then I would it would be worth it.

I am kinda hot for the wing tops lol...especially if they are gonna be nice and fat for me to grab onto, I may actually start using the tops. And if the drops are nicer to grab then I'm even more interested.

Last Saturday on my 66 mile ride my hands were a bit uncomfortable and I was getting a bit of nerve buzz. Granted though I was using my winter gloves since it was low 30s so I didn't have any gel padding which is more of the cause.

I do know though as I start to approach 65-70 miles, my hands may start to suffer if road has been rough. I'm just trying to maximize my hand comfort.

I have learned that my hands like larger diameters to grab onto. I tried some foam grips on my mtb once and immediately hated them because the dia felt so much smaller and it created sharp pressure points. After realizing that I went and found some meatier grips that have been super comfy, the larger dia just feels so much better.

I would imagine this applies a bit with the road bars, maybe I need to double up on tape or something. The new tape feels kinda thin.
That to me says either you are very petite, or something is very off with your fit. Either way I'd spend the $200USD on a fit before buying a CF bar you may not like. Because you're looking at spending a gob of money on something you may very well find doesn't work for you....or at least it doesn't solve your specific problem you are having.

First I'd try handlebar gel pads and/or better bartape. Some tape has no cushion at all like Fizik Microtex.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Maybe. Sometimes these things are counter intuitive though. It might seem logical that higher and closer would put less pressure on hand but in my experience it's the exact opposite. Not to imply it would be for everyone but....

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
How is your core? Maybe you are just putting to much weight on your hands because your core is not supporting you. Do you hold the bars tightly or loose?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
That shouldn't happen with the proper fit even with no gloves. Sounds like your weight balance may be little too much to the front.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
Experiment with lower tire pressures. You would be amazed what 20 PSI lower in the front will feel like. If they will fit between your stays, try 28mm tires. Trust me, they will NOT slow you down. Use this site below and enter values in the 2nd box:

Bicycle tire pressure calculator

Also, if your winter gloves don't have padding, remember that you can wear your padded summer gloves underneath and get some protection.

You could also try tilting your saddle with the nose slightly upward. This will limit your tendency to shift your weight forward.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, the first calculator in the "Bicycle Tire Pressure Calculator" gives me a tire pressure of 195 psi (210 lbs combined rider/bicycle) on 25mm tires.

That seems crazy high.

Is that combined tire pressure and should be halved?

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Wow, the first calculator in the "Bicycle Tire Pressure Calculator" gives me a tire pressure of 195 psi (210 lbs combined rider/bicycle) on 25mm tires.

That seems crazy high.

It says "Weight measured at wheel"

I take that to mean weight on each wheel. I guess you'd need to sit on the bike with a scale under each tire.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts

That seems crazy high.

Yes.

Use the 2nd box where it asks for separate front and rear tire widths.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
It says "Weight measured at wheel"

I take that to mean weight on each wheel. I guess you'd need to sit on the bike with a scale under each tire.

For the third time, use the 2nd box and enter your values there.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
So you think front and rear pressure should be equal? Or did you just link to a nonsense calculator? I'm guessing you're wrong about halving the number.
:rolleyes: I repeat for the 4th time: use the 2nd box and enter your values there. :mad2:

I meant yes, that's what was intended for the 1st box. I don't think there is much value in the 1st box, or for that matter using the same pressures front and rear.

FWIW, I run 70 front, 100 rear these days.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Been a busy week leading up to Barry-Roubaix! Awesome time and weather!!

I had been thinking about things as I rode my road bike this past week...there does seem to be a bit of weight on my hands. Is it because of the shorter stem? Is the reach supposed to be longer so that you core ends up supporting your upper more than you hands? Maybe that's the problem.

My core should be pretty strong, i'm 13000 miles into my cycling life, 1000 miles in this year and I do a lot of mountain biking. I only have 2429 miles on a road bike.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
Been a busy week leading up to Barry-Roubaix! Awesome time and weather!!

I had been thinking about things as I rode my road bike this past week...there does seem to be a bit of weight on my hands. Is it because of the shorter stem? Is the reach supposed to be longer so that you core ends up supporting your upper more than you hands? Maybe that's the problem.

My core should be pretty strong, i'm 13000 miles into my cycling life, 1000 miles in this year and I do a lot of mountain biking. I only have 2429 miles on a road bike.

A shorter stem will not put more weight on your hands. Either your core isn't strong enough or the nose on your saddle is tilted too far down. You may be unconsciously putting more weight on your hands to prevent yourself from sliding forward. Try tilting the saddle nose slightly upward. Try a shorter ride this way first to make sure the family jewels can deal with it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My nose is kinda tilted down and I do tend to slide forward. I'll try changing that first.

Also on tire pressures... I've been running around 85psi up front, 100 in back.

For my core...seems like i just don't use it because i'm lazy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts