Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These days, when I look at the price of a new bike component, I just think about the cost in relation to the equivalent quantity of gasoline.

A friend owns a large SUV, and he fills his tank once a week, which costs him $60.00 at current prices. For a month, that's $240.00, which in bike speak equals two Chris King Headsets (give or take a few bucks).

I worked with someone years ago who smoked two packs of cigarettes per day; one day she asked me how much I spent on my new bike. When I told her the amount, she looked at me like I was crazy and said something to that effect as well. I responded by asking her how many packs of cigarettes per day she smoked. She said two, and I did the math for her:

1 pack = $4.00 (is this even the cost anymore, isn't it higher?)

2 packs per day = $8.00

$8.00 x 7 days per week = $56.00 per week

$56.00 per week x 52 weeks in a year = $2,912.00

It's ironic that for $2,900.00 a year you could ride an awfully nice bike, or shorten your life and increase your risk of cancer. I'm not sure how some folks' brains work sometimes. :confused:

I don't want to get preachy, but I asked how long she'd been smoking for, and she said 26 years: 26 years x $2912.00 = $75,712.00 (granted that doesn't take into consideration increases in cost, but as an approximation, it's mindbending).

Personally I'd like to spend it on bikes and better health.

(I'll get down off the pulpit now, :) )

· Registered
1,876 Posts
Excellent observations.
I think cycling is very inexpensive when compared to other individual sports like golf, tennis, skiing. My previous sport was waterskiing which is far far more expensive if you take it seriously.

Al

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,358 Posts
Mr. Peabody said:
These days, when I look at the price of a new bike component, I just think about the cost in relation to the equivalent quantity of gasoline.

A friend owns a large SUV, and he fills his tank once a week, which costs him $60.00 at current prices. For a month, that's $240.00, which in bike speak equals a two Chris King Headsets (give or take a few bucks).

I worked with someone years ago who smoked two packs of cigarettes per day; one day she asked me how much I spent on my new bike. When I told her the amount, she looked at me like I was crazy and said something to that effect as well. I responded by asking her how many packs of cigarettes per day she smoked. She said two, and I did the math for her:

1 pack = $4.00 (is this even the cost anymore, isn't it higher?)

2 packs per day = $8.00

$8.00 x 7 days per week = $56.00 per week

$56.00 per week x 52 weeks in a year = $2,912.00

It's ironic that for $2,900.00 a year you could ride an awfully nice bike, or shorten your life and increase your risk of cancer. I'm not sure how some folks' brains work sometimes. :confused:

I don't want to get preachy, but I asked how long she'd been smoking for, and she said 26 years: 26 years x $2912.00 = $75,712.00 (granted that doesn't take into consideration increases in cost, but as an approximation, it's mindbending).

Personally I'd like to spend it on bikes and better health.

(I'll get down off the pulpit now, :) )
Why do you hate Detroit, and by extension, @merica????

I think Bicycling does something on this every once & a while...

· Registered
1,076 Posts
I quit in 1990

I was a pack-a-day smoker for 7 years and quit when I was 20. If I average out the cost of cigs between then and now, factoring in that I would have gotten them duty free until I was 26, my savings over the past 16 years would be $17,355.52. Now where did I put that money?? Damned if I can find it in my bank account, that's for sure.

· Registered
432 Posts
When it gets down to it, riding your bike increases your lifespan. Taking just that into account, at some point the bike has paid for itself, provided you put some dollar amount on how much your life is worth for a year (to somebody in your life you could be priceless). The cost of maintaining the bike, therefore, is the cost of new tires, tubes and drivetrain as it wears out in the miles you put on the bike. If I consider it's worth a penny for every mile I do, then the bike has paid for itself and consumables are paid for, so I'm making a great profit.

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
StormShadow said:
Don't be so self-centered. You could take that $3,000 and feed some starving kids in a third world country.
I'm not making any judgements about people's hobbies or how they choose to spend their money. I'm simply observing that cycling, when compared to other forms of passing the time, or other expenses people don't often think about, the costs associated with cycling are relatively low.

Okay, bye bye now.

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I've had lots of "stuff-requiring" hobbies in my short time: Cars, paintball, geeky miniatures, computers, and now this.

Cycling is expensive -- exactly as expensive as any other "stuff" hobby, for me, because in each I spent as much as I could afford because it was fun to, and the industry in question will always make more stuff to buy.

The main difference is the ratio of time spent actually RIDING MY BIKE, compared to just thinking about and buying stuff for it.

That's why I won't protest the cost of bike stuff, especially since I KNOW I could get a perfectly good complete bike for the price of my wheelset, I just chose not to. (And my wheels were "only" $500...)

· Registered
216 Posts
Don't worry, I was being a bit sarcastic. I was thinking of Sally Struthers saying "For the cost of a cup of cofffee a day, you could feed this child for a month."

Actually I think that ball sports are a lot cheaper than biking. Think about it. You can go to the sports store and buy a soccer ball for $10 and 11 people on two teams can play a game. That's pretty cheap.

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
ericm979 said:
Cycling is a lot cheaper than the drugs, therapy and lawyers I'd need if I didn't have cycling in my life.

lol...I may still need them...but CHOOSE to ride instead. I have about 2 grand in a bike...and another 500 in related stuff......I get a new ride say every 20 to 30,000 miles and average around $300 a year on related stuff, parts and repairs/maintenance.
If I am not riding during the season I am thinking about riding.
I do not spend money I cannot afford to spend.....Since cycling is my only vice....I am doing pretty good.

· Registered
635 Posts
StormShadow said:
Don't worry, I was being a bit sarcastic. I was thinking of Sally Struthers saying "For the cost of a cup of cofffee a day, you could feed this child for a month."

Actually I think that ball sports are a lot cheaper than biking. Think about it. You can go to the sports store and buy a soccer ball for $10 and 11 people on two teams can play a game. That's pretty cheap.
true, but then people start buying cleats, which range from like $20 to over $200, say $75 for a decent pair, socks, uniforms, shingaurds, same with baseball, football, etc.....still cheaper than cycling though

the other day one of my friends parents said, so, your an addict now (re cycling), i replied, yea, its cheaper than smack.....

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
StormShadow said:

I thought that was just a dollar a day? Hell, that's still pretty cheap.

I try to factor in altruistic pursuits in addition to my cycling addiction. :)

My wife and I just tallyed up the cost of all our cycling gear for insurance purposes, and we were a bit surprised, but compared to the cost of other things, heck it's not that bad.

· Registered
1,418 Posts
When it comes right down to it, you COULD spend as little as a couple hundred dollars a year on cycling. If you're not picky about the ride or the clothes, but just want to ride on the open road, you could get away for under $1k and make that bike last for several years.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Cycling could be an affordable sport once you are setup with bike, helmet, clothes, shoes. For me it hasn't been cheap. Keep upgrading, keep buying bikes :D

My alchoholic brother spends more on beer per year than I do on cycling though. At least a 12 pack of busch light + 2 packs of smokes per day. All day, every day. He calls me crazy for spending 4k on a single bike...

· Registered
3,245 Posts
Einstruzende said:
My alchoholic brother spends more on beer per year than I do on cycling though. At least a 12 pack of busch light + 2 packs of smokes per day. All day, every day. He calls me crazy for spending 4k on a single bike...
I know a couple of guys with the beer, the smokes and the bikes.

· Registered
266 Posts
Cycling is cheap

Well, I have a couple of other hobbies than I can compare with. Sailing and Shooting. Cycling helps keep me in shape for those hobbies:D

Shooting:
This year so far.
New AR-15. Roughly $2000
New custom 1911. $1500
New Dillon reloading press.$500
Ammo and match fees: Who knows??? alot..probably in the neighborhood of 15k rounds so far.

Sailing:
New boat. $5000
Sails. $5500
Repairs. $2000
Crew expenses, lodging, food, booze, etc: God only knows....

Cycling.
New Frame. $600 pro-bro deal hookup. took one year old record parts off old frame.
Tires. $60
Tubes. $50ish
Trip to InterBike in Vegas. We'll just keep that a secret....
My wife loves it when I ride my bike. It means I'm not out doing something that costs a whole lot more:D

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.