Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many of you have seen this documentary, but after watching it last night, I am compelled to help get the word out. For those of you who don't know, this Oscar winning documentary is about the YEARLY, unjustifiable slaughter of over 20,000 dolphins, herded into a coves in Japan. It is just one cove of many, that this takes place in. These needless killings take place every year, beginning the first of September. Adults and babies by the thousands. A few are sold to Sea World and the like, for our entertainment. The rest are to endure a gruesome, torturous death.

It is a another brutal testament to how little compassion humans have for nature, and it's beings. The country of Japan knows what they are doing is wrong, and go to extremes to hide it. The people of Japan, for the most part, have no idea this is even happening.

I urge everyone to watch this documentary, sign the petitions, and do what ever you can.
I don't know how anyone could watch this, and not do something. Boycott Sea World and other aquariums that keep dolphins captive, and continue this cycle of death.

Watch the trailer, watch the film, take action (Please!) http://www.takepart.com/thecove

JAPAN, HAVE YOU NO SOUL?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I haven't seen it, not sure I'd be ok with seeing it, but I have signed all the petitions and such. I can't even watch Whale Wars, it's too upsetting.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spaz said:
I haven't seen it, not sure I'd be ok with seeing it, but I have signed all the petitions and such. I can't even watch Whale Wars, it's too upsetting.
It is very hard to watch, knowing how intelligent and kind these animals are. It will make your heart ache, and your blood boil... no doubt. I'm not usually the protester type, but I am compelled.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
d365 said:
It is very hard to watch, knowing how intelligent and kind these animals are. It will make your heart ache, and your blood boil... no doubt. I'm not usually the protester type, but I am compelled.
What do you say we nuke '[email protected]?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
do they mention what they're doing with the dolphins or why they're killing them?

are they mixing dolphin meat back in with the tuna to recreate the flavor from before tuna was dolphin safe?

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
d365 said:
If they are so smart, why didn't they develop weapons to fight back with?

·
Registered
11,066 Posts
I watched it this weekend. it's a sobering and disturbing film.

voted Best Documentary at the 2010 Academy Awards, it chronicles the actions of Japanese fishermen who brutally kill up to 23,000 dolphins annually in one location (Taiji).

there are only a few minutes of footage that show the actual killing process (the dolphins are lanced from boats), the majority of the film is devoted to the efforts of Ric O'Barry (trainer for the dolphins used in the tv series Flipper) to bring attention to the senseless slaughter of these animals.

watch the film, you'll be impressed with the actions of some dedicated people who attempt to bring attention to a practice that needs to be stopped immediately.

or, you could just be a jackass and make lame jokes about a horrific waste of wildlife.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I like a funny as much as the next person, but I've seen this and there is nothing laughable about it. Just a sickening waste of life.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Heard the filmmaker interviewed 6 months or so ago- pretty sobering to hear.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
roscoe said:
it's not a total waste, they do eat them

yes. they feed this mercury toxic meat to their people, under disguised names. unfortunately, the mercury will not kill them fast enough to make a difference.

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
No way I could ever watch that. But I did see the trailer. I saw a similar documentary called "Earthlings" (Do NOT even watch the trailer for this film if you're the compassionate type who still has a soul). After that, I try to stay away from the footage of the stuff but yet stay aware of what I know happens to animals around the world. It's really horrible what people can do to animals, much less, each other.

·
xploshin
530 Posts
It's disappointing that people can make jokes about something so macabre as the slaughter of dolphins. Grow up.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
d365 said:
....YEARLY, unjustifiable slaughter of over 20,000 dolphins,....
Wow, a whole 20,000 in a year. Let's just say 400 a week.....

How about a nice bacon cheeseburger? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
it's just a different culture that puts different values on the lives of animals (this pocket of Japan vs USA)

they're not killing dolphins just to be A-holes, what they're doing is apparently acceptable in their society

what's macabre or horrific to some is just regular old tuesday to others

·
Witty custom user title
552 Posts
No, it's not acceptable in Japanese society as a whole...just in the village of Taiji for the most part. I live in Japan, and most every other coastal area I've been to does nothing of the sort - they actually revere dolphins and very much enjoy seeing them in the wild and enjoying them for their beauty, human-like personality in some sense, etc. Trust me, this is a very localized issue in southern Japan and the majority of Japanese are HIGHLY embarrassed by the run this film got. Hopefully the success of this film will help stem this horrific practice. From someone who has spent considerable time with dolphins in the wild - this is tough for me to see.

Oh, and the comparison to cows is really apples to oranges IMO. If you want to base it on intelligence alone, there's really no comparison at all. But that's a discussion for some other time I guess.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts