Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After talking with a friend of mine he said I should look at the headset which I had previous thought wasn't the culprit because my bike creaked no hands. He said he had, had the same issue and it happened no hands and it was the headset. So I put new headset bearings in and it helped initially but did not fully cure the issue. After a few more rides it was back to where it had started. So knowing at least where the issue was, was a big help because at this point I really had tried just about everything else you could think of. So I took the front end apart a few more times, greased, re-greased etc each time would improve the creak for a bit but then would go back to the same level.

So trying to get to the bottom of it I was gently bouncing the front end of the bike and hearing a vibration. Later I am at my Dads who is also a biker but doesn’t do any work on his own bike and I am showing him the noise. He says try doing it with the front brake on. I had already tried this and said that dampens the movement so it doesn’t make the noise but to humor him I showed him. Well with the front brake on I bounced the front wheel a little bit more than previously and hear a single click/creak and think that didn’t sound good. At this point my Dad declares that he has fixed the bike, this is pre any sort of test ride etc.

So I give a quick spin, no creak, go down the road to a hill, go up it 5 times hard, no creak, go out do a quick 20 no creak. My Dad thinks this is great because I do all my own work on my own bike and a lot on his, and he is not super mechanically inclined but he “fixed it”. At this point I’ll take it, that creak was really driving me nuts, I had spent so much time trying to figure it out. It seems like holding the brake and bouncing the front wheel seated something that wasn’t seated properly even though the headset bearings were properly loaded and there was no play. I've been dealing with this for at least 2.5 years. Amazing.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Possibly something loose inside the fork causing it. /shrug
I had a creak I searched to find the root of: wasn't saddle/post, as it was there while standing; wasn't the headset after checking everything; wasn't the quick release levers; wasn't the chainrings or rear derailleur. Finally, I swapped out the bottom bracket, and the creak was still there! I was nearly at my wit's end. Can't remember how I discovered it, but it was caused by new pedals that had been mounted right before this started. A little lube, and the creaking was all gone!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts