Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this book has been recommended before, but here's a thread specifically for Matt Rendell's book. Of the 20 or so cycling books I've read, I think this is the most compelling and revealing. Rendell's exhaustive research and numerous interviews provides a balanced, authoritative overview of one of the greatest cyclists/climbers ever. Rendell also gives the reader an insight into Pantani's mentality/psychosis and the extent to which his life was ruled by performance enhancing and recreational drugs. He also provides damning evidence about a number of other riders active during Pantani's career.
It's a fascinating read that covers Pantani’s unique talents from the start of his career to his downfall and ultimately his death. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
32,387 Posts
Agree ... plus

So many of Pantani's associates, handlers, hanger-ons, medical professionals, sponsors, and other's living off Pantani's name seem to compromise their virtues over $$$$$. A bit like prize fighting ... who really cares about the lasting ramifications of the participants as long as the money flows to the promoters, trainers, media, etc.

This is to offer no excuse for Marco's conduct, although I couldn't avoid a sadness over his life once the book was completed.

·
Beatchin' Technology
372 Posts
Worth a second read...

This is on my shelf to read again. Rendell is a very good writer (A Significant Other, etc.) and Pantani (accent on the last syllable-per the 98 Tour tifosi) is my favorite rider to watch on video when on the trainer.

This book is my choice, also, as the PhD text for you degree in Dopage. Read Voet first on Festina and Kimmage (who was a good writer for a rider, I guess) first.

·
Banned
2,241 Posts
The thing I walked away with was despite the book being extreaming well researched and that author had talked to all the key people in his life he still felt like he did not know him. That even those close to him were only exposed to small pieces of him and did not know really know him either.

It also was clear that Marco was completely nuts.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
gizzard said:
I know this book has been recommended before, but here's a thread specifically for Matt Rendell's book. Of the 20 or so cycling books I've read, I think this is the most compelling and revealing. Rendell's exhaustive research and numerous interviews provides a balanced, authoritative overview of one of the greatest cyclists/climbers ever. Rendell also gives the reader an insight into Pantani's mentality/psychosis and the extent to which his life was ruled by performance enhancing and recreational drugs. He also provides damning evidence about a number of other riders active during Pantani's career.
It's a fascinating read that covers Pantani’s unique talents from the start of his career to his downfall and ultimately his death. :thumbsup:
Boonen and Ulrich should read a copy.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I was a Pantani fan and enjoyed the book, even though it didn't paint the prettiest of pictures of its' subject. In spite of all of his problems, my best memory of Marco is of him riding in the drops while standing and dancing on the pedals, ascending another huge mountain in the Tour or Giro.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
blackhat said:
how? it was a nearly encyclopedic telling of pantani's life.
if it was encyclopedic, then there'd be interviews with teammates, and other riders, and christine johnsson, amongst others.

it started well, then petered out. pity.

blackhat said:
I thought it was a slight bit dry at times but it told his story in greater detail than I've seen anywhere else.
how's your italian?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
botto said:
if it was encyclopedic, then there'd be interviews with teammates, and other riders, and christine johnsson, amongst others.

it started well, then petered out. pity.

how's your italian?
my Italian is at best not good. It's been over a year since I read it so I'm probably wrong but I thought there were several of his early teammates quoted at length. Perhaps not. I'll have to find it and read it again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.