Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing the Death Ride (https://deathride.com/) in July - 130 miles, 15000' of climbing - and wondering if my iPhone 6 battery will last to record the whole thing using Cyclemeter? Anyone done it? Thinking of carrying an extra battery. The ride will be about 11-12 hours.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
There are variables here. What services besides GPS are you running? Bluetooth? WiFi? What apps are running?

Regardless, It almost certainly will not last without supplemental battery, especially if you have the screen on at all during that time.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good points, I should have mentioned in my original post. Standard stuff to maximize battery - WiFi Off, Bluetooth Off, all apps closed except Cyclemeter, screen off (it'd be in my pocket, not on handlebars). I figure just taking out a couple of times for some pics and check the ride status; not checking email, facebook, web.

I figured some folks here have done the Death Ride with an iPhone app and could chime in whether it lasted or if they used an external battery.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Well, I dont use an iPhone, and I've never done the Death Ride (sounds serious!).

I have done some day-long rides with android phones and Garmin and Wahoo computers.

What I usually do, if I really want to make sure I don't lose my ride data, is carry a small portable USB charger with me, along with whatever cables I need (Monoprice is a great place to get really short ones). When I pull into a rest area, I just plug them in for a few minutes. Newer devices mostly support 'Fast Charge' feature, and even just a few minutes of charging can add hours to the devices battery.

Another thing to consider. If you do kill your phone, you also lose your ability to make (and receive) phone calls. Kind of important I'd say.

To that end, it's probably a really good idea to take some spare battery juice with you. If nothing else, you'll have it in case of an emergency of some kind.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Go to settings, switch battery to low. You might make it. I've gone 10 a couple times without low on.

age of battery matters too. Apple Store can tell you how far off max you are due to battery age.

Last, I think the heat will drain you faster as well. Obviously, don't take any pictures, text, or do anything else. Start it.... And go dark to finish.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
You can buy an external battery for about $10.00 that will give you 2 extra full charges. Small size and you can leave it plugged in to the phone while you ride. I am surprised you do not have one. It's kind of a regular thing for travel or in your case an all day bike ride.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do it faster than 12 hours and you're set. :)

I did the death ride and I'd suggest minimizing your load. The less things you bring the better. An external battery would be a pain. Can you borrow a Garmin? Not to mention you get wet on that ride. There could be thunderstorms and there are hose off stations. iPhones aren't too waterproof and external battery packs definitely are now. Lastly, if you are riding the death ride, don't you already have 12 hour rides under your belt with your iPhone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
I make Eagles fly
620 Posts
Are you using your phone as a display or just sitting in a pocket to track ?

Make sure urge its charged, turn off all apps but Strava , use only as required and have a $10 battery backup with you.

·
Registered
843 Posts

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Get an Anker. I got me one of these. Nice and small with a bit of power. Just make sure you get the small cable to attach to your phone. If you start with your phone fully charged then this is 2+ full charges. I have not done the death ride but some centuries with it. But those were a lot shorter in duration than yours. Get 2 :)

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Lipstick-Sized-Generation-High-Quality/dp/B005NF5NTK
Or get one bigger one. You can get ones with 3 times that capacity, or even more.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Are you using your phone as a display or just sitting in a pocket to track ?

Make sure urge its charged, turn off all apps but Strava , use only as required and have a $10 battery backup with you.
good tip. all the folks suggesting recharge battery are smart.

If you have your iphone on the bars to use as a bike computer with the display on bright like I do, the battery is only going to go maybe 3 hours in my experience. I just strap on a little stem-toptube bag and put the recharge battery in it. I ordered a bunch of 10-20cm lightning cables on ebay so there is no mess of cables.
20cm Short Lightning USB 2 0 Cable Sync Data Charger Cable FOR Iphone 6 6s 5s | eBay

top tube bag NEW Topeak Tribag TOP Tube Bags Bike With Rain Cover TC2501B | eBay

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'm doing the Death Ride (https://deathride.com/) in July - 130 miles, 15000' of climbing - and wondering if my iPhone 6 battery will last to record the whole thing using Cyclemeter? Anyone done it? Thinking of carrying an extra battery. The ride will be about 11-12 hours.
Well, can't speak to the iPhone, but my Garmin 1000 lasted the full length of the Mallora 232 (145 miles 12,000 feet of climbing) :D . Just barely but it made it. I did have a small auxiliary battery and charger with my just in case however and would recommend it. Having ridden all those passes (though not all in one day), I'm not sure how well your iPhone GPS will do; you might consider getting something like a Garmin. Also you definitely want to put it in airplane mode; there area areas with poor cell reception along there and if the cellular function of the phone is on, it'll be banging out at full power trying to ping towers which will drain your battery FAST.

EDIT: Sorry, thought you were talking about the Death Ride in Colorado. I have no idea about cell reception on that route in Calif. I'd still turn the cellular off though.

·
Registered
357 Posts
LOL, not if it's taking him 12 hours... that is seriously slow for TDR.

·
Registered
174 Posts
For my longest ride (9.5 hours, earlier this year) I want to say I had about 25% left on my iPhone 5s. I put it in Airplane mode and had Bluetooth enabled and shoved it in my pocket with Cyclemeter running the whole time. At lunch I re-enabled cell connection to send some texts and then back to airplane mode. I took the very occasional picture. Like OldChipper said, if/when you hit areas of no signal your battery life will go south in a heartbeat.

Based on my experience you'd be cutting it too close at 12 hours. Like just about everyone said, get a mini charger and my guess is you'd be just fine.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
If whatever you used did not last for the ride in July, you will need a much larger power supply, say 1.2 gigawatts, to get you back in time to recapture the data you missed.

People were even late for thread dredge Thursday. :)

To the OP, I hope the ride went well. That is on my bucket list.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts