Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on FB and thought maybe the Lownge would have some (un)constructive criticism.

Do you "....."? because I have noticed that I "...." a lot. I find myself having to watch for excessive use of the "." in work emails. I wonder where I picked it up? Maybe it has something to do with my train of thought, and how I pause.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mean really, you have all the time in the world to write something (unless you are on a 5min internet addiction program). But you feel the need to put this pause.... for dramatic effect or what... really... that's gotta be it.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
I do. I know for me it's a questions of trying to translate the rhythm of the language to text. If we were speaking face to face it would be simple. Here, though, it requires the occasional ellipse.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
ellipsis is real live part of English

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I heart ...

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I totally thought this thread was about... something else.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i've been seeing it use more like a period to end a sentence lately. i use "..." but do so to cut off a thought/sentence. see weltyed's chicago thread for an example.

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
Yes, I like to ... and ... for hours at a time. I have often been known to ... more than once in a single evening.

What?

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
It's called an ellipsis. I use them a lot in posts/emails, etc, because sometimes a normal period makes the sentence feel too curt.

And of course I use them when I'm quoting someone and omitting part of what they say.

Don't think I ever use them for proper written correspondence.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
tomk96 said:
i've been seeing it use more like a period to end a sentence lately. i use "..." but do so to cut off a thought/sentence. see weltyed's chicago thread for an example.
The one that he hasn't gotten stickied yet? I can't find it ...

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Marc said:
T0G is still using...Windows95?
No sir, but I still have the American Heritage Dictionary on any machine it will still run on. BTW, I bought that program independently, PRE win 95!

·
9,790 Posts
As others have mentioned, I use ellipses for pauses in speech and in quotes where I've removed words. I also use them in incomplete sentences, as a period or other punctuation on a sentence fragment would be wrong. Like this...

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
Using "...." as a pause is not an ellipsis. You would use an ellipsis when you are quoting someone and cutting out all of the unnecessary stuff. For example:

DrRoebuck said:
....I use them a lot in posts/emails, etc, because sometimes a normal period ....
Otherwise...... yeah.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts