Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through my TdF pictures today from 2010. At stage 8 to Morzine Avoriaz, I stayed the night before in Geneva. It was pure coincidence, but the Milram, Cofidis, and Radio Shack team were staying there. I took lots of pictures in the parking lot the morning of the stage, but just saw this picture. It was a camper that was silver and on the door it said Johan Bruyneel Sports Management on the door. I paid little attention to it other than the fact I knew it wasn't in the lot the night before because it was actually blocking my car in the next morning. As I waited for the camper to move, I noticed several riders coming and going from the camper after breakfast. Not speculating anything, but why would the riders want to go in this little camper when the huge and comfortable team bus was just behind it? Never even struck me as odd at the time, but with all that has come out... View attachment 280762

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's all about marginal gains - all the maginal gains for the next days racing get discussed in the marginal gains camper van!

On a serious point though that's a good photo and a neat question.

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
How much time do riders have after breakfast and before the start of a stage? I bet it was rushed. Imagine the awkward moments when one rider patiently waited outside of the "dope mobile" only to see an opponent emerge!

·
Make America grope again
4,754 Posts
That's an ugly office building in the background. Like butt ugly.
I thought all European architecture was fabulous. But here is a crappy little strip window box.

Sorry. Got distracted.

Wait? The peloton didn't all get sober in 2006?

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much time do riders have after breakfast and before the start of a stage? I bet it was rushed. Imagine the awkward moments when one rider patiently waited outside of the "dope mobile" only to see an opponent emerge!
We were downstairs around 0630, and it was mostly the support guys eating. The riders filtered in, but they didn't have a formal team meal. The only common thread between all of the riders was they all hit the Espresso machine hard. Brajkovic had about three in 15 minutes. I also noticed none of the riders ate from the breakfast bar that was out in the hotel, even though it was amazing. They all had the soigneurs bring a plastic tub that had their breakfast food in it. There was one for each rider. They had their names on the tubs. I never saw Lance that morning. We actually weren't supposed to be in the dining room for breakfast but didn't know it. We had Livestrong tshirts on, so when we went in and spoke English (American) nobody said anything to us. It wasn't until we left and tried to pay for the breakfast that we were told that "tour staff eat free too". We quickly exited back to the room needless to say. As much as I wanted to bust the camera out at breakfast, I also didn't want to be the annoying fan to riders who were facing a tough day in a Grand Tour. I got plenty of good shots later in the day. From what I could see the soigneurs had a hectic morning, but the staff and riders were pretty relaxed.

·
Registered
331 Posts
We were downstairs around 0630, and it was mostly the support guys eating. The riders filtered in, but they didn't have a formal team meal. The only common thread between all of the riders was they all hit the Espresso machine hard. Brajkovic had about three in 15 minutes. I also noticed none of the riders ate from the breakfast bar that was out in the hotel, even though it was amazing. They all had the soigneurs bring a plastic tub that had their breakfast food in it. There was one for each rider. They had their names on the tubs. I never saw Lance that morning. We actually weren't supposed to be in the dining room for breakfast but didn't know it. We had Livestrong tshirts on, so when we went in and spoke English (American) nobody said anything to us. It wasn't until we left and tried to pay for the breakfast that we were told that "tour staff eat free too". We quickly exited back to the room needless to say. As much as I wanted to bust the camera out at breakfast, I also didn't want to be the annoying fan to riders who were facing a tough day in a Grand Tour. I got plenty of good shots later in the day. From what I could see the soigneurs had a hectic morning, but the staff and riders were pretty relaxed.
So you admit to being a breakfast bill cheater--when will it end

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Maybe the riders go into that van to take a dump, not to dope, so they don't stink up the team bus. So maybe it's a dump mobile. I would re-title this thread, "The dump mobile" because my theory is just as plausible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.