Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working hard this summer to drive less. It's been pretty awesome, if a little sweaty. My wife is even starting to ride more- she bike commuted twice this week, even though that means she's got to pull the trailer with our daughter up the hill home, the hardest led of the trip. But I've driven less than 3000 miles this year so far and that includes a long drive to Michigan and back for vacation. I'm getting about a month to a tank of gas.

There has been one downside- I've found that all this short distance riding pulling 50+ pounds of trailer leaves me very much mentally drained for going out for long solo rides on the weekend. Even though pulling a trailer has made me a whole lot stronger this year, I'm less inclined to use that strength. Booooooo.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
do you have any other motivations for commuting to work other than saving gas? do you race? perhaps there is motivation there.

I too find solo rides boring and find at times I don't enjoy it AS much as I do when I'm with friends. What about hooking up with some friends or a local bike group?

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
c-lo said:
do you have any other motivations for commuting to work other than saving gas? do you race? perhaps there is motivation there.

I too find solo rides boring and find at times I don't enjoy it AS much as I do when I'm with friends. What about hooking up with some friends or a local bike group?
My big motivation for commuting to work is that since we had our daughter, I don't have a whole lot of time to ride, so riding to work is sometimes the only riding I get. Plus I really enjoy it- it's a great way to start and end the day. The ecological benefits are just the icing on the cake. The other benefit for me is showing my daughter that bikes are a perfectly valid method of transport.

I don't race and really don't want to. Not a huge fan of riding with other people either. Most group rides around here are populated with racers, and there's not a whole lot of fun in that for me.

I think yer right though, I may have to find some people to ride with.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I've encountered a similar issue. I still have the motivation to ride on weekends, but find that my legs are kind of shot for fast Saturday morning rides if I ride a lot during the week. My solution is to ride easy recovery pace on Thursdays-Fridays, or take that as my day off commuting when possible. Often I end up just suffering through my Saturday rides with my friends, or riding on Sundays instead.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
c-lo said:
maybe break it up too with some other fun outdoor activity?
Or with some other kind of riding? If you don't want to do group rides, and don't feel motivated for long solo rides, try some short intense ones? Find a nasty hill and do repeats? Measure out a 10-mile time trial course and test yourself against it on the weekend?

Just don't take up golf. We can forgive almost anything else ;-)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
I've encountered a similar issue. I still have the motivation to ride on weekends, but find that my legs are kind of shot for fast Saturday morning rides if I ride a lot during the week. My solution is to ride easy recovery pace on Thursdays-Fridays, or take that as my day off commuting when possible. Often I end up just suffering through my Saturday rides with my friends, or riding on Sundays instead.

this sounds like it could be a diet issue. I had a similar issue until I added more green veggies and other good carb sources to my diet. Once I did that recovery was no longer an issue.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wooglin said:
If I have to put a bike on the car, chances are really good it's just not going to happen.

Mtn biking has really fallen off for me. Used to go every weekend and a couple nights a week, but lately, driving an hour to go ride for an hour and then driving back for an hour seems kinda lame when I could just ride out of my driveway and get 2 hours of riding... which I'm not doing because I'm kinda burnt out...

Maybe what I need to do is convince my wife to come with me to blue mounds- there's a pool where she and my daughter could hang out while I ride the trails. Then the hour and a half of driving doesn't feel like such a waste...

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rockcrusher said:
singlespeed mountain bike on the weekend. Good workout, shorter duration ride and new skills to learn.
Had that same idea a couple years ago. I cannot tell you how much I hated singlespeed Mountain biking...:D

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
how old is your daughter?

buck-50 said:
If I have to put a bike on the car, chances are really good it's just not going to happen.

Mtn biking has really fallen off for me. Used to go every weekend and a couple nights a week, but lately, driving an hour to go ride for an hour and then driving back for an hour seems kinda lame when I could just ride out of my driveway and get 2 hours of riding... which I'm not doing because I'm kinda burnt out...

Maybe what I need to do is convince my wife to come with me to blue mounds- there's a pool where she and my daughter could hang out while I ride the trails. Then the hour and a half of driving doesn't feel like such a waste...

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
c-lo said:
how old is your daughter?
Man, there is no way to ask that on the internet without sounding creepy...:D

She's almost 3. If she's good tonight, she'll be getting her first big girl bike on saturday.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Funny, I singlespeed road ride since flipping the fixie hub. Feels perfectly normal, and is surprisingly able to climb.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
yup

Slim Again said:
Same here. My commutes have gotten me tuned into 10-mile rides!
After 4 years of commuting 13 miles each way in the city, I've become very good at sprinting from 20-30 mph to make lights, 0-20 mph accelleration, and holding a nice pace for 1/2 mile at a time, then repeating after 60 seconds rest.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fixed said:
After 4 years of commuting 13 miles each way in the city, I've become very good at sprinting from 20-30 mph to make lights, 0-20 mph accelleration, and holding a nice pace for 1/2 mile at a time, then repeating after 60 seconds rest.
Yeah, I've got that stuff down pat...

now I just don't feel like riding the rest of the time. :cryin:

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
The very same thing happened to me when I was commuting 15+ miles each way every day. During that time, I would normally only take a relatively short ride one day on the weekend. Accumulated fatigue was another issue for me. Personally, I never found a fix for it really. I would sometimes not ride on a Friday to build up the ganas to ride on the weekend. Forcing myself to ride even more tended to backfire for me.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
tired?

buck-50 said:
Yeah, I've got that stuff down pat...

now I just don't feel like riding the rest of the time. :cryin:
You might be just plain old tired.

On weekends, I ride a different bike and get up into the mountains, a completely different environment. Kind of refreshing. Helps to have a goal, something you *need* endurance training for, also.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts