Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But 210 is like a freaking wall. I'm exercising more, I'm eating both healthier and less and I keep bouncing off the wall at 210. And I've adjusted my calorie intake and exercise to account for the fact that I now need less calories and that I have to work slightly harder to burn the same amount of calories.

I swear to god I'm gonna put a video camera in the kitchen to see if I'm eating when I sleep.
 

·
corning my own beef
Joined
·
5,713 Posts
I remember 210!


I was 17yrs old at the time.

good luck with continued progress
 

·
Bacon!
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
Are you breaking your calories into 5 to 6 small meals? That can make a big difference. What are you eating before you go to bed? Try eating at least a couple of hours before you hit the sack and try to eat any carbs like pasta in the meal before your last meal. Any carbs in the last meal of the day should come from veggies.
 

·
Mehpic
Joined
·
8,162 Posts
stuck at 215. i've even cut out lunch and breakfast is minimal. dinners arent that big either- i'm pretty sure i'm eating less than my 3 year old.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ridgetop said:
Are you breaking your calories into 5 to 6 small meals? That can make a big difference. What are you eating before you go to bed? Try eating at least a couple of hours before you hit the sack and try to eat any carbs like pasta in the meal before your last meal. Any carbs in the last meal of the day should come from veggies.
I eat dinner at 5:30-6:30 or so, and unless I've earned myself a beer that day, that's the last calories that go into my system for the day.
 

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
Joined
·
21,050 Posts
try limiting your meals to no more than 300 calories, and eat every couple hours. drink lots of water. lift more.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haiku d'etat said:
try limiting your meals to no more than 300 calories, and eat every couple hours. drink lots of water. lift more.
If I drink any more water I'm going to need gills. :D
 

·
I ride in circles..
Joined
·
4,645 Posts
I used to weight over 230.. near 250. I'm not down to 170. It's take 3 years of cycling and swimming and better dieting to get there. Now that I've at 170 I've found is extremely difficult to lose more weight. I want to lose more though.. I wanna be faster.


Good luck with your continued weight loss!
 

·
Still On Steel
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Keep after it. Last August (2009) I was at 242, got down to 168-170 in ten months.

My wall was at around the 200 level. Got stuck there for the better part of a month. However this coincided with Christmas and New Year's, so it wasn't totally unexpected.
 

·
Non non normal
Joined
·
10,097 Posts
How long have you been at the same weight?

There might be a couple of reasons. First, every spring I increase my riding while decreasing my calories. I lose 10 pounds pretty fast and then get stuck for several weeks. My theory is that my body is burning fat to build muscles for riding. I can see my fat shrinking but there is no difference on the scale. After several weeks when I get in riding form, the weight starts flying off if I keep my calories restricted.

Second reason might be you are eating more than you think. Write down everything you eat, what quantity and how many calories.
 

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
Joined
·
21,050 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
I used to weight over 230.. near 250. I'm not down to 170. It's take 3 years of cycling and swimming and better dieting to get there. Now that I've at 170 I've found is extremely difficult to lose more weight. I want to lose more though.. I wanna be faster.


Good luck with your continued weight loss!
OTOH, my metabolism (almost 39 YOA) is jump-started and i'm having to eat extra to stay betwen 170 and 175 (down from 225 earlier this year). guess with working out and the eating having become habitual, modification is necessary to stop losing weight. 170ish seems healthy enough for me with strength and power, and i'm working on the cardio endurance.

thankfully i still enjoy pizza and wings. that helps a bunch.
 

·
Gronk SMASH!
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
How much are you exercising?

It's possible you might not be eating enough.

At your weight, with daily vigorous exercise, you probably need 2400 calories or more.

If you're not eating enough, your body will go into starvation mode and stop burning as many excess calories.

Like Haiku said, eat several smaller meals and eat healthy, but try to make sure you're eating enough.

Disclaimer: I am neither a doctor or nutritionist. I am basically parroting stuff that was told to me and has worked for me while doing P90x.
 

·
still shedding season
Joined
·
8,849 Posts
bigrider said:
How long have you been at the same weight?
Good question. I was pushing deuce-and-a-half a few years ago and took care of that problem. Took awhile, and I'd get "stuck" at a weight for awhile before more came off. I think it's pretty common, but keep doing what you're doing and it'll shake loose.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bigrider said:
How long have you been at the same weight?

There might be a couple of reasons. First, every spring I increase my riding while decreasing my calories. I lose 10 pounds pretty fast and then get stuck for several weeks. My theory is that my body is burning fat to build muscles for riding. I can see my fat shrinking but there is no difference on the scale. After several weeks when I get in riding form, the weight starts flying off if I keep my calories restricted.

Second reason might be you are eating more than you think. Write down everything you eat, what quantity and how many calories.
It's only been 2 or 3 weeks or so- it's not bad, it's just that from 230-210 was sooooo easy.

I just want to get back to 195, which is my comfortable light weight. Anything lower is harder to maintain than I'd like.

I was there then we had a kid and I put on 30 pounds over 2 and a half years, slowly eating more than I needed, exercising less, etc. So, now I log every calorie (there's an app for that!) in, as well as calories burnt during exercise, etc.

So, yeah, I need to switch things up. Weather is getting cooler again, so maybe I'll start running a couple times a week.
 

·
It's not TOO Cold!
Joined
·
2,498 Posts
I've heard that if you stop drinking beer you can lose weight. I think that is a UN conspiracy to take away our freedom.

Add some body weight exercises to your normal day, push-ups and 1 legged squats in the office. Sure your cow-irkers will think you are wierder, but who cares.

Good Luck and keep at it!
 

·
It's not TOO Cold!
Joined
·
2,498 Posts
yeah double post
 

·
Non non normal
Joined
·
10,097 Posts
buck-50 said:
It's only been 2 or 3 weeks or so- it's not bad, it's just that from 230-210 was sooooo easy.

I just want to get back to 195, which is my comfortable light weight. Anything lower is harder to maintain than I'd like.

I was there then we had a kid and I put on 30 pounds over 2 and a half years, slowly eating more than I needed, exercising less, etc. So, now I log every calorie (there's an app for that!) in, as well as calories burnt during exercise, etc.

So, yeah, I need to switch things up. Weather is getting cooler again, so maybe I'll start running a couple times a week.

You lost all the easy weight. Weight loss naturally slows down as you approach your goal weight. Don't expect to lose more than a pound a week on the last fifteen after you get loose from being hung up on 210. Don't get impatient.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top