Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

We are preparing for the Death Ride in July. My wife, myself, and three other friends were lucky enough to be able to get tickets through the lottery. In order to train for it we have been selecting harder and harder rides each weekend to really work up the climbing. I'm luck enough to be able to ride to Tahoe from my house and have really been taking advantage of this. On Saturday we decided to ride what we call the Purgatory Ride. Basically, this is four passes that consist of starting at the base of Kingsbury Grade, riding up and over Dagget Pass to drop into Tahoe where we take Pioneer Trail around to Highway 89, go up and over Luther Pass, and then drop down to Hope Meadows where we then climb up to Carson Pass and drop down to Caples Lake. From Caples Lake we climb back up and over Carson Pass to drop down into the Carson Valley and back to the start. In short, this is not a long ride miles wise (about 79) but has many thousands of feet of climb. I was pretty much wiped out by the combination of hot temperatures and constant uphills. But boy was it worth it. The pictures are in order from the beginning to the end. I also attached a map to show people where we went. It really is an awesome ride. I won't bore you with any more words. Enjoy the pics.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Continuing on From Carson Pass

Where I felt I should be by the end. . .

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
As much as I love east coast riding.

You just can't beat the western states for long climbs and peak elevations.

We are going to have to think about getting out there again.

Soon.

BTW we got married at Lake Tahoe and did OATBRAN on the tandem for our honeymoon. The day before our wedding we went out and pretty much did your exact ride. Sure took the edge off my pre wedding jitters.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On a tandem? Boy, you guys must really have wanted to be nice and relaxed for that wedding. Wow! I've never seen a tandem doing that much up there but see them once in a while on just one pass or another. I bet you guys were screaming down the back sides. I've been passed on the downhills by tandems there and I was doing 45mph.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way MB, if you ever come out this way we'd love to ride with you. If your lookin' for a place to stay we have a new home being built in Reno that is supposed to be ready by end of August this year. Lots of room and lots of places to ride.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am always impressed by the amount of Harley's that go cruising by us there. The one pic I took didn't really do the numbers justice. There must have been a hundred motorcycles going by. Sounded like a jet fighter squadron coming up the hill. Every one of them was waving as they went by. Pretty cool but a bit noisey.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Cool. Exactly what I was looking for!

The first week of August I am going to be camping with my husband's family at Silver Lake, the one just downhill and west of Caples Lake. I was hoping to put together just such a ride. Did you do the loop clockwise or counter clockwise? Which would you recommend?

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From Silvert Lake

If I were going to ride from Silver Lake I'd go the following route:

First, start at Caples Lake. A little easier on the body and mind. Ride it counterclockwise going up and over Carson Pass and descending on 88 all the way down to the Carson Valley and then climb back up and over Kingsbury (Dagget) Grade. It'll force you to get the largest downhill out of the way first (I usually don't like that myself) but you'll be less of a car magnet due to your speed on the narrow Carson River Canyon. Also, this will bring you into Tahoe about lunch time depending on what time you start and you can eat at South Lake. One note, there is no water between Woodfords and Tahoe. Make sure to top off your water supply at the Woodsford Store. It is an extremely dry run until you hit South Lake. If you see some nice people out working in their yards before the Kingsbury climb you could always ask to borrow their hose I guess, but otherwise pack a lot of H2O. It's a fantastic ride. Enjoy!

Here's the Routeslip map. You can zoom in to see the specifics.
http://www.routeslip.com/map.php?map=1627

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Thanks for the beta.

I just might convince my son or my husband to sag for me. It would solve the water issue...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.