Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got everything together on my Mootour; the last items were the DT-Swiss rims with Campy hubs, 32 spokes and Rivendell Rolly-Poly 28c tires. The ride is amazing, everything I wished for: responsive (with the YBB locked out), very good road feel, fast, great cornering, great stability. Here is what it looks like:

I was planning to do a really long ride, perhaps getting to a town called Ybbs (not kidding), taking a photo with bike under the town sign and sending it to Moots. But as soon as I saw the Danube I knew there would be trouble:

How a river that size can flood within two days (when I last saw it) is beyond me. But sure enough, a few miles later, the bikepath was flooded:

It had been windy so far, but now it started to rain as well. I decided to head into the mountains. They begin in Klosterneuburg with gradients like this:

Although it was raining quite heavily, I was passed by a lot of riders, and when more than one of them passed me twice, I and began to realize that this is where they train climbing. The ascent is incredibly steep (the road sign indicates 18%), but that is hard to photograph:

To my eternal shame and horror I have to confess I didn't make it to the top without stopping. I had grabbed the wheel of another rider who was much too fast for me, and then I couldn't see the end of the climb and panicked and got off the bike. With a slower initial pace I would have made it.
Once you're on the ridge, it looks like this--by this time it was raining hard and blowing strong and I was in a really bad mood.

After a few miles there was a spectacular descent back into the Danube valley, beautiful switchbacks in a cathedral-like forest. It was too wet to really let loose, but the 5 miles through the forest were magical. At the end of the descent I popped a caffeinated power bar, and headed back up to redeem myself--without any other problems than the burning I still feel in my legs.

So it wasn't a real test for the Moots, but I couldn't be more pleased with the performance so far. The weather here is so bad that they're canceling mountain races because of snow; as soon as I get a sunny day and I can get away, I'll put in a long day and give a more precise review.

· BS the DC
1,426 Posts
How does the bike ride with the YBB unlocked?

· Registered
369 Posts
Thanks for the views. The end-on shot of the switchback with roadway going both uphill and downhill is a good way to display steepness.

Do you have any secrets for taking rainy day shots without showing raindrops on your lense in the photos? Do you wait and shoot during a letup in the shower, have a good visor devised or a super-secret method that requires multiple layers of clearance before you are allowed to divulge :wink5:

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've ridden the bike only twice with the YBB unlocked--it's an unreal feeling, you feel it eating up every road imperfection that you've just noticed through the fork. Not sure whether I really feel a loss of power. Somehow I'm training myself to open it up only in cases of fatigue or really bad roads.
I was just lucky not to have raindrops on the lense. The weather was really horrible (of course now, a few hours later, it's perfect). I'm always disappointed by my photos, mostly because my idol is MB1.

· BS the DC
1,426 Posts
Beethoven said:
I've ridden the bike only twice with the YBB unlocked--it's an unreal feeling, you feel it eating up every road imperfection that you've just noticed through the fork. Not sure whether I really feel a loss of power. Somehow I'm training myself to open it up only in cases of fatigue or really bad roads.
I was just lucky not to have raindrops on the lense. The weather was really horrible (of course now, a few hours later, it's perfect). I'm always disappointed by my photos, mostly because my idol is MB1.
If I understand right, you don't like the YBB much. You prefer it locked out. It sounds like it's imbalanced. You get a big thud through the fork to the handlebar, and then nothing from behind. That does sound unreal.

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, no. I like the YBB a lot. I just don't want to get used to it being unlocked as the normal state of riding. Partly because it want to get as much power out of the bike as long as the roads aren't too bad, partly because it messes with a few specs, like saddle height, saddle balance, even your shorts. It has almost 2cm travel, that's lots. I open it up when I'm tired or when the roads get really bumpy. I'm really glad I got it.

· N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
more MooTour

Moots doesn't have much info about the MooTour on their website - What else can you tell us? Does it accommodate front and rear panniers on traditional racks? Does the YBB affect rear rack installation? Did you use standard reach brake calipers and what max tire size do you expect it would allow? Do you plan to ever use panniers? Is titanium a suitable frame material for loaded touring?

Sorry to bombard you with questions. I've developed a fascination with versatile road bikes. There aren't many options, and I'm curious about Ti...

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Believe me, I've searched high and low for the most versatile bike, and wouldn't have dropped that much coin (MooTour is custom only) if I didn't think this is the best bike you can buy. As you can see, the clearances are very wide. I added Shimano long reach caliper breaks, which should allow me to run 32'+ tires If I want. The 28' Rivendells at 90 psi are perfect, though. The fork came with eyelets for a front pannier, and I'm certain you can add back panniers as well, and of course fenders. The YBB would not interfere with that. I believe (although this is subjective) that a locked out YBB makes the seat stays slightly stiffer than the usual configuration. The entire bike is very solid indeed, without being clunky. Indescribable road feel.
Loaded touring is not, I think, in my future--I rather go on supported tours with long distances. I have a Moots Tailgator bag which would hold, perhaps, one other set of clothes for a night's stay and return.
Went back yesterday to try the climb again. Once you know how long it is, it's a different ballgame. It's still very tough, though. Pictures soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.