Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a free post purchase maintenance on my new bike a couple of days ago and on my first ride today, I noticed the front brake pad was dragging on the rim. I didn't want to go home after only 1 mile so I kept riding with the hissing noise from the pad. I came home after the 19 mile ride and took the front brake off and noticed that the spring was missing. Do you think the store will give me a new one for free? How much do they cost? Are they universal? My brake calipers are generic and don't have any logos. It is a dual-pivot style. Should I just go to a closer shop and buy one? The shop I bought the bike from is kind of far....30 minute drive.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
That is an important piece of safety equip

edhchoe said:
I had a free post purchase maintenance on my new bike a couple of days ago and on my first ride today, I noticed the front brake pad was dragging on the rim. I didn't want to go home after only 1 mile so I kept riding with the hissing noise from the pad. I came home after the 19 mile ride and took the front brake off and noticed that the spring was missing. Do you think the store will give me a new one for free? How much do they cost? Are they universal? My brake calipers are generic and don't have any logos. It is a dual-pivot style. Should I just go to a closer shop and buy one? The shop I bought the bike from is kind of far....30 minute drive.
Since you did not do any maint. work on the bike and the shop did, call them up and ask what work they did on your bike at the tune up and then ask if they noticed the front brake problem. PLAY DUMB! This should have been part of the tune up inspection, IME. for them to miss that tells me you got nothing for nothing.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I went in for the service they asked me if there were any particular problems with the bike. I told them the front brake often rotates on the attachment point and one pad stays on the rim. I thought they knew what they were doing but now the spring popped off on my first ride but I don't know when it happened.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
are you sure the spring isn't still there? it can "unhinge" from its contact point on the caliper "arm" fairly easily when not compressed by a brake cable, but the spring itself is usually routed through a central groove that would make it almost impossible to fall out.

make sure to compare the front with the rear to see what bits may in fact be missing. It could just be a little plastic slip on piece that helps secure the spring arm or it could be a plastic piece on the caliper that broke.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
It didn't just fall out

edhchoe said:
The spring is not there. I compared the front caliper w/ the rear one and no other part is missing. The spring somehow fell out on the road.
The only way you can get the spring (intact) out of the brake is to disassemble the brake. If there really is no spring, then it must have broken at the center, allowing the two sides to fall out. If this is a new bike (less than a year old), the brake should be replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bike shop could not find a spring that would fit my caliper. They gave me a Shimano Sora unit and took the caliper from my bike to send it in for a warranty claim. I came home and just installed it on the bike and it is nice and tight. There is no more unnecessary free movement like the old unit and yet it is smooth as it should be. I am happy now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.