Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Took the one picture then stripped it down with the exception of the seat and bars so I can hang it from the ceiling while I build it. I haven’t gotten the cranks off yet. I guess I need a puller? The only square tapper I've dealt with are Campy with the self extracting bolts. Tomorrow I’l hit it with weigles, clean it up and take a bunch of pictures. Everything is in pretty good shape. The crest on the fork crowns is really a thing of beauty.
The Shimano was indexed for the rear. I’m tempted to go the synchro route.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Cool bike! What model is it? I have Syncro II on my 7 speed Athena Bianchi. There are a lot of Syncro haters out there but I've found it works fine (3 bikes with it). I wouldn't try it with a Shimano set up though. Get some Dura Ace or 600 indexed shifters.

Edit: saw your other thread - X4 - that will be a sweet ride. Enjoy the rebuild and post pics when done!

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Cool bike! What model is it? I have Syncro II on my 7 speed Athena Bianchi. There are a lot of Syncro haters out there but I've found it works fine (3 bikes with it). I wouldn't try it with a Shimano set up though. Get some Dura Ace or 600 indexed shifters.

Edit: saw your other thread - X4 - that will be a sweet ride. Enjoy the rebuild and post pics when done!
The bad Syncro rep started with the original which was trying to be too many things to too many different spacing and chain combos.

Syncro 2 is a completely different beast, and an excellent shifter for Campy 7 and 8 speed cassettes. It requires a compatible RD of course, which would rule out Shimano.

Campy maintained a 5 mm cog spacing in both 7 and 8 speed. Shimano had 5 mm spacing for their 7-spd freehubs but went to 4.8 mm with 8-spd.

Thus Syncro 2 with a Campy RD would be a OK choice for a 7-spd Shimano freehub but not 8-spd.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm wanting to go with the first edition as that's the correct vintage. I'll run C Record and I'd like to run 7sp.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I'm wanting to go with the first edition as that's the correct vintage. I'll run C Record and I'd like to run 7sp.
Your choice.

I have a Syncro 2 shifter with a later C Record RD on a 7-spd bike and it's wonderful. Not sure I would go with the earlier setup just for "correctness". What year are we taking about anyway?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bike itself is 86-87, actually it must be an 87 as it has the 86-87 world championship decal on the down tube. Any way the main thing is I'd like to ride it in L'Eroica. I know it's 87 and before for the bikes, not sure about components. That would be the only reason I'd want the 1st generation.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I took some pictures today. Sorry, I just think the thing is so cool. I know theres a lot of nice bikes, but as a Bianchi guy I think this one's one of the best.
Blue Green Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Teal Tire Wheel Green Automotive tire Bicycle accessory Green Teal Turquoise Gas Cylinder Blue Green Teal Turquoise Aqua Floor Flooring Composite material Metal Tool Blue Green Yellow Teal Line Logo Teal Paint Creative arts Cylinder Blue Yellow Green Bicycle accessory Teal Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Teal Bicycle frame Aqua Blue Green Yellow Teal Aqua Green Yellow Logo Teal Aqua Blue Green Teal Aqua Turquoise Blue Green Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Teal

Every time I look at it I am amazed how fragile the frame seems. I know that it's not. It just appears so. I was trying to capture the shaping of the forks and seat stays but they are hard to capture.
I'm having a hard time getting the drive side bottom bracket piece off.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I cringe when I see Shimano on a frame like that. You're going to need a solid fixed cup tool and may have to secure it in a bench vise to gain enough leverage.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree about the Shimano. Nothing too much against it, I'm just a Campyholic. As soon as I get the C Record head set The last of it will be gone. Hopefully I'll get a couple hundred for everything.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Some Bianchi expert might be able to help with the age, but the earliest must be 1988. They would not have been able to advertise an '87 WC win before '88 model year surely.

I wasn't sure the first year for Syncro 2, but Velobase says 1989. So, not out of line for that frame. VeloBase.com - Component: Campagnolo Syncro II, C-Record

This is what I have . I use a 9-speed chain on an otherwise all late C Record bike. Great shifting. Very precise and mechanical.

I reread your post about the maximum year of the bike for L'Eroica, which would imply you need an earlier frame and components and friction shifting?

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
That is gorgeous. Not long after yours Bianchi laid off the panto and limited to just the fork crown. Mine has stickers on the seat stay caps, BB top, etc. That's got the looks and it will be a great rider.

I have 1st gen 6 speed C Record on my '85 Merckx. That was originally spec'd with friction shifters, mine came with Dura Ace indexed shifters from the PO. It didn't shift that well and I put a set of Syncro 2 on there with red insert (technically should have done the yellow, but red is what I had) and it works and looks great. IMO a lot of the complaints people have about Syncro 2 can be mitigated by using a modern chain and a ramped freewheel. <== So yes you might have to sneak a Japanese part on there, I have a Dura Ace (maybe Suntour I forget) freewheel on mine.

This might come in handy for your Syncro adventures:

http://www.cadre.org/bike_stuff/Campagnolo/Shifters/Syncro Inserts/moresyncro.jpg

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I found this excellent description of Campy's attempts at indexed shifting in the late '80's.

My setup is from '92 or '93 when both the shifters and RD's had been redesigned. Campy's own nomenclature around the use of the "Syncro" name is extremely confusing as there are several different iterations with the same name. Almost a new version every year from '87 to '92.

The Retrogrouch: Campagnolo Derailleurs: Evolutionary Dead Ends

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
I cringe when I see Shimano on a frame like that. You're going to need a solid fixed cup tool and may have to secure it in a bench vise to gain enough leverage.
I completely agree. I'm more of a Shimano guy, but Campy is the way to go on that frame.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After struggling with it for 3 or 4 hours I brought it to a good local bike shop the owner mechanic is an ex professional racer. After taking a minute to set up the correct tool, it was off in 30 seconds.
While I was there he chased the BB shell and the derailleur hanger.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Beautiful bike.
Lightweight tubulars will let it come to life.
Campy or Shimano is OK, but please make it all silver - headset is an eyesore.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It was a good day today. I rode a Bianchi Nueva Racer back around 72, when I was 13. I adjusted stuff but never built so I had no idea regarding all the foolish thread standards. I bought a nice set of wheels with the C Record hubs but didn't really pay attention and when I received them I discovered the hub had French threads. In the mean time I found a Regina CX S 13-23 7 spd hub, from Russia of all places, for a reasonable price before I got the wheels. The freewheel came today and lo and behold it's French threads and it went right on. That's the good day.
I ordered a seat post a while back not paying attention to the description and when it showed up I discovered it was a 25 mm and too short. Other than that everything else has worked out well. I still need a spring washer for my derailleur hanger bolt though, but that's OK.
I continue to look for a crank, BB and pedals. Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork Bicycle wheel

1 - 20 of 40 Posts