Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
221 - 240 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use a clear low-foaming gel to shave with. It means i can see what im doing. The King of Shaves brand have quite a few styles. Dont go the 'cooling' route, it has menthol in it and can actually have the opposite effect. I use the sensitive skin type, with aloe vera. Works a charm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had this conversation recently with a 260 overweight guy with shaved legs who was arguing about how you had to shave your legs to bike 20-30 miles and would make you get there faster...

ended when I told him to loose some weight and stop eating mcdonalds after his rides.. that would make a much more dramatic difference.

·
hooligan21
200 Posts
Well I will give it a go by shaving for the first time as I'm new to the whole cycling thing, I have very hairy legs so it will take me for ever to master it, me wife is laughing her head off as she thinks is funny but let's see what happens hey.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm fairly hairless (facial shave once a month) so I shave with a straight razor, takes 30-45 min to do my face, smooth as glass, been doing it since I first shaved, father son/masculine tradition thing. Tried a patch on my calf...too many curves!!!! out came the electric, buzz buzz buzz and now I hope this lasts a month as well. Thanks for the advice.

·
hooligan21
200 Posts
I use the same razors for my face, well not the same blade, anyways I find the M5 from Costco is really good and a hell of a lot cheaper than the MAC3... Imop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been shaving my legs for years. Used Mach 3s before I went (cringe) to waxing and never looked back. The removal of hair came in handy on 26th October 2011 coz I crashed :yikes: during a bunch sprint in a local club race and lost loads of skin and broke my collarbone.:17:

I've been too raw to wax or shave since then however the nice lady that use to come to our house to do the waxing at a really reasonable cost has moved out of town and I ain't gonna let my wife unleash her sadistic tendancies on my legs so guess I'll go back to shaving. 100% with the thread starter on this though. In the bath with shaving foam and a good quality blade or three. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good tips in this in this forum. Thanks Funk for the tips and tricks! I have been shaving "all over" for about a year and won't go back to the caveman! Top reasons for shaving all over.....
1. Much cooler on hot days
2. I like it
3. GF likes it better than I do!
4. Legs and whole body just look better to me
5. I really dont care what anybody else thinks
6. Doesn't take that long anyway
7. I need all the help I can get on the fast group rides

·
Winner!
296 Posts
Shaving my legs? I don't think so, It took me a lot of courage just to get out of the house wearing tight bibs and now you are talking about shaving our legs!
Dude, as a Marine living on a Marine Corps base, I take a lot of flak for wearing tights and neon and riding a "skinny tire" bike.

But once i tell my brothers "i just came back from LA" they stop.

Don't ever let any one else's opinion guide your decisions;

ask your wife/husband/significant other if it would bother them. thats all that matters.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It might sound stupid and it may be because im 16 but i just find it more "manly" to not shave my legs haha. Maybe once i get really into biking i will understand but i dont at the moment. But hey if thats what you want to do go ahead. It just seems it would help at very high level racing only...

221 - 240 of 283 Posts