Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my contact The Wife to see what i wanted for my birthday. i said the area water and soil conservation place sold some up-cycled rainbarrels i would like. The Wife told my mom.
my mom emailed The Wife a link to a rain barrel she was gonna get. The Wife showed me the link. i didnt really like it. plus it held less, cost much more, wasnt recycled, and the proceeds didnt go to the water and soil conservation.
"well, what do you want me to tell her? i dont want her to know i told you she was lokking at that."
"tell her i want the one from the local soil and water conservation group. it costs less, is up cycled, holds more, and i can do a local pick up.

last night took The Kid to the library and they had a barrel on display. it was really nice. nicer than i thought.

i get home today and there is a big box at the door. my birthday gift. the rain barrel my mom linked to. the one i didnt want. The Wife never told my mom about the local one.

so i try to have an open mind. but i pull the thing out and see:
- the top mesh is more open, so bugs can thrive
- it definitely doesnt hold as much
- no daisy chain valve (i could buy and install i guess)
- NO OVERFLOW VALVE

that last one gets me. the rain barrle is designed to sit flych with the house. without the overflow valve, any excess water will pour out right against the houses foundation. i could install one, but then im looking at spending some cash and drilling into the thing. the thing i dnt really want.

what should i do? it would cost a lot to send it back, and my mom would probably get hurt feelings.

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,457 Posts
Send it back, or CL it. Get the one you want. If your mom notices, explain.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Keep it if it too much of a pain to send back and then do some southern engineering. Of course be sure to yell at your wife......or not.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
+1 :thumbsup: You can make it work and while rainbarrels are replaceable, mom's feelings aren't.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
that story sounds like every single one of my childhood Christmases.

I'll tell you what my Dad told me, between refilling his tumbler of Smirnoff:
"htfu. Santa hates you anyway."

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
brujenn said:
Send it back, or CL it. Get the one you want. If your mom notices, explain.
Pretty much the same here. Look, you're all adults, it shouldn't be so stressful to send a barrel back and get the one you want. It isn't like you have to tell your mother anyway. And what are the chances that she'll notice any difference between the one she ordered and the one you want? She'll probably look at the one you want and not even notice it.

·
hit it
4,006 Posts
wayneanneli said:
And what are the chances that she'll notice any difference between the one she ordered and the one you want? She'll probably look at the one you want and not even notice it.
BAM!! She'll probably see it in use and not even realize that it isn't the one she got you.

/// My mom is the same way about gifts.

·
Hermia commutes
1,496 Posts
craigs list, then get the one you want. no need to say anything to your mom, although I'm not sure how hard it would have been for your wife to tell her, "oh no, he really wanted the one from X." She could even have commented on your weirdness. Everyone would have been happy.

In the meantime, craigslist the one you have, take the money and get the one you want.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mom will notice. she got this one because "it looks like real barrel." uh, no. it doesnt.

i will probably just keep it.

here is what i got:

here is what i wanted (but i want the terra cotta color) and where i wanted it from.

notice the difference in price and volume. also, the one i got basically just has a square cut out of the top with insect screen screwed on over it. this is what the one i want has:

its like your mom told your wife she was gonna get you a bike. you want a milwaukee cycles orange one, but your mom got you the trek sora-equipped discovery edition 1200.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Hey, she's your mom. She's just lookin' out for the neighbors and all. Gotta keep up appearances and property values. Course, here's a secret birdseye Google view of weltyed's house. Where's the rain barrel goin' to go?

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
I don't understand what the problem with honesty is? Your posting about your family keeps running into that fundamental issue from what I can recall.

I'm in agreement with everyone else, get what you want.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Honesty is not the issue. Hurt feelings is the issue. Over what, a birthday gift that's just a little off the mark? Better to say thank you and make mom glad she finally figured out a gift he wanted and could use. Next time she'll throw up her hands because that son of hers is too hard to buy for. She'll fret about what to get him and think it's never going to be what he wants. Sometimes it's best to be the good son. In the long run you feel better for it.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been the good son for nearly 35years now. kinda makes me wanna say something.

When it comes down to it, I'm just not that good at receiving gifts. Or praise.

·
Old enough to know better
720 Posts
swap it out IMO. IF she asks explain to her why you swapped it. Dont bring it up unless she does.
It will eat away at you every time you look at it.

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,457 Posts
This one

HevyHittr said:
Right now you're +1 at no cost. Keep it, keep mom happy. Go buy the one you really want and then you have 2. Mint!
You have more than one downspout? Put mom's by the front door, and yours under the d.s. that handles the greatest roof area.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts