Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... looking for insight.

Some really good friends of ours are having a baby (due in a month), and they asked my wife and I to be the godparents. We said yes of course, and now I'm wondering what I've said yes to.

I understand that the main purpose is that we would take care of the fella if his parents died, but is there more? I've been looking around online, and it seems to run all the way from 'just a formality' to 'it's like being a second set of parents all the time'..

Are any of you godparents? If so, what do you do... do you play a role in the kid's life any more than a relative, or a friend?

Don't get me wrong, I'm want to be a big part of the life of this guy, but I would just like some thoughts on what could be expected.

I'll talk to them soon about what they think, but for now it's in your court.

Thanks!

·
Pixie Sticks and Politics
716 Posts
I am a godparent. Just be there for them for the big things (i.e birthdays, Christmas, graduations, sickness, etc.) I also stop by and call regularly. Just be a part of their lives, that's all they want. Have fun!

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
VictoriaJujitsu said:
Hey guys... looking for insight.

Some really good friends of ours are having a baby (due in a month), and they asked my wife and I to be the godparents. We said yes of course, and now I'm wondering what I've said yes to.

I understand that the main purpose is that we would take care of the fella if his parents died, but is there more? I've been looking around online, and it seems to run all the way from 'just a formality' to 'it's like being a second set of parents all the time'..

Are any of you godparents? If so, what do you do... do you play a role in the kid's life any more than a relative, or a friend?

Don't get me wrong, I'm want to be a big part of the life of this guy, but I would just like some thoughts on what could be expected.

I'll talk to them soon about what they think, but for now it's in your court.

Thanks!
Yeah I think that taking over in the event of the parent's death is one thing, but how often does that happen? What are the odds? I think it's just that the parents trust you and want you to be part of the kid's life. Don't get too worked up about legal stuff unless they make you sign something.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
this is hilarious... in so many ways. I won't say why.

The "practice" of Godparents is an ancient tradition, basically rooted to the early days of Christianity where infant and maternal mortality was quite high. There was belief and practice that if one was not baptized they could not go to heaven.. you know the whole original sin thing. Anyway, often the mother an father could not be present as the babies were often baptized within days or even hours. ... so someone would stand in for them as a sponsor per se, and it has trickled down.

Any more, the only thing you will be asked to do is to help the parents raise the child in a Catholic way... and stand up in the ceremony, light a candle, and say a couple of "I dos". All you have to be is Catholic, baptized and confirmed.... and honestly there only has to be one godparent, and the rest are just witnesses. In fact there can be two guys, two gals, etc etc.. .and only one of them has to meet the above requirement.

Other than that there is no legal ramification whatsoever.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as I can tell there are no religious expectations.. seems like nowadays most people see it as a social responsibility rather than catholic.

I'm not worried about legalities, but more in the personal side of things...

Thanks for the input, this should be fun!

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
VictoriaJujitsu said:
As far as I can tell there are no religious expectations.. seems like nowadays most people see it as a social responsibility rather than catholic.

I'm not worried about legalities, but more in the personal side of things...

Thanks for the input, this should be fun!
proper societal norms say you should be prepared to **accept the offer** from the parents, as a godfather, to adopt the kid/s if they are out of the picture. this is the understanding from which i agreed to be a godfather three times over. and i also have a nephew, for whom i'm not a godfather, but would do the same. be prepared for that.

also: my godfather was more of a friend of my maternal g'parents, and i have zero contact with him now. in fact, zero contact in about 20 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts