Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I am fairly new to cycling and I would like to know what kind of speeds I should be avg. Is an avg of 20 mph fast or should I start looking into 25 mph. This is while riding by myself on a non tri-aero bike. At what level should I be riding at by myself, and what kind of speeds can I assume to ride while in a race (ps if you've read Rumm_Runner1 posts before, this profile is for a few people so don't hold what someone else said against me, I guess I should make my own profile, but this one works for now.)

Also as a new member to cycling I am starting to have somewhat of a god complex on the bike. I am really starting to think I'm the best, and I've noticed that some other cyclists sort of feel the same way. I don't know maybe its just me being young and not really knowing. If you guys feel the same way tell me. I would really like to know if we all think we're gods.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rum_Runner1 said:
First of all I am fairly new to cycling and I would like to know what kind of speeds I should be avg. Is an avg of 20 mph fast or should I start looking into 25 mph. This is while riding by myself on a non tri-aero bike. At what level should I be riding at by myself, and what kind of speeds can I assume to ride while in a race (ps if you've read Rumm_Runner1 posts before, this profile is for a few people so don't hold what someone else said against me, I guess I should make my own profile, but this one works for now.)

Also as a new member to cycling I am starting to have somewhat of a god complex on the bike. I am really starting to think I'm the best, and I've noticed that some other cyclists sort of feel the same way. I don't know maybe its just me being young and not really knowing. If you guys feel the same way tell me. I would really like to know if we all think we're gods.

GOD? Wow thats really cocky. If you were God-like, I would suggest trying out for a team or something and move from there.

From what I have observed, cycling is not about just PURE SPEED, there is some technique to it, such as drafting and when to pick and choose to take over.

Fast is all relative in comparison to who you're with. The guys doing the tour of California covered 80.2 miles in about 5 hours. Thats an average of 16 miles an hour. However, these guys are climbing elevation changes of up to 500 feet. If you can pull 20 MPH on the roads these guys are doing, I might have to consider you God, because youd be done an hour before the next guy and probably about 16 miles ahead of them.

David

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,410 Posts
Grasshopper, you need to test yourself on a 3 mile TT course. If you can hold 30 mph, you will truely be one of the gods.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Grasshopper, you need to test yourself on a 3 mile TT course. If you can hold 30 mph, you will truely be one of the gods.
Yep, and NO tailwind cheating! Hold 30mph/3mile TT on a dead calm day. ;)

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Rum_Runner1 said:
Tell us what you've done to promote cycling, or to help other riders, or to bring others into the sport. That's where the Gods of cycling come from.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm no god

I don't think I'm a god persay (I have been riding for a little while, and I think I've gotten much better, so I guess I've grown cocky in the sense guys on high end bikes don't scare me (even though they probably should).), I just think the better you ride the more cocky you seem to bcome. That is what I have noticed from other people that ride, they tend to be cocky and seem to think they're gods.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It seems that if you think you are a god, you are being a little cocky...you may be strong, and I really cant say you arent, because I dont know you, but experience is a huge part of cycling...and experienced rider with the same fitness level as you would probably have no trouble beating you in a race...ride a while, race some times, but please dont call yourself a god...it can only get you in trouble...when you win 3 Giros, a few P-R's, and 10 tours...then you can be a god...

·
Registered
21,511 Posts
Go for the 25

Rum_Runner1 said:
Is an avg of 20 mph fast or should I start looking into 25 mph.
You should definitely go for the 25 mph speed. After all, it's only 80% more effort than going 20, so what's the difference?

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
Rum_Runner1 said:
I don't think I'm a god persay (I have been riding for a little while, and I think I've gotten much better, so I guess I've grown cocky in the sense guys on high end bikes don't scare me (even though they probably should).), I just think the better you ride the more cocky you seem to bcome. That is what I have noticed from other people that ride, they tend to be cocky and seem to think they're gods.
Nothing wrong with some confidence on the bike. Never let the style guys with money intimidate you. You do need a little bit of humbling though. Do a fast group ride and get left in the dust, it will change your perspective. If the only racing you do is unannounced attacks on the multi-use trail, you're probably impressing only yourself.

Lastly, pros never average 16 mph unless it's an uphill TT. Stage one of Tour of CA was covered at an average of roughly 24 mph, over 80 miles.

Silas

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
"average speed" on a long flat means very little.

Either do an out-and-bike time-trial of a specified distance, or climb a hill of a known gradient, and then talk.

But, mostly, don't talk.

Just ride.

Buy Joe Friel's Cyclist's Training Bible. It's all how much you're pushing compared to your own max effort.

Want to see how much that is? Buy a powermeter.

Want to see how that compares to others? Enter a race.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I am a God. Specifically, the God of lead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts