Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're different for everyone, but I was clicking through You Tube and I ended up listening to a Dwarves song that I hadn't heard in a long time. Then I started to reminisce about the time I saw them live and how rockin of a show they put on.

Then I started to get all nostalgic about my days as a young kid with nothing to do other than go to punk rock shoes and be anti about everything.

Then I started listening to all that music.

I saw these guys at an all ages show in Fullerton when I was maybe 15 or 16 and was convinced that they changed my life. I think they did:

Enter my FNB days.

Every time I listen to these guys it brings me back. Good times. What've you got?

joe

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
A rarely think of the good old days, maybe because my life just gets better and better each day I am here. As far as groups that cause a flashback and make me think, pretty much every U2 song thats ever been on the radio. Maybe a little Depeche Mode, Hoodoo Guru's, Violent Femmes.

·
Large Suburban Male
3,599 Posts
Here's mine:

Well, I tried embedding a video of Henry Rollins in Black Flag singing Gimme Gimme Gimme, but failed.

Anyway,
I had my nose cracked by a stage diver at a Black Flag show with Rollins on the mic. We got stage pressed, and HR brought the mike down between me and a friend, and we sang part of Gimme Gimme Gimme with Henry. I slapped him on the sunburst tattoo.

Listening to early (pre - Nazi punks) hardcore brings back great memories.

Good times

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Old Echo and the Bunnymen brings me back...

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9gW3sYO9D-g&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
I went for a post-midnight ride last night and stopped to ride around my old high school campus. Haven't been on the campus in 15+ years even though I drive/ride by it all the time. Definitely had that "good ol' days" feeling, even though high school was NOT the good ol' days, by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Large Suburban Male
3,599 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
I went for a post-midnight ride last night and stopped to ride around my old high school campus. Haven't been on the campus in 15+ years even though I drive/ride by it all the time. Definitely had that "good ol' days" feeling, even though high school was NOT the good ol' days, by any stretch of the imagination.
I agree with you about the HS years not being the good ol days, but I have a ton of great memories from then. I didn't like HS much, but I had a ton of fun while there, and the music, places, and people bring back some warm and fuzzy (as well as some pretty bad) feelings.

Call it nostalgia, candy coating, or whatever, the fact that I learned something other than curriculum from being there for 4 years tells me that the time spent in HS was worth it. The stuff I learned in HS goes way beyond the 3 R's. I got more social education from HS than academic.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Creakyknees said:
my legs hurt.
Stop riding, and sit around and drink beer. That should help...either that or...

HTFU Wuss!!!:)

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
Hollywood said:
never heard of 'em. HTH

mine involve The Go Go's and 7-11 parking lots. Winner. :cool:
just for you

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,699 Posts
I'm not very old, but when I was in high school, a lot of the Portland music scene was reactionary to grunge, which sort of gloomily dominated NW music for a solid decade.

These guys were freaking amazing live. The Epoxies:

The Exploding Hearts. RIP. Tragic story about these guys, but I was pleasantly surprised to see a couple of their albums prominently featured in a store here in Missoula a few weeks ago. I've been listening to it a ton ever since:

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
Got into punk rock and saw all kinds of bands from the UK and LA then saw the Adolescents at a garage party in Anaheim, about 5 miles from the house where I grew up. The DIY thing kind of made sense before I saw them but it drilled into my brain like a Makita when I saw these guys play. After the first time we saw them, we started hanging with them, especially Tony, on a pretty regular basis. I was constantly amazed at the fact that these guys were just a bunch of knuckleheads like my friends but were doing this amazing crap at clubs and parties everywhere. Now I meet kids with Adolescents stickers on their cars and patches on their jackets and the whole thing is more of a trip now than it was then. Unfortunately I can't find any video of them from the old days.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Amoebaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a trip to know that so much of this happened right around where I grew up (and where I still live). I was unfortunately born about 15 years too late and was in OC around the time that that terrible, terrible new wave ska crap came out. Mustard Plug, Save Ferris, Grovers Headache.... crap... i couldn't stand any of that. At least Litmus Green and/or Narcoleptic Youth seemed to play here all the time.

joe

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
It was absolutely amazing how much good stuff was coming out of orange county in the late 70s and early 80s. In addition to obvious choices like Adolescents, Agent Orange, and Social Distortion (never a big fan), the Middle Class is probably the most underappreciated early punk band from southern California, not just Orange County. We also had early bands like the Crowd and Rik L Rik, if not from OC, was from the OC border. TSOL were a Long Beach/OC band and were supposed to play my high school at lunchtime until a DJ on KNAC announced the show on the air and told everyone to pack a sack lunch and hop the fence at our school. Our school wound up surrounded by a bunch of angry punks and even angrier cops. Orange County was fun before it became The OC.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
i was just going to second your fifteen and raise you a descendents....you already took care of it. bikeage is one of the best songs ever...

screeching weasel was another one for me....though i can stand them less now than i can many of the other bands i loved

archers of loaf and jawbreaker were also "big" for me...

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Old Echo and the Bunnymen brings me back...
Wow, throwback. I've been preparing to go through a nostalgic stage, but Im still in a reggae stage though.

Echo and the Bunnymen and Siouxie were on my playlist and frequented the mixtapes and the sony walkman for many moons... .along with early INXS, Depeche Mode, New Order. REM, U2, Psychadelic Furs, the Cure and Guadalcanal Diary. I have vivid memories of only having Siouxie and Echo for an entire trip to Kenosha Wisconsin in a school van for a cross country race. And the trip was way too long and way too crowded... and now just thinking of either Echo or Siouxie reminds me of the smell of feet and the scent of teen spirit as well as being cramped in a van with foggy windows, bench seats, too many people, and not enough seatbelts.

I met a girl in study hall that I, for whatever reason was in awe of. She was the epitomy of cool in an edgy sense and opened my eyes to wasting time in study hall, playing Spades, eating cookies for lunch, skipping class, and other genres of music. This allowed more edgy more punkish stuff into my life, as well as some stuff with a more folkish flair. Arlo Guthrie, early Poi Dog Pondering and their peculiar amalgam of sound, the Cult, THE SMITHS...etc. Some of this stuff freaking blew my mind.

I never got into the pop/top 40 stuff, but spending so much time on the track and cross country teams (I ran varsity all 4 years in both... ugh)... and rap was the trend at the time so I was very very familiar with the artists of the time, and Trevor Logan one of our hurdlers would bring the absolute BIGGEST boom box and would play ... LL, Run DMC, EPMD, et al.

All of these offered a somewhat welcome respite from the country music upbringing I endured and pretty much despised in the 80's. To this day most any 80's country artist... think Alabama... makes me cringe. So, thanks for reading, here is my embedded tunes offering.

Poi Dog on Letterman:

For Dr. Roebuck:

For me... and quite honestly the first guitarist I ever noticed. Billy Duffy...nuff said.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ampastoral said:
i was just going to second your fifteen and raise you a descendents....you already took care of it. bikeage is one of the best songs ever...

screeching weasel was another one for me....though i can stand them less now than i can many of the other bands i loved

archers of loaf and jawbreaker were also "big" for me...

I read your post before I saw your videos. Was about to post some Jawbreaker. W.T.F.

I swear that one of our dads was a traveling salesman.

These guys were a little later, but amazing nonetheless.

joe

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
WTF...isn't their lead singer the same guy from propaghandi?

i was just going to comment on how reading kafka and listening to propaghandi is very formative of a teenage mind...

weird

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
ampastoral said:
WTF...isn't their lead singer the same guy from propaghandi?

i was just going to comment on how reading kafka and listening to propaghandi is very formative of a teenage mind...

weird
The black clothbound Schocken version of Kafka's short stories was one of my most prized posessions in high school--as was Nietzsche's Thus Spake Zarathustra. I was a weird kid.

I still remember the People Mag review I read of Echo and the Bunnymen's Crocodiles. It said, "If writhing around on the carpet in an acid induced stupor is your idea of a good time you'll love this album."

1 - 20 of 26 Posts