Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years back when I moved here from SoCal the area was in the midst of a record setting drought. It was amazing, I had never seen a drought like it in all the time I lived in the South West.

This year we are going through a similar drought. There are front page stories in all the papers with charts, graphs and maps showing the effected area. DC is right in the middle of it so I thought I would take the chance to show folks how we are suffering.

First we had to get through town, about the only signs of a drought were some browinsh grass but then the Park Service has been watering for the tourists.

Not bad-except for that traffic thing in Georgetown.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Out of Georgetown we took the Capital Crescent Trail for a couple of miles till we could hop onto the Tow Path.

Normally this would be as lush as lush can be.

Amazing what a difference a drought can make.

The Potomac was on our left and the canal on our right. What a shame to see everything dried up like this.

The newspapers sure have the right of it, it is just awful out there........I mean if Miss M's bike wasn't green what would we have seen?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After stopping at the local co-op we took to the hills and through the neighborhoods in the hope that some folks would be watering their lawns to alleviate the dry conditions.

No such luck. Saddened by the arid state of affairs we made our way home through the usual quite August traffic sobered by what we had experienced.

If this keeps we may have to start importing water from the west. :rolleyes:

Or maybe even mow the lawn.

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Oooo...when I saw the thread title I was thinking I'd have to set you straight. I don't know when you moved here, but I'm guessing if it was in the middle of a bad drought it was probably late '60s ('66 was one of the worst in the recorded history of the region, but not THE worst). Although you must have been pretty young at that point. Anyway, I work on drought management for the DC area and I'm getting tired of hearing about how bad it is. It ain't bad at all. I'd call it a very dry spell, which has made life tough for many farmers in the regions. But trees and wild flora, along with our rivers, are doing just fine. Wait till we actually get a bad drought--people will think the world is ending.

Glad you made light of the issue. And nice pics. What did you buy at the co-op (Takoma?)--I don't see any panniers or a BOB in those pictures.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,037 Posts
Top 10 Most Common Pictures in the Commuting Forum:

1) Bike in front of something
2) Food
3) POV shot while riding
4) Miss M shopping
5) Food
6) Bike in front of something
7) Food
8) Sunsets/Sunrises
9) POV while riding
10) Food

And I love every single one of 'em.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back when Miss M was lurking.....

DrRoebuck said:
Top 10 Most Common Pictures in the Commuting Forum:
.......And I love every single one of 'em.
LenJ pointed out that MissM has the most famous rear end in the internet.

Boy did I get in trouble for that one! :eek:

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
llama31 said:
...... Wait till we actually get a bad drought--people will think the world is ending.

Glad you made light of the issue. And nice pics. What did you buy at the co-op (Takoma?)--I don't see any panniers or a BOB in those pictures.
As near as I can tell according to the newspapers the world is always going to hell in a handbasket. Too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry, too, three, four.......the world is ending now, "Tune in for our special report at 5".

Since we commute by bike and have a nice selection of stores on our daily commute routes our fanny packs are enough for the daily shopping and we only break out the BOB or a messenger bag once in a while.

BTW that is the Bethesda Co-op on Seven Locks Road and Macarthur.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
as far as I can see, the only plants that are affected that much are the pansys in a planter I keep forgetting to water and the dogwoods planted right in the middle of a yard, as opposed to in a canopy like they are intended to be. Everything else looks fine.

·
Non non normal
10,140 Posts
It seems we have only mowed the yard about three times the last couple of months. Just enough rain to keep things alive but not let anything grow well.

The non-irrigated corn in Delaware is mostly a loss. It was burnt up real bad.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
llama31 said:
Oooo...when I saw the thread title I was thinking I'd have to set you straight. I don't know when you moved here, but I'm guessing if it was in the middle of a bad drought it was probably late '60s ('66 was one of the worst in the recorded history of the region, but not THE worst). Although you must have been pretty young at that point. Anyway, I work on drought management for the DC area and I'm getting tired of hearing about how bad it is. It ain't bad at all. I'd call it a very dry spell, which has made life tough for many farmers in the regions. But trees and wild flora, along with our rivers, are doing just fine. Wait till we actually get a bad drought--people will think the world is ending.

But "WE"RE HAVING A DRY SPELL!!!" just doesn't seem to get the viewers to tune in. Yet another case of the reporters trying to make the news, rather than just report it. :mad: :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.