Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a local Seattle area podcast, but there is a good interview with an attorney who has a solo practice that only represents cyclists. He is also an advocate who assists with improving traffic laws to help protect cyclists.

Lot's of good insight and safety tips.

Episode #006 ? Cycling Attorney John Duggan, Group Ride Tip Line, News and Events ? The Group Ride

Here is the link to the 'Courtesy Gap Equals Death Trap' article he references.

https://www.dugganbikelaw.com/courtesygapequalsdeathtrap

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, here are some thumbnails for you.

At the end of the podcast, they mentioned his water bottle. He's given away more than 17,000 of them.

It's kind of become a 'thing' for people to take them on vacations around the world and send back pictures of the bottle.

Here are a couple of examples

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thumbnail version?
It's about 50 minutes of interview with an attorney who represents cyclists in the greater Seattle area who have been involved in motor vehicle accidents. He talks about the most common types of accidents involving cyclists (most involve turning cars - getting rear ended is fairly uncommon), some things you can to to be safer, and what to do (and not to do) if you are involved in an accident.

At the end, he talks about some of his cycling adventures, teams, and some other minor personal stuff.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
After watching that video, I have to say that the cyclist was at fault. He was flying past a line of cars which were all slowing down (note the brake lights) and he didn't slow down one bit as he rode into the intersection. He did however yell "STOP !!!" before he ran into the minivan. The he yelled "ARRRRGH !!!"

I wonder if the attorney represented this particular cyclist, and what the outcome of the case was.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
From a traffic law standpoint, the van was absolutely at fault. The van was crossing the cyclists lane of travel. (there was no stop sign or traffic signal for the cylist).

However, common sense says, it doesn't really matter. In any situation where a car and bike are tangled up, the car will always win (a point John makes in the podcast several times).

Edit to add: I'm not suggesting that the cyclist couldn't have done more to avoid this collision. They certainly could and should have been aware of this possibility, and the risks of the courtesy gap. I'm just saying the from a legal standpoint, the van crossed the cyclists right of way, and is legally at fault.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
watched the video.

cyclist got what he deserved.

you can't fix stupid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts