Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone given it a good listen yet? It's not as good as The Crane Wife, but still an accomplishment... Of sorts. I think the thing about CW was its unexpectedness - as in, no one expected (or I didn't, anyway) a contemporary band even to be capable of doing something so... Well, maybe just something interesting, even if it has its shortcomings. Anyway, Hazards tries to pick up there, but I'm on the fence so far.

A while back people were saying Radiohead was the new Pink Floyd. That might be the case, but I think it only holds true before Syd Barret's pre-Wish You Were Here departure. Then I think the mantle gets passed to the Decemberists. Their ability to put together a "narrative" record exceeds that exercised, I think, on Tommy and Quadrophenia. (Which isn't to say those are worse records, just worse narratives. I think musically The Who still trumps the Decemberists...)

Too bad there's no market for musical meta-textualism. I could sit here and do this all day.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Somebody had a thread on this a couple of weeks ago. I'm with you on Hazards vs Crane wife. I like this album ok but I LOVE the Crane wife. Crane wife is probably in my top 20 albums that I own. (I'm an old guy, I say album). I like hazards but overall it is Meh compared to Crane wife, the narrative is ok but the music just doesn't compare.

But I think you are way off even mentioning these albums compared to Quadrophenia or Tommy. Those two are on a plane of their own IMHO.

·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
VaughnA said:
But I think you are way off even mentioning these albums compared to Quadrophenia or Tommy. Those two are on a plane of their own IMHO.
OK, Quadrophenia, maybe. But as much as I liked Tommy as a kid - and I still love it - I can't get over how eye-opening the movie was about how trite the story really is. (I saw the movie probably fifteen years after I got the cassette of Tommy, at which time I was probably six or seven, and couldn't even begin to make head nor tail of the plotpoints.) Musically it's something else, for sure, but I'm a literature guy, and the narrative is just... Weak. I'm sorry. For some reason, for me, that criticism doesn't demean Tommy as an accomplishment. I don't know quite how to describe it. It's just not... that... good. But it's still awesome. I can't explain it.

Anyway, yeah: Crane Wife is good. Go over and get the "Long of It" show from www.archive.org, and partake of all the best parts of CW live, plus "The Tain" and the only good Pink Floyd cover EVER.

Edit: found that thread. Thanks.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
good fun

Definitely an entertaining album, I like the "concept" of it, the way that it's essentially a play / musical without actors, but I too am not as musically impressed as I was with Crane Wife.

"Won't Want for Love" is both catchy and hauntingly pretty. A lot of the songs make me smile, especially "the rake's song."

I feel like the Decemberists are allllmost running out of uniqueness. "Rake's Song" is fun, but kind of the poor cousin to "The Mariners' Revenge Song."

There's only SO many times I can hear Colin Meloy sing the line "my own true love."

I still am happy I bought it.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
i've given it a few listens all the way through and i like it well enough.

the albums keep getting more and more "grand," but i don't think the quality of songwriting is following suit. castaways and her majesty are still my two favorite albums of their repetoire....

like arg, tho, i'm glad i bought it.

and concept albums have never gone away, they've just never been by bands that were getting much attention. shellac, ilium, the faint, magnetic fields, et al have all done some nice concept (if not concept"y") albums, imho

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
For some reason, I like the live version from sxsw on npr better. It just comes off better when played live.

I think Picaresque is my favorite of theirs. If you haven't already, you should definitely check out their older stuff.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Brick Tamland said:
For some reason, I like the live version from sxsw on npr better. It just comes off better when played live.
+1 Much better, still not as good as Crane Wife. I'll have to check out some older stuff.

·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VaughnA said:
I'll have to check out some older stuff.
Check out the Tarkio compendium as well. Some of the songs from there trickled onto the early Decemberists records.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
Brick Tamland said:

I think Picaresque is my favorite of theirs. If you haven't already, you should definitely check out their older stuff.
+1...i was blanking on the title of this record

1 - 9 of 9 Posts