Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just wanted to share a bit about whats going on with my life. Its now 23 days since i moved out fo the house and filed for divorce. In that time i managed to save my bikes, my pictures, and my unbuilt model kits. In a fit of rage my wife threw out thousands of dollars of toy trains, all my bike tools, and lord knows what else.

Here is where the cycling and rest have come in. Thanks to both, especially the cycling i was able to handle each of these rages with absolute calm and salvage what i could. Thankfully the worst is over and most of what is left is safe. But thru it all, every day when i could riding my bike, be it mtn or road really helped clear my mind, allowed me to drop anger and hatred from my soul, and be calm and controled to handle this.

The next few months will be filled with work, cycling, and building models as i continue to work to make this divorce happen. However now that i am out of that toxic marriage i feel better and better each and every day. I even plan on ridning the whole winter and starting racing again next year. Something i wasnt able to do the last few years because of all the problems at home.

I've been riding for 22 years and i am still amazed how cycling clears my mind, elevates my mood, and in generally is allways fresh and new.

Ok, thanks for listening, i just need to get this off my chest.

Bill

·
Banned
976 Posts
Good for you. . .

Life is all about survival and maintaining a positive mental state. It's great something as simple as getting on a bike for a ride can help.

·
Registered
520 Posts
cross, i have discovered much the same thing about the mental benefits of cycling. 2 years ago almost to this day i lost a loved one. i stopped riding altogether, put on 30 pounds, spent most every morning hungover and every afternoon racked with anxiety. it finally reached the point where i could not abide it anymore, and i started riding again. at this point, i can't believe how bad i felt when i stopped riding and let the negativity overwhelm me. it sounds to me as if this is a wonderful opportunity (albeit in disguise) for you to pursue what it is that keeps you sane and happy.i wish you good luck, but it sounds like you're already doing much better than most people so soon after such an experience.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Glad you still got all your bikes, hang in there man!

Time to start gathering tools again little by little and setting up a small shop at home ;)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Good for you...:thumbsup:
Plenty of negative aspects in life that having a positive outlet and a healthy one at that, will keep you going.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I'm proud of you man, there are nothing but sunny roads ahead of you my friend. The storm has passed. Enjoy your rides.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have never been through anything like that so I cannot completely relate, but I know that when I have to deal with something unfavorable, I try to use that negative energy I would normally experience and channel it into something positive. Cycling is perfect for that. It provides so many positive mental and physical benefits. I'm glad that you are doing just that and making the best of a negative situation. :thumbsup: Good luck with all of the legal stuff!

·
Registered
151 Posts
cycling through

I have been there, and I would add that on your darkest days, if you dont feel like riding, Make Yourself. I find those days you get the most benefit. Sounds like you are on the upward curve, best to you.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Eat, Pray, Bike

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
EAT, PRAY, RIDE LOVE IT

Thats what i am doing. The worst of the anger has passed, damages have been done and can now heal. All bikes, gear, lights, etc have been saved. Other things lost can be found again. But the bikes, IMHO have so much of my personality in them that their loss would have been a particular hard blow.

That said i continue to up my mileage each week. Both MTN and Road are proving to be just the thing my mind needs to heal.

Thanks for all the great words of encuragemnet. Trust that i am well and with rest and riding will continue to do well.

Bill

·
Registered
614 Posts
Good to hear my internet buddy!!! Dont forget to let your friends in and to make new ones. Shutting doors and blocking out can have serious social effects. Heads up - Pedals down and enjoy life.

Stu

·
Proud luddite
7,190 Posts
Hang in there....things are tough now but they will get better. And it takes time, so just let things take their course.

I was in a similar situation 10 years ago. While my divorce was a more amicable one than yours, it was still the most devastating experience I've ever been through....and I honestly believe that my bicycling got me through the deal in one piece. It kept me going physically and mentally, no doubt about it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The power of cycletherapy is not to be underestimated. My terminally ill mom is living with us and I can't imagine how I would deal with the stress were it not for my bikes. I'm not the chatty type- don't want to talk about it, I just need to get on a bike and ride until it hurts or I want to puke! Then I feel a whole lot better and better able to deal with things.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems. Cycling certainly has a calming effect. I commuted by bike 36 mi/day. When I was teaching emotionally disturbed kids I'd rid those #%$# into the ground on the way home. I always felt lots better then.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts