Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Mid to low 70's with a light breeze is my ideal riding weather.

I do OK in the heat, I went out today and it was 102 (dry desert heat) but I don't enjoy it.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
my preferred best conditions...?

76F, 20% RH, wind 0 mph.

what I actually have at the moment is 97.5F (heat index 106F), 45% RH, winds E at 5.5 mph (gusting to 11 mph).

almost the same...

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
been perfect here about 67F cloudy and drizzle, last 2 days. Because it is mainly all climbing I like the cooler air. And if I go west another 20km, it will be more like 55F, which is great for hiking and mtn biking

Got to experience 120F last month though, at my other home. ouch (5 people died that day!) Heat has no redeeming qualities imho. It is equivalent to being in northern Alaska in January

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've found 55F is pretty much perfect for everything. Running, road / mountain biking, hiking and rock climbing are all great at 55! I still don't mind the heat to much but I can't push my fitness anywhere near as hard.

Even though 55 is ideal I still love mountain biking and rock climbing in near (or sub) freezing temps. The mountain bike trails aren't overgrown and I can still work up a sweat in shorts and a light shirt climbing 2,000 vertical feet in 5 miles. For rock climbing I can climb about a grade harder in 32F temps. The shoes stick at their best and no need to worry about sweat on your fingers.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Whatever... I ride year round. Snow rides in winter, beach rides in between.. Road rides all summer... I haven't met conditions I wouldn't ride through yet... I don't mind 100+ temps. I do need to acclimate and ride prepared for the heat...

·
Registered
470 Posts
It seems like I am climbing 80% of my rides. I prefer a little cooler rather than hotter. Perfect? Sunny, low humidity, call it 65 degrees. I'll take anything from 50 to 75 range and be totally stoked Frankly, even down to 45 as long as my ears are covered. My beanie tends to move up and expose my ears every 30 minutes or so. I know, get a new beanie, or new ear covers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Living in southwest Florida hot and humid is a given. I get my rides in early in the morning and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
We finally had a couple of days in the 90's with high humidity. Been waiting for some heat to show itself, because this is when I ride best. I really enjoy riding when it's hot and humid, what's your best riding temp ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FZ_390wz-U
I slogged through a few hot and humid rides this week. I can get through it but I don't enjoy it that much. I also find I am less motivated to push myself so my fitness level does not improve that much during heat waves. I would say around 75F is my preferred temperature for riding

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Hot and humid here in VA yesterday. I have ridden in this type weather for a long time but never enjoyed it. Past few days are the first like this of the summer and my suffering yesterday was compounded by my recent vacation to Seattle and Vancouver BC where it was dry and in the mid to high 70's.

This time of year around here you climb up into the mountains, things cool off OK but you descend back down at about 1500 ft it's like someone turns on a hair dryer.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Its funny, because I am the first to whinge and b*tch about uphills and headwinds, but temperature, hot or cold, doesn't bother me. Then again, I live in NY City, where it is very temperate. We don't get anywhere near as hot as you southern folks nor as cold as you guys up north. But I am fine in temperatures that fall under zero and that hit 100. Never tried to cycle in 20 below or 110 with humidity, though.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Whatever... I ride year round. Snow rides in winter, beach rides in between.. Road rides all summer... I haven't met conditions I wouldn't ride through yet... I don't mind 100+ temps. I do need to acclimate and ride prepared for the heat...
I have experienced 120F and -20C (whatever that is in F). Not really possible to ride in either one of those extremes, imho.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I have experienced 120F and -20C (whatever that is in F). Not really possible to ride in either one of those extremes, imho.
XC Skied in -20C a few winters ago. I haven't ridden in it yet. Got kind of close on one ride, well within 10degrees F. Never experienced 120F. I think hottest ride has been 101F. I wouldn't try anything too much hotter than that, but where I live 120 temps don't happen. Maybe after the glaciers melt?

This was single digits F, my coldest ride last year.
Body of water Fluid Coastal and oceanic landforms Water resources Shore

1 - 18 of 18 Posts