Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to start another thread on LED lights since a couple of folks wanted to see how I built mine. Here it is in all it's DIY glory.

I used 3 of the SSC P4 LED's From Dealextreme as the LEDs. And the Dealextreme drivers, one for each LED. All driven by a 7.4v lithium ion battery from batteryspace.com. I think I have less than 80 bucks in the light total.

All it takes is 1" square tubing and 1 X 1/16 FLATBAR from lowes. I glued three 6" pieces of the tubing together and then cut it into 7/8 inch slices with a mitre saw for the main body and glued on the sides, top & bottom with JB Weld. Then a 3" piece holds the LED's and the drivers are inside with the wiring. Easier to see the photos than describe. 80 bucks and you have about 600 lumens.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the body partially assembled and the leftovers from chopping the main body out. I chopped out about 6 lights at once. Me and some friends have build 3 of them so far.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
firstrax said:
He's a jerk.
And a source of parts for lights. That wasn't lost on me.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Any in-process wiring pix for those of us who totally get the mechanical part, but are a little weak on the electronics part?

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
dang. leopold sure ain't gonna git runned over with them lights on.

BTW, why can't they make any nice looking heatsinks?

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Holy Carp.

I feel so..........inadequate.

And I thought the 7000 Lumen light was overkill. That's an impressive array of lighting. I don't do any night road riding so I don't need that much. It is nice to see you aren't one of the guys machining beautiful works of art. I'm more of a hacksaw and JB weld kind of guy myself.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
You feel inadequate, heck I thought I was genius when I made the into an LED.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
Wow, "The Leopold Porkstacker NUKER one billion".

I suppose you could make a brighter one too.

Impressive brilliance.

Could you take on-bike shots at night? I suppose that would be kind of hard.

But I bet that competes handily with the higher dollar HID and LED offerings.

Very cooll!

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
saf-t said:
Any in-process wiring pix for those of us who totally get the mechanical part, but are a little weak on the electronics part?
With the drivers I used I used one driver per led and connected them in parallel to the 7.4 volt battery.

Basically the led has a positive and negative connection. Solder those to the red and black wires already on the driver (Red+ ,Black-). I actually replaced the wires with something a little heavier duty and I'd recommend doing it as well, the originals were pretty fragile. Just solder new wires where the old ones were. They are small but with a magnifier or reading glasses even I could do it.

Then connect the battery positive to the center conductor on the back of the driver, the battery negative to the outer conductor on the driver board. These are also solder connections. Add an inline switch if you like. That's about it.

I'll see about some photos later.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts