Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nice selection of just about every kind of bike a cyclist could want. The selection evolved over time to match my riding needs.

The usual deal though is that even with a nice selection I end up riding just one or two bikes at a time for months and months at a time. Then for some unknown reason I change the selection; again for months and months at a time

This year has been different. With 2 houses (Florida and DC) the bikes are split up and for whatever reason I have ridden them all a lot.

I'll start with the oldest and run through them all by age.....

The GT Zaskar. My last souvenir of working in the factory for all those years. I've got it set up as a pure snow and ice bike and we have had a fair amount in the last month or so. The thing is getting a little old and I really should replace the entire drive train but that doesn't change the fact that this is one fine machine that I will likely never get rid of.

This bike is a pure joy to ride. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My Rivendell Rambouillet is just the perfect bike for our Randonneur style riding. A year ago I had S&S couplers installed to make it the perfect travel bike.

It does everything well. It just isn't as pretty as my Blue Waterford so I haven't been riding it near as much as I should so I shipped it to Florida. It is getting used well there (although I did switch it from a triple to a double crank). So far this year it is the bike with the most miles on it; 500+ I'd guess (like all my bikes except the tandem it isn't sullied with a computer).

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always wanted a Paramount/Waterford but could never justify the cost. Silly me.

One day I just ordered one-this Blue Beauty.

Since the day it arrived I have been in love with the thing. The more I ride it the more I love it. I've turned it into my main commuter and long distance machine. It is just enough better (the least tiny bit of a fraction) than my Rivendell that I just wasn't riding the Orange beauty all that much. If I could only have one bike, this would be the one.

Now that the Rivendell is in Florida and the Waterford is in DC I can appreciate them both. I've likely got 400+ miles on this one so far this year.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was perfectly happy with my Gunnar fixte. But Gunnars are stock frames and the Blue Waterford opened my eyes up to the joys of riding a custom frame. Then Waterford came out with a new curly SS lug set.

I had to.

Ended up with this sweet White Waterford fixte that is almost an exact match of my Blue Waterford. Except for the brakes, dropouts and most of the components.

What a great bike. I made the mistake of not shipping it down to Florida when we first went down. Silly boy after one week of riding geared when Miss M was on one of her fixtes (she has 2) it was time to ship this one down to Florida.

It could be the perfect Florida bike, got about 400 miles on it so far this year.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have been riding tandems since before we got married (heck I've been riding the things since the early 70's and I worked in the Santana factory for a few years). This summer when we decided to take a trip to Europe we decided we needed an S&S coupled tandem.

I looked into getting them retrofitted to our 10 year old tandem but it just didn't turn out to be all that much a savings over selling the old bike and getting a new one.

Of course we just had to get pure top of the line. Our trip was a great success and we kept riding the thing.

Once we decided on getting a Florida home this bike was gonna be perfect down there (although we'll bring it back to DC for the summer and fall). We likely have 300+ miles on this one already this year. As a bonus with the rack installed and a couple of panniers it makes the perfect grocery getter (and a couple times we stopped by a grove and filled the panniers with oranges).

This bike is a pure joy for both of us to ride. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few years ago I got Miss M a pure performance Waterford. Full Dura Ace 10 speed, fancy wheels the whole race bit. Every time she rode the thing she killed me. I figured I would just suck it up and after a while I would get stronger.

Didn't work, I think we ride too much together for me to gain a fitness advantage over her.

Well the new Santana with it's carbon and ti frame and high zoot wheels convinced me there may be something to all this new tec stuff.

So this fall the shop was having a sale and offered me a darn good deal on a Madone 5.5. Carbon this, DA that with fancy wheels. Well after I upgraded the wheels and crank (just because more than anything else) I haven't had any problems keeping up with Miss M when she rides her racer. The fact that it is plastic is a nice bonus when it is muddy out!

We are really having a lot of fun going fast together but I really should put a Brooks on the thing. As nice as it is though this would be the first one to go if I had to cut back on my bike fleet.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
MB1 said:
I was perfectly happy with my Gunnar fixte.
I am perfectly happy with your Gunnar fixte, too. :)

I rarely ride the Gunnar Street Dog in the winter -- I usually use it for commuting and I don't have lights on it. As you know, today was a beautiful day. I did not want to ride my Seven in the salt/melting snow mess that was on many roads and the Lemond Poprad was set up for the indoor trainer. So, I grabbed the Street Dog and did a 50 mile ride with it. I always enjoy riding that bike. But, I have to remember not to take shortcuts that involve steep hills. :cryin:

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Gotta love an old GT!

The GT Zaskar. My last souvenir of working in the factory for all those years. I've got it set up as a pure snow and ice bike and we have had a fair amount in the last month or so. The thing is getting a little old and I really should replace the entire drive train but that doesn't change the fact that this is one fine machine that I will likely never get rid of.
This bike is a pure joy to ride.

Although I moved to the paved crowd some 12 years ago, I am still occasionally riding my mid-nineties Avalanche LE. After trashing the original Judy, I dressed her up a little with a Bomber fork and a few XTR bits. Before building up a dedicated commuter, I used her for work, errands and a child-carrier. Two weeks ago, I changed her back to being a mountain bike and rode some trails. Didn't know how much I had missed her.

Great bike, that... :thumbsup:

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
seeborough said:
This bike is a pure joy to ride.

Although I moved to the paved crowd some 12 years ago, I am still occasionally riding my mid-nineties Avalanche LE. After trashing the original Judy, I dressed her up a little with a Bomber fork and a few XTR bits. Before building up a dedicated commuter, I used her for work, errands and a child-carrier. Two weeks ago, I changed her back to being a mountain bike and rode some trails. Didn't know how much I had missed her.

Great bike, that... :thumbsup:
I loved that Avalanche LE (I got one of the last pre-Pacific models). It was just a wee bit too small, so it had to go. It's been bouncing around among my friends for a while, but they don't know the joy it brought me as my first mountain bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I appreciate my Waterfords

I have really enjoyed the contributions of people on this board. I'd like to share pictures of 2 of my custom Waterfords. Dave Wages a former frame builder at Waterford built both of these bikes. He carved the lugs. The pink compact bike was modeled after an old Hetchins Lug pattern.As you can see, i have a short inseam and a long upper torso. I really appreciate how pleasant and civil people are on this board. I especially am grateful for MB1's pictures.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ptwinkte said:
..... I'd like to share pictures of 2 of my custom Waterfords. Dave Wages a former frame builder at Waterford built both of these bikes. He carved the lugs.......
Oh my!

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
ptwinkte said:
I really appreciate how pleasant and civil people are on this board. I especially am grateful for MB1's pictures.
Ditto that and that lug work is truly AWESOME. MB1 are all your bikes set up with the same seat to bar drop and saddle to bar reach, except the GT they all seem to be set up the same. Your custom frames, are they all the same basic lengths and angles? Still am really envious of the Santana (even though a tandem is way off in the future, if at all). All in all a great thread showing off some much loved bikes.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
kiwisimon said:
...Your custom frames, are they all the same basic lengths and angles? ....
I've set up the 3 steel bikes with the same bar, brake levers, pedals and saddle. The fit is just about as close as close to the same you can get.

The Trek is a bit off but I've decided I like it enough to make it worthwhile to dial in the fit to match all my other bikes. I wasn't going to spend the time and dough until I decided if it is a keeper.

I've decided.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts