Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
waterproof*
Joined
·
41,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
True indeed. Was just musing on that earlier during my nnc.

I received a facebook friend invitation today from a lady I've never met and with whom I have no friends in common. At first I thought is was a scammer, but her profile looked legit. So I replied - "have we met?"

She said and I quote verbatim:

"oh no~ we havn't met. every now and again i will try to make new fb friends when exploring pages that I like~ today it was blitzen trapper and Rainn Wilson~ maybe i ran across you there~ anyways~ fb is just more interesting to me with more people to hear from or laugh with or sing with or read with and so on~ no harm intended :) Have A Good One~*"

So I thought, yeah, that sounds kind of nice actually. But then I thought about the grope that shall not be discussed. And thought, maybe not.
 

·
Misfit Toy
Joined
·
23,426 Posts
She's a friend collector. I've had a few, I usually ignore them.
 

·
eminence grease
Joined
·
18,538 Posts
I have this nerdy work associate who has more than 3000 friends. Like every other whacky internet trend, there are people who try to collect the highest number regardless of who they add. If you were an attractive young woman and knew this guy here in the real world, you'd never have him as a FB friend. Yet he has thousands of just those kinds of people on his list.

We had one pass through our ranks over here - Adeline Chan. Most of the expats have a handful of Chinese friends from work, so when I got that one I confirmed. Next thing you know, every guy among my local network had a request from her. Then one of my staff guys sent her a message and asked who she was - no answer. I even posted the salient question "Who is Adeline Chan?" on my profile for a bit - no answer.

It takes all kinds I guess.
 

·
Le Misérable
Joined
·
4,374 Posts
I still refuse to facebook. And I use my 2001-era cellphone maybe twice a month.

However, the fact that I now earn my living entirely on the internet kinda puts a dent in my hermity, anti-technology exterior.

F'n internet. Now the bike is my ONLY excuse to leave the house.
 

·
corning my own beef
Joined
·
5,713 Posts
il sogno said:
I think she likes you.
well yeah, but does she LIKE him, like him?
 

·
Boobies!
Joined
·
8,163 Posts
Ibashii said:
I still refuse to facebook. And I use my 2001-era cellphone maybe twice a month.

However, the fact that I now earn my living entirely on the internet kinda puts a dent in my hermity, anti-technology exterior.

F'n internet. Now the bike is my ONLY excuse to leave the house.
Wow, another techno-misanthrope... I'm resisting facebook and also use my cell as little as possible.

My latest discovery though is tempting back to the dark side--how great the resources have become for scanned books online at www.archive.org -- I swear it is about a thousand times better than it was only a year or two ago.

Had I continued as a historian, my next project was going to be Pierre Bayle--and other than current journals you could do most of your work without leaving the house
 

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
Before I ridded myself of Facebook, I had a little cousin who went through my entire friends list and added all the attractive womenfolk.

I suppose it was cool for a 6th grader to say he had hot college womenfolk as facebook friends.

*shrug*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,192 Posts
Same thing here

Ibashii said:
I still refuse to facebook. And I use my 2001-era cellphone maybe twice a month.

However, the fact that I now earn my living entirely on the internet kinda puts a dent in my hermity, anti-technology exterior.

F'n internet. Now the bike is my ONLY excuse to leave the house.
If facebook is what I think it is, (another way to avoid human contact with people yet still feel normal about voice contact) then I have no use for it. Cell phone is all I have for phone contact these days as the land line was not getting used at all so I dumped it. But the facebook thing, are you typing out your life story daily/hourly/minutely for all of your FB pallies to read if they choose? Kinda like this forum on steroids? Really I don't know what it is or does to enhance the personal contact thing. And what happened to the grope thread?
 

·
eminence grease
Joined
·
18,538 Posts
ARP said:
Kinda like this forum on steroids?
On the contrary, for most of the Loungers and all of the people I use it to communicate with it's very low key. Most people update once or twice a day or not for days at a time. And the topics tend to be more personal, less controversial and don't generally develop into conversations. It's not designed to be a forum.

I never used it until I was overseas. Then it became an easy was to stay in contact with my kids and people I know back in the world. And an easy avenue for sharing photos and comments when traveling.

Like anything else, it can suck up your life if you let it.
 

·
still shedding season
Joined
·
8,849 Posts
<--recently fell to FB. It's very different than this place, but in what way seems to depend on your friends. Kayaking friends seem to use it to talk about going paddling or where they've been; "normal" people use it for goofy things (mafia wars, petitions to legalize pot, complain about mundane stuff).

Lots of different uses for it but there's not a lot of quality there, unlike here. Sometimes. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,192 Posts
The lounge eats up enough

terry b said:
On the contrary, for most of the Loungers and all of the people I use it to communicate with it's very low key. Most people update once or twice a day or not for days at a time. And the topics tend to be more personal, less controversial and don't generally develop into conversations. It's not designed to be a forum.

I never used it until I was overseas. Then it became an easy was to stay in contact with my kids and people I know back in the world. And an easy avenue for sharing photos and comments when traveling.

Like anything else, it can suck up your life if you let it.
of my so called internet time I am willing to waste, could not imagine what the FB would do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,830 Posts
I get random friend requests on FB from hot young chicks all the time. I don't know any of them or share any friends. I assume it is some sort of internet pron scheme, spam or perhaps virus attempt. IMHO, you are taking a big risk of contracting a computer virus (or perhaps an actual one) if you accept such friend requests.
 

·
Grey Manrod
Joined
·
9,227 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
I get random friend requests on FB from hot young chicks all the time. I don't know any of them or share any friends. I assume it is some sort of internet pron scheme, spam or perhaps virus attempt. IMHO, you are taking a big risk of contracting a computer virus (or perhaps an actual one) if you accept such friend requests.
Gutfiddle would also fall into this category.

Still waiting for Becky Beadle to accept my friend request, though.
 

·
Good news everyone!
Joined
·
5,452 Posts
I only share info with friends or people I somewhat loosely know, and even the info that's shared is rarely anything sensitive or too personal. I just don't put that information on FB. Why would I share my employer, address, phone number, or anything like that? That's just stupid IMO.
 
1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Top