Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the Monty Python clip just made me realize something. no longer are cult items confined to those that seek them out. in a near instant you can be clued into all manner of cultural references that you have missed.

the internet allows a casual observer to be "in the know" and the effect of this mass "enlightenment" sorta cheapens everything. you used to have to be into something to even find it. now, google, link, done.

i'm rambling, but there is a coherent thought in here somewhere - let me check with Pittsburgh.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
I think it's cool to be able to think about something and instantly find it on Youtube or the net somewhere. Like today some friends were joking about a Wayne's World clip where they play Hendrix's "Foxy Lady" and somebody pulled it right up on their phone.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim311 said:
I think it's cool to be able to think about something and instantly find it on Youtube or the net somewhere. Like today some friends were joking about a Wayne's World clip where they play Hendrix's "Foxy Lady" and somebody pulled it right up on their phone.
sure, it's neat to relive the scene, but you've already seen the movie and have a relationship with it. how many people have seen an episode of Monty Python. how many can recall the bits in that episode. that's the difference.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
I'm not sure that items that have been out for 40 years could qualify as "cult" items. They are pretty much mainstream. Iggy Pop was shilling for a cruise line not too long ago, fer chrissakes.

I blame baby-boomers.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PDex said:
I'm not sure that items that have been out for 40 years could qualify as "cult" items. They are pretty much mainstream. Iggy Pop was shilling for a cruise line not too long ago, fer chrissakes.

I blame baby-boomers.
for the first 25 years of Monty Python existence, it was a cult thing - you had to scour to find the shows - only the hardcore had access. now the daisy pickers come along and ruin it all.

the internet is to geeks what Lance is to cyclists.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
dont worry. we are all still geeks.

youre basically feeling the "who told the jocks about our inside joke" phenomenon. maybe its the "i knew about it first!" phenomenon, buts pretty much the same.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
asciibaron said:
for the first 25 years of Monty Python existence, it was a cult thing - you had to scour to find the shows - only the hardcore had access. now the daisy pickers come along and ruin it all.

the internet is to geeks what Lance is to cyclists.
EDIT: I'm not sure that items that have been out for 25 years could qualify as "cult" items. They are pretty much mainstream. Iggy Pop was shilling for a cruise line not too long ago, fer chrissakes.

I blame baby-boomers.

One only needed to "scour" the local PBS(!) pledge drives to see Monty Python.

I agree with your Lance statement, however.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
weltyed said:
dont worry. we are all still geeks.

youre basically feeling the "who told the jocks about our inside joke" phenomenon. maybe its the "i knew about it first!" phenomenon, buts pretty much the same.

joe

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
What's wrong with common knowledge? Now people can see the origins of genius, as opposed to thinking the new people invented that type of comedy.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
There's still Metafilter.

joe

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,107 Posts
I wouldn't say that the internet ruined geekiness...It's just that now, geeks are no longer the bottom of the barrel...Geeks are cool now.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mohair_chair said:
It's not your geekiness that feels threatened. It's your self-proclaimed hipness.
i have never been hip - if i know about something, it has jumped the shark so to speak.

·
Registered
19 Posts
mohair_chair said:
It's not your geekiness that feels threatened. It's your self-proclaimed hipness.
exactly.

"asciibaron" wishes he were the only person "in the know" and "englightened". These are his own words, he says it himself.

No different than hipster fixie people who lament the fact that walmart now carries single speed bikes.

But Monty Python was never a "secret cool thing that only cool people know". It is mass media. Television for god's sake! Just British. What a retard.

·
Registered
855 Posts
asciibaron said:
sure, it's neat to relive the scene, but you've already seen the movie and have a relationship with it. how many people have seen an episode of Monty Python. how many can recall the bits in that episode. that's the difference.
Like remembering the Olympic Twit Competion that was won by a twit who managed to run himself over

·
Registered
855 Posts
Personally I kind of like it when newbies find some old gold via the internet. Like when a youngster gets all excited over downloading some old Boston tracks just like I got excited listening to the same track on vinyl about 35 years ago.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Hipness is what it is.

And sometimes hipness is what it ain't.

joe

1 - 20 of 41 Posts