Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Dr. Flats a lot
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Along with others I kinda rolled my eyes when Colnago went to the far east to make bikes. Gone was the old world craftmanship, the loving weathered hands of artisans shaping the finest bikes for the best riders in the world.
Then I got a Colnago CX-1. I joked I had three Taiwanese carbon bikes one with Belgian stickers, one with Spanish stickers and one with Italian. They may have come from the same place, even the same factory but there is a world of difference in the ride.
Absolutely hands down the most dazzling, incredible ride I've been on. Maybe there are others that do one thing or another better. It's not super light, a bit of an eyesore when compared with some of the older nago's. But it is inspiring to ride. Steady and explosive at the same time. Just one of those bikes you meld into, becomes an extension of you.
It's sad that they can't do this in house for a reasonable price. But if you're looking at the end result, it's fantastic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did a metric century on a Colnago CX-1 demo bike and agree it's very well thought out. I loved my Colnago Dream Plus and this frame and fork will more than likely be my next steed.

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
I've been eying the C-50 since they are being discontinued, but I am wondering how much different it would be from my 585...

BTW, I don't give a flying fish where the frames are made...

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
It's the "way of the world." It really is more important how it's made than where it's made.

But personally, I like to think my late '80's Falcon was brazed up by a guy named Nigel with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth in a dark, dingy workshop. Ditto for Luigi and my Bertoni. And I know that Dave Moulton or Russ Denny took the torch to my Fuso.

But I also love my Masi Speciale Carbon which was tig-welded by Sum Yung Guy.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I second the OP's approving post. Going into my second season on my CX-1 and I have yet to find any flaws with either the build quality or it's performance in any situation. Almost every high-end bike I've owned (maybe a dozen) has had some slight flaw, something that could have been slightly improved...I've yet to think, about the CX-1..."Geeze, I wish it was a little more______" or "Why the heck didn't they do ______?"

Mine has been used with pleasure in all aspects of the sport...12hr Ultra races, Crits, hillclimb TTs, stage races and daily training...even 'credit-card touring'..

Colnago seems to have hit upon the right combo of performance with this one...Not so light that it is flimsey and fragile..not too twitchy, yet not a dog. You don't need your torque wrench to change the saddle height or tighten any of the other adjustable parts..All the maintence areas have alloy inserts inside the carbon so you can actually work on the bike repeatedly. The finish seems pretty durable compared to many 'fancy' bikes...It is a bit 'garish' but that is the style, I guess.

I went right 'past' the bike thoughts in about 1/2 hr of riding this one. It ceases to 'exist' under you...you don't even have to concern yourself with what the CX-1 is doing...you think about what YOU are doing..or what the race is doing or what that road is going to do next...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I cannot argue with any of these comments. I just did 81 miles on my CX-1 today in NE Illinois' 20+ mph wind, 45ºF temps, and this steed never let me down. She's a beauty, and fills every requirement an all-round road rider could want. Among the very best, bar none and I have Wilier Triestina Cento Uno, Look 585, Colnago C-50HP, BMC SLC01, Merlin Titanium ExtraLight, and a DeRosa Protos. The CX-1 is outfitted with full Shimano Dura Ace 7900, but I seriously considering upgrading to Di2. ProBikeKit has a reasonable upgrade currently on sale for those who already have the standard D/A 7900 group set.

·
Banned
758 Posts
zoikz said:
Gone was the old world craftmanship, the loving weathered hands of artisans shaping the finest bikes for the best riders in the world.
I'm sure that the skills that the child laborers that work in the carbon fiber foundrys are up there with the Italian framebuilders of the past. And little hands are better for detail work. Oh, the romanticism...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gnarly 928 said:
I second the OP's approving post. Going into my second season on my CX-1 and I have yet to find any flaws with either the build quality or it's performance in any situation. Almost every high-end bike I've owned (maybe a dozen) has had some slight flaw, something that could have been slightly improved...I've yet to think, about the CX-1..."Geeze, I wish it was a little more______" or "Why the heck didn't they do ______?"

Mine has been used with pleasure in all aspects of the sport...12hr Ultra races, Crits, hillclimb TTs, stage races and daily training...even 'credit-card touring'..

Colnago seems to have hit upon the right combo of performance with this one...Not so light that it is flimsey and fragile..not too twitchy, yet not a dog. You don't need your torque wrench to change the saddle height or tighten any of the other adjustable parts..All the maintence areas have alloy inserts inside the carbon so you can actually work on the bike repeatedly. The finish seems pretty durable compared to many 'fancy' bikes...It is a bit 'garish' but that is the style, I guess.

I went right 'past' the bike thoughts in about 1/2 hr of riding this one. It ceases to 'exist' under you...you don't even have to concern yourself with what the CX-1 is doing...you think about what YOU are doing..or what the race is doing or what that road is going to do next...
To me this is exactly what a bike should do, disappear and become an extention of your abilities.. Thank for this write up. I'm pretty sure I'm going purchase my second Colnago now. BTW: The CX-1 is lighter than the EPS if I read correctly.

·
Climbin' Clyde
856 Posts
The CX-1 is at or near the top of my "next frame" list. I just have two questions for owners - 1. The downtube cable stops bug me a bit, being a big metal wing reacting to a lot of leverage, held on with two rivets. Are these puppies staying tight? 2. I've got a Dream HX now, and I'm OK with, but not a huge fan of, the slower "stage race" geometry of Colnagos. Anyone know if the CX-1 has traditional Colnago steering geomtery, or is it changed? Colnago's web site shows some geometry info, but leaves out the steerer tube angle.

·
Third Coast Colnago
363 Posts
I've read a couple of reviews elsewhere from a few years ago that stated the the CX-1 had a "soft rear, was twitchy, and wasn't very durable."

How does this ride? What are your feelings on the frame, other than it being beautiful (it obviously is!) I'm in the market and this looks like a very attractive option.

TIA

·
Registered
13 Posts
OMG! Soft, twitchy, non-durable? Absolutely ridiculous! It's stiff in the lateral, compliant in the vertical. Responds immediately to each pedal stroke. I think that covers all of the bases, don't you. The bike wasn't even around "a few years ago." It came out last year.

You will not go wrong choosing this frameset.

·
Third Coast Colnago
363 Posts
Thanks, bud. I was looking into a frameset nad at turns out that they are out of stock so now I'm looking at the CX-1 or a Pinarello fp3.

How long have you bee riding your? Any regrets? This is a lot of $ for me so I'm a little too cautious I guess. ;)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.