Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Velo News this morning:

"Police sorting through the records of the doctor arrested along with Liberty director Manolo Saiz say that they have come across a rather extensive list of clients. According to news reports from Spain today, records indicate that several high profile cyclists, including T-Mobile's Jan Ullrich, were among Eufemiano Fuentes's patients."

Discuss...

·
Cat 6
4,696 Posts
Stud Muzzin said:

"Police sorting through the records of the doctor arrested along with Liberty director Manolo Saiz say that they have come across a rather extensive list of clients. According to news reports from Spain today, records indicate that several high profile cyclists, including T-Mobile's Jan Ullrich, were among Eufemiano Fuentes's patients."

Discuss...
Where are you seeing this? Link?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Stud Muzzin said:

Discuss...
Maybe Jan is really a woman :)

·
Banned
608 Posts
Fuentes has been at this a long time. He could have records that go back five or more years. The number of riders implicated could be huge.

And then there are the 200 bags of blood. According to Manzano you would use two bags for a GT. One before the beginning and one ten days into the event. If all the bags were for autologus blood doping then we are looking at fifty to one hundred athletes being involved.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
Fuentes has been at this a long time. He could have records that go back five or more years. The number of riders implicated could be huge.

And then there are the 200 bags of blood. According to Manzano you would use two bags for a GT. One before the beginning and one ten days into the event. If all the bags were for autologus blood doping then we are looking at fifty to one hundred athletes being involved.
I know you've got to get the right blood to the right rider but it's hard to believe they would be so stupid as to have the names of riders anywhere near the stuff. You'd think it would all be coded with many steps between code and rider name.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Americano_a_Roma said:
Connecting riders to blood would be as simple as a DNA test; they presumably have access to "B" blood samples from hundreds of riders anyway, though I'm not sure what European law says about DNA testing without permission.
To repeat the point I made in another thread, proving that one of the bags is Rider A's proves he didn't dope not that he did. If he did the bag would be empty. If they go through the trash and test remnants in empty bags that would be another story.

G

·
terzo rene said:
To repeat the point I made in another thread, proving that one of the bags is Rider A's proves he didn't dope not that he did. If he did the bag would be empty. If they go through the trash and test remnants in empty bags that would be another story.
The packets are apparently labled with the riders names, and the official statement say "packets" not bags - that would indicated to me that they've already been centrifuged. That doesn't proved that they that doped, it does show intent; which could be used to builder circumstantial cases or get additional warrants. Fortunately, for those involved, it appears that the packets had not been doped yet. I imagine that in a criminal case, DNA testing is allowed, or at least easily aquired by judicial order.

That said, there are going to be alot of riders who will become 'suspect' in the public eye as names continute to leak out.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
terzo rene said:
I'm not so sure the UCI would have to stand up to any sort of legal like standards to suspend riders. Sure you could take them to courts of arbitration after the fact. Is there any sort of logical explanation of why an endurance athlete would willingly remove their red blood cells? Let alone a couple hundred of them doing it at the same place? This is one of those times when you hope that no sort of legal silliness intervenes if you want to see the sport cleaned up.

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,170 Posts
Americano_a_Roma said:
Connecting riders to blood would be as simple as a DNA test; they presumably have access to "B" blood samples from hundreds of riders anyway, though I'm not sure what European law says about DNA testing without permission.
Just to clarify, whey the say that they found "blood", they didn't find whole blood, they found red cells. Transfusing whole blood does nothing to boost performace as your concentrations remain constant. Red cells do not contain DNA and can only be "matched" to within a high probablility. If they had whole blood (containing white cells, and thus DNA), then an exact match could be made if samples could be obtained from suspected riders.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
Nice Foggy

blood had been 'fuged yes? Forgot RBC's don't hold genetic markers. the video footage is what is going to hurt as it is hard to explain a man attending a Gyn's office

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
so Jan is seeing fuentes

and fuentes was working with Saiz. and Saiz was the DS of ONCE and Johann rode for ONCE and Johann is the DS of Postal Discovery, and LA rode for him. See I did it, it's all lance's fault

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm a biochemist, and I promise you that there's DNA in that 'fuged blood. Of course they're enriched in red blood cells (which are indeed DNA-free), but there will be enough residual cells of other types to run a PCR. It only takes a couple nanograms of DNA.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
cool info Americanorama

gonna get ugly

and Jan rode with Bjarne (Mr. 60%) who beat Indurain and is Basso's DS. You know who else beat Indurain?
Johann, who rode for Saiz and is/was the DS of LA. Oh and Riis and Johann both DS'd Tyler who was a domestique for LA!
Double Points as I got Bjarne/CSC in there as well AND tied him to LA.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.