Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
professional lurker
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Christmas, my wife purchased the Burley D'lite trailer. This is very significant because we had "the talk" about how many hours I am away from the house on my bike and with number two coming, she expected me to be around more on the weekends. After discussing it for a while, my wife said that I could ride as much as I wanted if I could take our daughter (22 month old) with me. So for my wife to get me the trailer means that she has "bought off" on my continuing to cycle. Only one catch. I put my daughter in it the other day and she screamed her head off for the two minutes I rode. I wasn't going that fast at all, but I'm guessing I should have eased her in more slowly. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? Or have I done irreversable damage!

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,772 Posts
Benadryl

The nuclear option...

You could also try distracting her with toys or books. All people, but especially kids as you've probably learned are creatures of habit, so if maybe you can ease the transition with some comfort items, she'll eventually get used to the routine.

Portable DVD player is also an option...

·
Registered
499 Posts
I saw a guy on mtb with with one of those one day. He had two kids in the back. They looked to be 3 or 4. He was struggling to tow them along. They kept hollering, "Go faster daddy, go faster. Mommy's beating you."

It was pretty funny.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Some suggestions

I've been trailering with my 26-month-old since he was about 8 months. Of course at that early age he couldn't complain much and spent most of the time sleeping, but there are a few things you should do:

1) Give her some toys in the trailer. Her favorite small board book, a stuffed animal that you don't mind getting dirty, etc.

2) Ease her into riding slowly. Start with short rides, maybe only a half hour, and increase the length based on HER getting used to and enjoying the ride.

3) Stop partway through for a snack and play. Stop at a playground, beach, nice overlook, whatever, and let her have a snack, stretch her legs, and see more of daddy than his legs and butt.

Good luck!!!

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
If my kid screamed when I put her in a trailer, I wouldn't take her in a trailer anymore. Just because I want to ride doesn't mean my daughter wants to ride in a trailer behind me, scared to death.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm getting a trailer for my little girl next month as my wife and I agreed no trailer untill she is 1year old. Man I hope she likes it or that is pretty much the end of my season and I can't take any more time on the rollers.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
It might help to get her used to the trailer away from the bike. Can you bring it in the living room, and let her watch TV from it or something? Perhaps where she doesn't have to be strapped in. Then try again.

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
HIJACK...sort of

So what's it like pulling a trailer? Am I gonna need a triple to get up any decent hills? What's the speed drop like? If you cruise at 20-22 normally what's the drop gonna be with a 1yo?

·
Registered
36 Posts
My kid hates the trailer too! He keeps sticking his head out the holes whining at all other people on the road.

To get Chopper used to the trailer we would throw food inside it and he would go in by himelf and retrieve it. Then we would keep it open for him to jump in and out of while sitting in the garage. Then I tied his ass up inside it and road down the nearest fire road at 20 mph. After he threw up, he was fine.

·
Clyde-o-Matic
713 Posts
culdeus said:
HIJACK...sort of

So what's it like pulling a trailer? Am I gonna need a triple to get up any decent hills? What's the speed drop like? If you cruise at 20-22 normally what's the drop gonna be with a 1yo?
It's kind of like adding 100 pounds and pulling a parachute. If it's windy, you may need the triple without hills. Wait till you the oldest on a trail bike and the youngest in the trailer. That's when you really need the triple. When I pull the kid(s), I'm usually doing on my hybrid as I know it's not going to be long enough to worry about using the road bike or getting up any real speed.

When they are really young, I found it hard to keep them comfortable in the trailer. Unless your trailer will accomodate their car seat, I don't think a pedatrician would recommend putting them in the trailer before 1 year old as a child's neck muscles are strong enough to support their head for all the bumping and bouncing that will happen in a trailer. Personally we had much better luck with kids in the trailer when they were older than 18 months and made sure that they had toys and drinks. Including a stop at the park is also a good idea.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Something that worked very well with my kids (in addition to toys and drinks/snacks in the trailer) was to make a stop at a playground/park a part of every trailer excursion in the beginning. This never failed to entice them to behave. A side note is that the younger of my 2 boys was "into it" from about 18 mos. on. Every time he was in the garage he would exclaim "Bi-col, Bi-col" and try to climb into the trailer. His older brother (by 2 years & 4 Mos.) was a bit more temperamental, but the park incentive always worked. When they could both no longer fit in the trailer I put a stoker kit on our tandem for the big guy (4.5 years old at the time, last year) and hooked the Burley to it. Now, at 5 years and 8 months, he's riding a 20" w/o training wheels and going up some decent hills on our rides of 5 - 6 miles a few times a week (with the little guy, now 3 years & 4 mos. still in tow in the Burley). The big guy is now "in training" to become a "champion" although both have their own "yellow jerseys" . Bottom line is try and make it fun for them.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
get the old lady to go out on the ride with you.
perhaps her being visible and also distracting along side might help.

try scooting her along in the yard inside it

all else fails, duct tape

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Never let a 2-year-old make your decisions.

I don't want to sound all grinchlike here, but if you get into the habit of letting a 2-year-old make decisions for you, you're going to have a miserable next few years. They're notoriously mercurial, intractable, demanding and inconsistent. She may hate the trailer today, love it tomorrow and hate it again Saturday. In any case, she'll spend much of her life doing things she'd just as soon skip and going places when she'd rather stay home or go to the beach, and IMO she's not too young for an introduction to that. Look around you for some 15-year-olds who haven't learned it (they're EVERYWHERE) and you'll see the result.
Don't misunderstand--I'm not advocating cruelty, abuse or even force, just steady, gentle pressure in the direction you want her to go.. My kids are in their 20s now, and both are productive and happy adults. But occasionally in a family, somebody has to make decisions that are unpopular with somebody else, and you're helping determine right now whether you'll be the one making the rules or the one living under the dictates of a teen-ager.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,668 Posts
I have a 2 year old as well and I think Cory is pretty much spot on. I can see how it might come across the wrong way, but he has a very valid point.

I have both a trailer and a topeak rear mounted seat. My daughter likes the trailer fairly well, but she loves the rear mounted carrier. I think it's because she has better visibility and likes the rush of wind. The trailer is handy on longer rides when she can nap in the back.

I personally prefer the topeak carrier. Much faster... hauling the trailer is like dragging an open para-sail behind you. I'm already slow enough as it is. I don't need more handicaps.

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
culdeus said:
HIJACK...sort of

when I cruise at 20 alone, I'm going about 17 pulling the trailer. Its really not that bad once you get going. just avoid going fast around sharp turns - they can roll.

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
culdeus said:
HIJACK...sort of

So what's it like pulling a trailer?
I'm curious about the same thing. My kids are too old to ride in a trailer but I would consider getting one for cargo (touring, grocery runs, etc.).

It can't be worse than my dad had it. I remember him towing me around in the early 1970s in a trailer that he built out of plywood. Yes, plywood. He would tow me behind his Gitane TdF to picnics and stuff. I don't know if there were commercially available child trailers back then or not, but building stuff like that was his way. I shudder to think how heavy that thing was :eek:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Just some comments:

1) Keep trying. Tell her you are going to ride to the park so she can play a little.

2) Some kids seem to like them better than others. My 2 year old gets happier the faster I go. 25 mph down a fire road, he loves, uphill, he complains a bit.

3) Use a mountain bike to tow, trailers drag more the faster you go.

4) The trailer doesn't really hurt the speed on the flats so much, but you can definetely feel them on the climbs. It was actually not nearly as bad as I thought. Towing my 120 pound dog did have a real effect on performance.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I don't know if there were commercially available child trailers back then or not, but building stuff like that was his way.
In 1971, a fledgling company named Cannondale introduced a bicycle kid's trailer named "Bugger." They still turn up on ebay every once in a while.

On a different note, I think it's wonderful how cycling moves across the generations in your family.

·
Super Moderator
40,410 Posts
Another vote for assertive parenting here; remind yourself that your kid came to live with you, not the other way 'round. And while she may wail like a banshee, at 22 mos. there's certainly nothing harmful to having her ride the trailer, she probably just doesn't want to. If she did this when she rode in your car, you wouldn't stop driving with her, would you? At the risk of sounding harsh, might I suggest a distracting cookie and juice box, combined with a brisk pace so the wind drowns out every minor little squawk (she's not dying back there). Eventually, she'll get tired of complaining, and she'll relax and enjoy the ride.

My daughter did the same thing at first, but after a couple of rides, she got acclimated to it, and then it became her favorite thing to do. And BTW, you should be able to tow both critters (after your younger's 6 mo. or so) for sometime; the Burley has a 100 lb. weight limit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Which trailer is good?

Hi folks, I'm so psyched in getting a trailer and getting my baby daughter out riding with daddy. Although she is only 5 months old, I figure by summer she will be ok to ride in the trailer on smooth flat roads.

My issue is finding a good trailer that would break the bank. Does anyone have any opinions on the Schwinn bike trailers?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts